General Is Simon Eastwood our best ever keeper?

• Thread starter Shropshire U
  • Start date
My all time favourite would be Roy Burton.
But I think there is something else to factor in here
that the design of the footballs through the years
In Burties day he could pick up the flight of the ball early
and make the save because there was less movement in the air
than todays light balls.
Todays balls are likely to dip and swerve all over the place,which is why
keepers are more likely to punch than catch.
How Roy would have coped with that we will never know of course.
So I'll stick with Roy Burton but Eastwood and Whitehead close.

He's up there, no doubt. But still not at the level of Burton, Whitehead and Gerrard (the last of whom still remains the best keeper I have seen for OUFC, short though his stay was).

Excellent shout on Gerrard who was superhuman at times. Him and Whitehead for me.

Roy Burton every time. Mainly because he was not only good, but he just didn't LOOK like a goalkeeper.

Jim Barron for me who if I remember correctly was sold for £100k in 1970. Allowing for inflation, that's over £1.5 million today. Simon's a great keeper but that would surely be way over his value?

Jim Barron for me who if I remember correctly was sold for £100k in 1970. Allowing for inflation, that's over £1.5 million today. Simon's a great keeper but that would surely be way over his value?
Went to see his debut at the City Ground. Think Forest won 2 nil. Good goalie but lousy dead ball kicker. Goal kicks hardly reached the half way line.

Nobody has mentioned Steve Hardwick. Part of our best ever team. Admittedly he had Bobby Mac in front of him to help out.

John Milkins? Old Teflon fingers himself ?
Jimmy Barron and Roy Burton for me. Roy was partial to a moony or two at the LRT on request of course lol
Milkins, jet black hair, perfect parting, never a hair out of place! Played for Pompey so forget.

In my time as an Oxford United Supporter, Eastwood has been the best. That's including Phil Whitehead. I seem to remember the latter being very slow off his line, just like his chant!

Barron, Burton, Whitehead and Eastwood.

Plus an hounoury mention for Ryan Clarke at his best (before he had to have both shoulders operated on)

Back
Top Bottom