Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

Todd Kane expected to join Hull
EDIT: Just seen this in other thread:rolleyes:

There’s a snippet in the current bun sport pages about Issac Buckley-Ricketts
C674C75C-1F58-4D21-BBF1-698D0E4BBDA2.jpeg

I see Michael Collins is now manager at Bradford City (and has just signed Jack Payne).
Quite a meteoric rise from playing for York & Orient after he left us.
Collins is old news, man, but Payne is new! We could probably have had him but are quite well supplied in that position, plus I think relying on him made us very one dimensional

Isaac Buckley-Ricketts signs for Peterborough on a 3 year deal.

Steve Evans:
He has had a brief loan spell out at Oxford but it is fair to say that Manchester City and Peterborough United probably have ideas to play the boy in a similar way compared to what was a little bit foreign to him when he played at Oxford and that isn’t a criticism, it is just systems of play.

I forgot Peterborough were the complete footballing side.

Steve Evans:
He has had a brief loan spell out at Oxford but it is fair to say that Manchester City and Peterborough United probably have ideas to play the boy in a similar way compared to what was a little bit foreign to him when he played at Oxford and that isn’t a criticism, it is just systems of play.

Mmm well good luck to the lad but he will have to be a lot better than he was ay Oxford and have a significantly better attitude. 3 years is a bit of a gamble (although Evans is unlikely to be there 3 years I would have thought)

Steve Evans:

We havnt forgotten that evans is a complete t**t though.

James Roberts having a trial at Torquay. Played quite well last night by all accounts.

Mmm well good luck to the lad but he will have to be a lot better than he was ay Oxford and have a significantly better attitude. 3 years is a bit of a gamble (although Evans is unlikely to be there 3 years I would have thought)

I don't think systems of play dictate how much a player runs and how strong he is.

Ivo has moved back to Halmstads on loan for the remainder of their season (ends November).

I'm disappointed he wasn't given a chance here, and hope it wasn't a case of egos relating to the fact he wasn't a current regime signing. His CV suggests he would have been a quality operator at this level.

Ivo has moved back to Halmstads on loan for the remainder of their season (ends November).

I'm disappointed he wasn't given a chance here, and hope it wasn't a case of egos relating to the fact he wasn't a current regime signing. His CV suggests he would have been a quality operator at this level.

Why would KR not want good players here? It’s not like he hasn’t carried on using other players already at the club.

Why would KR not want good players here? It’s not like he hasn’t carried on using other players already at the club.

You tell me, my guess is that he is on a substantial wage which would be reasonable grounds to move him on.

Judging by some of KR's comments to the media, he is extremely critical of the past regime's signings (which is largely fair but to a degree I think he plays to the crowd).

Every single one of Pep's signings has now been shipped out (excluding Mousinho) since Obika and Henry were lined up prior to his arrival. What a shocking waste of a decent budget.

I was disappointed we didn't get to see him too, because, as you say, he's got a decent CV. However, someone I know who saw his one performance in a yellow shirt (Senior Cup tie - I think) said that he was extremely pedestrian and sideways in his play. Injuries have probably taken their toll and I think he'd have struggled with the pace of League 1 football.

You tell me, my guess is that he is on a substantial wage which would be reasonable grounds to move him on.

Judging by some of KR's comments to the media, he is extremely critical of the past regime's signings (which is largely fair but to a degree I think he plays to the crowd).

Every single one of Pep's signings has now been shipped out (excluding Mousinho) since Obika and Henry were lined up prior to his arrival. What a shocking waste of a decent budget.

Don’t disagree with any of that but I would trust the coaching team on such matters and they clearly felt from an early stage that he didn’t have the physicality for the style of play we wish to employ.

And I particularly agree with your point about KR playing to the crowd. He absolutely does this but from a PR point of view I’m glad he does. It always surprises me that managers give off such a poor public persona (c.f. Wilder in his last few years here and Pep’s infamous post 7-0 interview).

Don’t disagree with any of that but I would trust the coaching team on such matters and they clearly felt from an early stage that he didn’t have the physicality for the style of play we wish to employ.

And I particularly agree with your point about KR playing to the crowd. He absolutely does this but from a PR point of view I’m glad he does. It always surprises me that managers give off such a poor public persona (c.f. Wilder in his last few years here and Pep’s infamous post 7-0 interview).

Be careful what you wish for. Talbot was honest in his appraisals after every match and pretty much mapped the fans' opinion of the team. It's probably why he clung on for so long. KR is undoubtedly a better bet than Talbot, but we should be mindful of the line between hearing what we want to hear and what we need to hear.

As for Pekalski, it's not really getting rid of him, is it? November will be here before we know it and then we're laboured with him again unless Halmstads are willing to buy out his contract.

I do feel sorry for Ivo though. Leaving your home country for what should be an exciting spell abroad only to spend it all injured and then unwanted when you can play must be a real drag. I hope he finds football enjoyable again wherever he ends up.

Be careful what you wish for. Talbot was honest in his appraisals after every match and pretty much mapped the fans' opinion of the team. It's probably why he clung on for so long. KR is undoubtedly a better bet than Talbot, but we should be mindful of the line between hearing what we want to hear and what we need to hear.

As for Pekalski, it's not really getting rid of him, is it? November will be here before we know it and then we're laboured with him again unless Halmstads are willing to buy out his contract.

I do feel sorry for Ivo though. Leaving your home country for what should be an exciting spell abroad only to spend it all injured and then unwanted when you can play must be a real drag. I hope he finds football enjoyable again wherever he ends up.

I was having a sabbatical away from OUFC (and football generally) during that period so I can’t really comment on that.

My point on KR is more general in terms of his own PR and approach. He is proactive and looks for the positives which is a rarity in football managers (and perhaps a sign he is still relatively young in his field).

Take for example his decision to take part in a long phone-in on joining the club to ingratiate himself and portray a positive message when the club needed a real boost having been in a tail-spin for a number of months.

That’s the kind of stuff which helps not only KR but the club more generally in terms of its appeal and outward optimism. He knows what he’s doing and he does it well.

He’s liable to catch himself out (e.g. delayed timeframes for signings) but generally I think it’s better than a more grounded approach which neither necessarily inspires or puts bums on seats.

But he does put his hands up when speaking thoughts out loud which don't run to plan and knows what fans will hold him to account for.

I was having a sabbatical away from OUFC (and football generally) during that period so I can’t really comment on that.

My point on KR is more general in terms of his own PR and approach. He is proactive and looks for the positives which is a rarity in football managers (and perhaps a sign he is still relatively young in his field).

Take for example his decision to take part in a long phone-in on joining the club to ingratiate himself and portray a positive message when the club needed a real boost having been in a tail-spin for a number of months.

That’s the kind of stuff which helps not only KR but the club more generally in terms of its appeal and outward optimism. He knows what he’s doing and he does it well.

He’s liable to catch himself out (e.g. delayed timeframes for signings) but generally I think it’s better than a more grounded approach which neither necessarily inspires or puts bums on seats.

As far as KR is concerned, I think we are going to have to accept that his (over?) enthusiasm and desire to be positive might lead to over-expectation on our part if we take every utterance at face value. You might say that has already happened over the last six weeks or so.

But even so, I agree that has to be better than the 'poor me' defensive attitude we have seen in other managers.

Back
Top Bottom