Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

I find it odd and yet understandable why footballers do. Andy Burgess was the same, muddling the timeline of when people came and went in his time with us from Jan 2006 to Sept 2007.

As if we remember every project we did, when we did it and what day in the office that amusing thing happened. To them, it's a job and I don't blame them for not remembering every goal, game, opponent, team mate and even season and so on. We're football geeks on the subject, wasting our time keeping knowledge of obscure loanees from decades ago when useful stuff could be in our heads.

Absolutely.

The increased media and social media focus at the top level means that modern players probably remember more of their stats, how goals were scored and various bits of narrative related to their time at a club.

But for most it’s a job as you say. Also, players want and need to be living in the moment during games, rather than taking mental pictures to talk about in podcasts in thirty years’ time!

Absolutely.

The increased media and social media focus at the top level means that modern players probably remember more of their stats, how goals were scored and various bits of narrative related to their time at a club.

But for most it’s a job as you say. Also, players want and need to be living in the moment during games, rather than taking mental pictures to talk about in podcasts in thirty years’ time!

That's where fans and players differ so much. I always thought that if I was a professional footballer I'd spent far too much time on off-field matters - buttering up the fans between games, geeing them up during games. I'd also want to play for proper football clubs over new money rubbish - I'd be unnecessarily aware of the culture of football and clubs specifically.

I'd love to play abroad too. Always strikes me as odd that more players don't take the punt. Imagine being in your early 20's, no financial ties, opportunity to earn a good wage at what you do in multiple countries - why not go and play in Serie B for a year and live in Tuscany? Supping Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and eating fantastic food whilst bronzing yourself and enjoying the adoration of the small but wildly passionate band of ultras at whichever provincial club you've ended up with.

Oh yeah, instead it's like "nah, I'll take a 12 month contract at Crawley Town playing for Steve Evans whilst living under the Gatwick flight path". Philistines!

I'd love to play abroad too. Always strikes me as odd that more players don't take the punt. Imagine being in your early 20's, no financial ties, opportunity to earn a good wage at what you do in multiple countries - why not go and play in Serie B for a year and live in Tuscany? Supping Montepulciano d'Abruzzo and eating fantastic food whilst bronzing yourself and enjoying the adoration of the small but wildly passionate band of ultras at whichever provincial club you've ended up with.

Oh yeah, instead it's like "nah, I'll take a 12 month contract at Crawley Town playing for Steve Evans whilst living under the Gatwick flight path". Philistines!

According to this list HERE, there are more footballers from these isles earning a crust abroad then you may think.

None in Italy, mind. Bizarrely, Iceland seems to feature a lot. Perhaps eating fermented rotten shark washed down with beer mixed with vodka appeals more?

Matt Murphy is often the forgotten man of the 90's with so many headline acts around him, but he was one that was so good in a very typical Oxford way. He always gave everything, and seemed to just love playing football. A really nice guy on and off the pitch and a really underrated player. Some great goals, and as mentioned, few better than a late winner against Reading!

Very exciting move for Deano. Set to work with Adam Murray who is already there.

A credit to Dean’s start to coaching and integrity.

018fcfa5cbcc6eb816930332dc281be1.jpg

According to this list HERE, there are more footballers from these isles earning a crust abroad then you may think.

None in Italy, mind. Bizarrely, Iceland seems to feature a lot. Perhaps eating fermented rotten shark washed down with beer mixed with vodka appeals more?

Italy is the second country on the list you linked to.

Looks as though Harry Toffolo is off to Notts Forest which would pave the way for Ruffs to get more game time at Huddersfield.

Back
Top Bottom