Transfer News Eastwood wanted by Barnsley

If a player really wants to go then the club can only put a fair price on him and accept it when it’s met. Nothing to do with the player trading model really and everything to do with the fact that ‘footballers’ are human beings just like the rest of us, and I am sure we have all left employers for a few quid more to make a bit better life for ourselves. No point keeping a player who has decided he is off as it’s easy for them to force a move.

If Liverpool couldn’t keep Coutinho then why would we be different, it’s the modern game and we either adapt to it as a club or die.

For years we tried to fight against it by employing crap footballers that no one else wanted, that went well.

Sad but every player has their price. The kay to the model is that we sell our best players.

May limit our progression but thats the way it goes now.

Good luck to Eastwood.

Pep saying post-game that SE has had a scan on his shoulder. If it is indeed smoke and mirrors, the club is really committing to this injury lie!

Pep saying post-game that SE has had a scan on his shoulder. If it is indeed smoke and mirrors, the club is really committing to this injury lie!
Yes, I thought that sounded really genuine from Pep. Doesn't mean they aren't after Eastwood but good to know it's not another Callum-style bs game.

As much as I love him, if Eastwood wanted to go and we got good money for him and got Woodman as his replacement, I wouldn't stand in the fella's way. He's been so good for us I think we owe it to him that if he gets a big move and he wants to take it we shouldn't stand in his way, but the terms have to be right for us.

• React
Reactions: MJB
The fact of the matter is, if a club comes in for any of our players and meets or exceeds our asking price then that player will be sold. This is not just a modern football thing - this has always been the case. Players come and go. Its how they handle themselves during these periods of uncertainty.

Eastwood does not strike me as the kind of player who would "go on strike" or feign an injury to orchestrate a move. He has spent pretty much his entire career bench-warming as back-up. He came here (from then-Championship Blackburn) to be number 1 when he could have carried on being number 13 and earning a hell of a lot more cash just by being a Championship squad player. He wants to be number 1 and here at OUFC, he is guaranteed that. He's only had a season and a half in that position, why risk that now? Especially for a team that may well be playing in the same division in a few months time?

Last edited:
Further to that, Adam Davies who is currently Barnsley’s number 1 is their vice captain. I cant imagine he would be pushed aside to let Eastwood in. Well, here’s hoping anyway.

As much as I love him, if Eastwood wanted to go and we got good money for him and got Woodman as his replacement, I wouldn't stand in the fella's way. He's been so good for us I think we owe it to him that if he gets a big move and he wants to take it we shouldn't stand in his way, but the terms have to be right for us.

I think this is the crucial factor. We saw in 2015-16 how despite having one of the best teams in England outside the premiership (too far? nah) we only clinched promotion in the final half of the final game of the season because, despite the quality around them, we had two dodgy keepers for the whole season. I think if anything we underrate Eastwood. Since we don't NEED to sell (you wouldn't think - after the MJ money), I can't really see the logic in not holding out until the summer and having time to identify a proper replacement. Not that Woodman wouldn't be, but, as others have said, he seems to be held in high regard at Newcastle and there's no guarantee that he would come. Finding a suitable replacement first team keeper in January will be extremely difficult.

Eastwood has been critical to our league position this season (in a positive way), but why? - because those in front of him have not been good enough with the ball?.

IF, we strengthen the team in the right areas further up the field perhaps we wont need to rely on our keeper quite as much. Obviously id like him to stay but if it means overall we have a better team by selling him then we need to look at the situation in a sensible way.

Barnsley have a good keeper but don't have quality cover, so Eastwood would provide competition between two quality keepers. I can't imagine he would expect to walk into any Championship side and just be the uncontested Number 1. If he wants to play at a higher level and earn better money then that's the reality. If he does move he could well find himself back in League One next season looking at the table.

A conversation possibly being had now is 'You can go when we find a replacement. If we can't you stay'. That's not uncommon in the January window.

Clint has been back-up his entire career to date until he came to us. I doubt he would leave without some sort of assurance that he would be number one, wherever that is. Would be a massive step backwards for him to sit on the bench somewhere again IMO.

Er no bid has been made. Move on

Clubs don't reveal everything, i can factualy state that i know of a player of ours who had signed for another club during the summer and it was 8 weeks before the fans knew anything

Clint has been back-up his entire career to date until he came to us. I doubt he would leave without some sort of assurance that he would be number one, wherever that is. Would be a massive step backwards for him to sit on the bench somewhere again IMO.
I think he'd get over it if he was offered a lot more money.....

Never get this want assurances nonsense, whatever happened to working hard and earning the right to be selected

I think he'd get over it if he was offered a lot more money.....

Point is he could have got a lot more money when he left Blackburn by either staying at Rovers or providing back up at another Championship club. He didn't because he wanted to play and not sit on a bench keeping it warm.

Smart players, well-advised players, recognise that sometimes you go down to come back up. Eastwood knew he needed to actually play in order to form a career, and he needed to do it before he got too old. That's why he came to us. Now he has a reputation he may want to leverage that to further his career, again, considering his age.

No bid will be made until the/any player has indicated they want to go.

Back
Top Bottom