Gavin Whyte

It feels really nice to hear this said about one of our young players, by someone I respect a lot.

From the BBC text:

Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill on Sky Sports: "I was delighted for Gavin Whyte. A great start for him. He's made an impact in training and it couldn't go any better for him.
"I've watched him for a number of years now and you saw a player with real talent. He's stronger and quicker and his talent was never in question.

Ta. I was racking my brains thinking that one of our squad must have scored for one of the littler nations. Thought Baptiste and Gino had scored for their respective nations lately.

Here's a more tricky one so we need someone with the time and inclination to find it - who was the last European player to score for his country whilst contracted as an Oxford player (prior to Whyte's strike tonight)?

I'd hazard a guess at Dean Saunders, maybe, but I could be overlooking someone really obvious ...
Phil Gray?

Phil Gray?
Reckon that's a good shout. He must have been here around 2000/01or so, Magilton and Melville would have been around 1994 or so? Can't think of any other Internationals unless Craig Davies played for Wales or was that just u21's?

Mark Watson played a lot of games for Canada while he was with us (not European I know but full international) but not sure if he scored?

Mark Watson scored his third and final goal for Canada on 24 February 2000 against Trinidad and Tobago in the CONCACAF Gold Cup. This was two months before his final game for us.

Reckon that's a good shout. He must have been here around 2000/01or so, Magilton and Melville would have been around 1994 or so? Can't think of any other Internationals unless Craig Davies played for Wales or was that just u21's?
Davies didn't score for the full national team. It's possible Krebis scored for the national team in his time with us, but I can't think of a full OUFC player to have scored an international goal.

It's possible we had a random player play for a random Caribbean country, but the names don't spring to mind.

Great finish and great debut for young Whyte......more of the same at Wycombe on sat please;)

Davies didn't score for the full national team. It's possible Krebis scored for the national team in his time with us, but I can't think of a full OUFC player to have scored an international goal.

It's possible we had a random player play for a random Caribbean country, but the names don't spring to mind.
Adriel (AJ) George scored for Antigua and Barbuda in 2016 on 23 March in a Caribbean Cup Qualifying match against Aruba - he was released from OUFC in the summer of that year.

BTW - GRebis scored twice for Latvia, but after he left OUFC.
O'Dowda came on as sub for Ireland in May 2016 before again leaving that summer, but that is probably the last player to play for a European nation while on the books of OUFC - he has yet to score for them but surely will in time.

Last edited:
Adriel (AJ) George scored for Antigua and Barbuda in 2016 on 23 March in a Caribbean Cup Qualifying match against Aruba - he was released from OUFC in the summer of that year.

BTW - GRebis scored twice for Latvia, but after he left OUFC.
O'Dowda came on as sub for Ireland in May 2016 before again leaving that summer, but that is probably the last player to play for a European nation while on the books of OUFC - he has yet to score for them but surely will in time.

Benji Büchel for Liechtenstein? He definitely played for them in 2017 while still on our books.

Phil Gray scored the last of his 6 International goals against Malta on 2nd September 2000. HE joined OUFC in November 2000. Close!!

David Sloan? our first full International player.... Im away from Oxford currently n only a smatphone (which IS smarter than me) to try n check stats from years ago... cant remember if he did or didnt score an International goal ( or more)? ....Indelibly burned in my memory however was his goal that knocked Scum out of the league cup (1-0) , when Scum were league cup holders :D:p:cool:

David Sloan? our first full International player.... Im away from Oxford currently n only a smatphone (which IS smarter than me) to try n check stats from years ago... cant remember if he did or didnt score an International goal ( or more)? ....Indelibly burned in my memory however was his goal that knocked Scum out of the league cup (1-0) , when Scum were league cup holders :D:p:cool:
He made two international appearances for NI while with us but didn't score

Dean Saunders scored his first international goal on 19th October 1988. He left Oxford two weeks later.
Jim Magilton was with Oxford from October90-Feb 94. HE scored for the Republic in Feb93 against Latvia
ANdy Melville scored 3 international goals, but over three years after leaving Oxford. Likewise Aldridge didnt get his first until three years after kleaving too. Meanwhile Billy Hamiltons last international goal was a year before joining.
Van Kessel did score for Curacoa against Bolivia on 24 MArch this year, while on loan at Oxford
Matt Elliott didnt realise he was Scottish until a year after leaving us.

Most recent appearances while with OUFC ( ** scored)
Sep18 - Whyte (NI) **
Mar 18 - van KEssel (Curacoa) **
Nov 17 - Baptiste (Grenada) **
Aug 16 - Buchel (Leichtenstein)
(Jun 16 - Crocombe (N Zealand) - bench only)
May 16 - O'Dowda (Ireland)
Mar 16 - George (Antigua and Barbuda) **

Others (last app)
Sep 05 - Davies (wales)
Feb 00 - Watson (Canada) **
Feb 00 - Arendse (South Africa)
Sep 93 - Magilton (Ireland)
Apr 93 - Melville (Wales)
Oct 88 - Saunders (Wales) **
Oct 87 - R Houghton (ireland)
Oct 86 - Aldridge (Ireland)
Jun 86 - Hamilton (N Ireland)

Other scorers: (last goal)
Feb 00 - Watson (Canada) **
Feb 93 - Magilton (Ireland) **
Oct 88 - Saunders (Wales) **

I'm sure there are plenty others, but at the moment these are the most recent appearances, scorers and European scorers that I have (feel free to suggest more)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom