Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

FC Vaduz with Benji Büchel in goal (and as captain) beat Rapid Vienna 1-0 in Austria becoming the first Liechtenstein team to qualify for group stages of a European competition. Bravo!
Pretty incredible story, aren’t they in the Swiss 2nd tier and can only qualify because they get an invitation into the Swiss cup?

To be fair everyone here thought he was no use either. Maybe didn’t help that we never really saw him play in the flesh.
Actually quite a few people said he looked decent enough at right wing (like when he played in front of Sam Long and combined for that goal), but he didn’t get much of a chance there.

Pretty incredible story, aren’t they in the Swiss 2nd tier and can only qualify because they get an invitation into the Swiss cup?
No, they qualify for Europe through their own national cup...it's the only way as all the "bigger" clubs play in the Swiss league pyramid. Wonder what would happen if Vaduz won the Swiss league? Kind of like Swansea or Cardiff winning the Premiership I suppose.

€3 million minimum for reaching the group stages, incidentally!

Actually quite a few people said he looked decent enough at right wing (like when he played in front of Sam Long and combined for that goal), but he didn’t get much of a chance there.

Well, he's not playing at right wing for Charlton where he's getting all this Championship attention. He's just doing better as a defender there than he was here.

Well, he's not playing at right wing for Charlton where he's getting all this Championship attention. He's just doing better as a defender there than he was here.
Maybe he gets on with his manager these days and is therefore happier going to work?

And before anyone kicks off, I did post at the time that they weren’t getting on. I’m not taking a dig at Robinson, I’m not “blaming” Robinson blah blah blah. I’m offering a legitimate contribution. They didn’t see eye to eye - Clare could be as much to blame as anybody for that.

I wonder if we were savvy enough to include a sell-on…

Maybe he gets on with his manager these days and is therefore happier going to work?

And before anyone kicks off, I did post at the time that they weren’t getting on. I’m not taking a dig at Robinson, I’m not “blaming” Robinson blah blah blah. I’m offering a legitimate contribution. They didn’t see eye to eye - Clare could be as much to blame as anybody for that.

I wonder if we were savvy enough to include a sell-on…
I was thinking the same. It should be a routine clause in all transfers these days to put a 10% clause in anyone we offload sideways or down, and 20% for players we sell to higher divisions as prospects.

And you're also correct in that, whatever your other opinions on the current manager, there are plenty of good players and good managers that don't end up being the right fit together in this sport.

What a downfall from Scunthorpe. Hope they arrest it soon.

I remember going to Scunny at the end of 2002/3. We needed to beat them to stay in the play offs. We didn't. They beat us. After the game, me shell-shocked, a pair of Scunny fans, father and son, ran up to me giving it w****r gestures, and general abuse related to staying in division 3. All the while I stared on impassively.

I hope those two are having a lovely time with the football right now.

I remember going to Scunny at the end of 2002/3. We needed to beat them to stay in the play offs. We didn't. They beat us. After the game, me shell-shocked, a pair of Scunny fans, father and son, ran up to me giving it w****r gestures, and general abuse related to staying in division 3. All the while I stared on impassively.

I hope those two are having a lovely time with the football right now.
Was at that game as well, one of a string of nightmare away trips over the years. Nobody called me a w****r though, so at least I had that going for me.

Back
Top Bottom