Ex Player James Beadle

I was high up in the South Stand yesterday and there were a few times the front three made good runs after Beadle had caught the ball but Beadle either didn't see them or chose not to attempt the pass/throw to then even though it would've put them in acres of space and the team in a very attacking position. Instead he held on to ball, allowed Grimsby to regroup and then rolled in 5 yards to one of our defenders.

He attempted it once but ballooned the kick and it was intercepted easily. Perhaps something for this exceptional keeper to work on?

I was high up in the South Stand yesterday and there were a few times the front three made good runs after Beadle had caught the ball but Beadle either didn't see them or chose not to attempt the pass/throw to then even though it would've put them in acres of space and the team in a very attacking position. Instead he held on to ball, allowed Grimsby to regroup and then rolled in 5 yards to one of our defenders.

He attempted it once but ballooned the kick and it was intercepted easily. Perhaps something for this exceptional keeper to work on?
Are you me in a previous life?

The more likely scenario here is that he saw something you didn’t that might have been 2 or 3 more actions ahead. I think we’ve watched him enough now to know he doesn’t miss much and isn’t afraid to play a difficult pass.

I haven’t seen a goalkeeper with his level of distribution at this level for quite a while. To have that frame and still be technically sound with your feet is a rarity in itself. Add to that how difficult it is to put the ball past him and you’ve got some pretty scary ingredients at 18-19 years old. Mature it seems and taken L1 in his stride.

I wonder how Nick Pope compared at this age? Very similar in their stature and style but Beadle with more to offer with his feet. Pope should really be playing for England regularly as he’s comfortably our best. Credit to Brighton, looks like they’ve found another one and we’re getting the sneak preview.

The more likely scenario here is that he saw something you didn’t that might have been 2 or 3 more actions ahead. I think we’ve watched him enough now to know he doesn’t miss much and isn’t afraid to play a difficult pass.

I haven’t seen a goalkeeper with his level of distribution at this level for quite a while. To have that frame and still be technically sound with your feet is a rarity in itself. Add to that how difficult it is to put the ball past him and you’ve got some pretty scary ingredients at 18-19 years old. Mature it seems and taken L1 in his stride.

I wonder how Nick Pope compared at this age? Very similar in their stature and style but Beadle with more to offer with his feet. Pope should really be playing for England regularly as he’s comfortably our best. Credit to Brighton, looks like they’ve found another one and we’re getting the sneak preview.

Two actions ahead would've been a shot on goal at least several times yesterday.

His distribution is neat and tidy but I'd like to see it become more positive and effective.

His distribution is neat and tidy but I'd like to see it become more positive and effective.
What does that translate as, though, more risky? Faster (rushed)? If you lose possession in doing that (or soon after) it’s not more positive it’s just careless. That’s not really the game we currently play so I don’t think this is a Beadle issue.

Also consider who his parent club are and how they currently play, what they want to see, as well as England coaches.

What does that translate as, though, more risky? Faster (rushed)? If you lose possession in doing that (or soon after) it’s not more positive it’s just careless. That’s not really the game we currently play so I don’t think this is a Beadle issue.

Also consider who his parent club are and how they currently play, what they want to see, as well as England coaches.

I'm not talking long, aimless balls. Yesterday the wide men were unmarked and had acres of space on the halfway line and would've taken a simple pass/throw from 12/18 yards from our goal to them.

Whilst he's playing for us he should be playing the we Buckingham wants him too which does seem to be quite pragmatic with slow build ups which is probably why he didn't make positive passes yesterday in fairness to Beadle.

I'm not talking long, aimless balls. Yesterday the wide men were unmarked and had acres of space on the halfway line and would've taken a simple pass/throw from 12/18 yards from our goal to them.

Whilst he's playing for us he should be playing the we Buckingham wants him too which does seem to be quite pragmatic with slow build ups which is probably why he didn't make positive passes yesterday in fairness to Beadle.
You’ve answered your own question 🙂. No doubt he has the ability to play it but just because someone is available to receive it doesn’t mean it’s the right call. If they have no support or other players are not in position to mitigate the risk of losing the ball seconds later then he’s right not to play it. Only takes a poor touch… he’s probably instructed to play it only if 2 or 3 other things are in place first, otherwise retain the ball.

You’ve answered your own question 🙂. No doubt he has the ability to play it but just because someone is available to receive it doesn’t mean it’s the right call. If they have no support or other players are not in position to mitigate the risk of losing the ball seconds later then he’s right not to play it. Only takes a poor touch… he’s probably instructed to play it only if 2 or 3 other things are in place first, otherwise retain the ball.

Which is sad, I'd love to see the players unleashed and the opposition unlocked by positive distribution.

Which is sad, I'd love to see the players unleashed and the opposition unlocked by positive distribution.
Time and a place for that, I suppose. Better to have it and not need it than the reverse which is essentially what we had with Eastwood and Stevens. The good news is we know he’s got the ability so if we need to go full pedal-to-the-metal then it’s a good option for us.

Also why do England have so many different age squads?
U-17, U-18, U-19, elite (U-20), U-21, and senior.

How do all these age categories work and someone young enough at 16 could presumably play in any of the squads?
Do they still allow over-age players?
Just thinking about this. I wonder if it's a good idea - as you can't quite know who's going to make it at the very highest level and having more teams allows a greater number of players to get some international experience that could help the main team in the future.

Like you said he's poor with ball at his feet that's why he don't start for England.

Like you said he's poor with ball at his feet that's why he don't start for England.
Considering nobody puts England under any pressure I’m surprised he hasn’t been give more of a chance. I think he’d cope just fine passing 5-10 yards under no pressure and much more likely to make the big saves.

At age 21 Nick Pope was plying his trade on loan at Aldershot in 2013 from Charlton. At James Beadle’s current age (19) he was at Bury Town.

At age 21 Nick Pope was plying his trade on loan at Aldershot in 2013 from Charlton. At James Beadle’s current age (19) he was at Bury Town.

Beadle is well ahead of where Pope was, he was on loan at fourth division Crewe for the second half of last season when he was 18. I don't think people have really allowed for how far Beadle is ahead of the curve for a goalkeeper at his age, injuries aside I would say its almost guaranteed he will be at a championship club next season as a starter, how many twenty year old goalies will be doing it at that level?

Back
Top Bottom