General Fans Open Day

The name and number of our next signing is printed on the back of it.

And what’s that next to it? A kettlebell? A kettlebell and a shirt? Or maybe a jersey, as some might call it?

A kettlebell and a jersey? A ‘k’ and a ‘j’?

KJ? Kyle Joseph?

Fuuuuucking hell.
We’re through the looking glass here, people.

Fancy a brew?image0.jpeg

Haha. They really were amazing days.

Big photos of 500 odd kids in front of the London Road (which I have up in the loft somewhere)? Big game against the squad on the pitch, autographs from the squad in the Beech Road? Rosie handing out Wagon Wheels? Marvellous.

Just seeing things at pitch level was amazing.

We need to get back to things like this for the kids in future years at The Triangle, should it happen. Days that you remember your whole life.
Was that the game where the beast played?

Haha. They really were amazing days.

Big photos of 500 odd kids in front of the London Road (which I have up in the loft somewhere)? Big game against the squad on the pitch, autographs from the squad in the Beech Road? Rosie handing out Wagon Wheels? Marvellous.

Just seeing things at pitch level was amazing.

We need to get back to things like this for the kids in future years at The Triangle, should it happen. Days that you remember your whole life.
I once met the squad at a car dealership on the Iffley Road. Must have been around 1997 or so. They had a competition where people had to guess how many players could cram themselves into a car on the showroom floor, and all those who guessed right won a prize.

Darren Purse was thoroughly uninterested and wandered around on the forecourt with his girlfriend for a bit before leaving, so he wasn’t involved. I vividly remember a bunch of the players cramming themselves in, limbs all over the shop, and then everyone screaming with horror as Brian Wilsterman started trying to climb in through the back.

And yes, I am aware of how this all sounds. I assure you, it was just as exciting to watch as it is to hear about.

I once met the squad at a car dealership on the Iffley Road. Must have been around 1997 or so. They had a competition where people had to guess how many players could cram themselves into a car on the showroom floor, and all those who guessed right won a prize.

Darren Purse was thoroughly uninterested and wandered around on the forecourt with his girlfriend for a bit before leaving, so he wasn’t involved. I vividly remember a bunch of the players cramming themselves in, limbs all over the shop, and then everyone screaming with horror as Brian Wilsterman started trying to climb in through the back.

And yes, I am aware of how this all sounds. I assure you, it was just as exciting to watch as it is to hear about.
I’d take stories like this over 99% of any other reminiscences about goals or games. Glorious.

If you mean Creighton, then no, this was at the Manor in the mid to late nineties.
The only reason I mentioned the beast I do remember something similar at the Kastad thought it might have been when Purse was here at the Kastad.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I’d take stories like this over 99% of any other reminiscences about goals or games. Glorious.
I remember talking to John Aldridge in McDonald’s in Oxford the day after we beat Newcastle talking about the game and my conversation was heading to the stage where I was about to say shame you didn’t score then I realised he didn’t he was banned so needed to get that line in shame you didn’t play last night. But as with Big Billy two great guys who had time to talk to the ordinary supporters as was Roy Burton who had time to talk the fan in the street.

• React
I remember talking to John Aldridge in McDonald’s in Oxford the day after we beat Newcastle talking about the game and my conversation was heading to the stage where I was about to say shame you didn’t score then I realised he didn’t he was banned so needed to get that line in shame you didn’t play last night. But as with Big Billy two great guys who had time to talk to the ordinary supporters as was Roy Burton who had time to talk the fan in the street.
Good stuff. Although Liverpool is understandably Aldo’s main love (and employer still I believe), the respect he still shows to Oxford today is heartening.

Good stuff. Although Liverpool is understandably Aldo’s main love (and employer still I believe), the respect he still shows to Oxford today is heartening.
Goes without saying

• React

reality-dreams-reality-dreams-father-dougal.gif

This does sound like a fevered dream after an evening gorging on fine continental cheeses, but then so did a lot of things around the club in the 90s. Amazing times.

Has anyone been contacted about going to this event? (the open day. not the moody fingering)

Back
Top Bottom