Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

Jerome Sinclaire, ex loanee, now owns a chicken shop in Birmingham re the Birmingham Mail 🤣🤣

I don't think that is "our" Ceri Evans as he is a sports psychologist (or psychiatrist).
I suspect you are right. I had a tenuous work connection with "our" Ceri Evans in NZ as I work in the health sector down here. Also, I was going to do a piece on him for Southern United a few years ago, but he was tied up working (I think) with the All Blacks prior to a rugby world cup and not doing media. Which meant I never got the chance to tell him I'd once encountered him in the Gloucester Arms after a match in the 80s (in which I think he had scored the winning goal).

The irony of the image in my original post is that it was from the credits for Casualty - Dr Ceri Evans! 👨‍⚕️

Jerome Sinclaire, ex loanee, now owns a chicken shop in Birmingham re the Birmingham Mail 🤣🤣
This guy was being touted to play for us this season. I watched him play a friendly away to AFC Wimble and he looked like he was a celebrity in a charity match.

Fair play, he'll have made more money than I'll ever make and he's mid 20's. If your rich and you lose the passion why bother?

Reading the written notes, it is quite shocking that the original notes said Maguire was betting against Lincoln City when he was betting for Lincoln. Puts a very different perspective on it.
Also that a presumably well known locally footballer for Lincoln with a Scottish accent would think he could get away with going into a city centre bookies and not be recognised.

Last edited:
Also that a presumably well known locally footballer for Lincoln with a Scottish accent would think he could get away with going into a city centre bookies and not be recognised.
I knew most footballers weren't the brightest of bulbs but this is a bit dense

I suspect you are right. I had a tenuous work connection with "our" Ceri Evans in NZ as I work in the health sector down here. Also, I was going to do a piece on him for Southern United a few years ago, but he was tied up working (I think) with the All Blacks prior to a rugby world cup and not doing media. Which meant I never got the chance to tell him I'd once encountered him in the Gloucester Arms after a match in the 80s (in which I think he had scored the winning goal).

The irony of the image in my original post is that it was from the credits for Casualty - Dr Ceri Evans! 👨‍⚕️
That is 100% the Ceri Evans who played for us. I met him a couple of times- nice bloke, and was completing his PhD while he played for Oxford. Said it was easy to combine the two, as he never trained more than two hours a day.

Reading the written notes, it is quite shocking that the original notes said Maguire was betting against Lincoln City when he was betting for Lincoln. Puts a very different perspective on it.
"one bet on 12th February being against his own club, Lincoln City (bet for them to
win)"

Strange phrasing, but I interpreted it as meaning he better in favour of Lincoln, rather than betting against them (which is obviously a lot worse). Nevertheless, stupid of him given the rules, and also a shame to see he was at it whilst playing for us also (no bets on Oxford related games at the time).

I'm not a gambler, so don't see any reason in him betting in person either? Surely easier and safer for him to do it via mobile app.

Canice Carroll on the bench for Oxford City tonight. What's the story there? Seemed to have a lot of promise at one point.

Canice Carroll on the bench for Oxford City tonight. What's the story there? Seemed to have a lot of promise at one point.
Also enjoys a very good time - fair enough, each to their own, but it takes its toll on a professional athlete.

Back
Top Bottom