Transfer News Eastwood wanted by Barnsley

No bid will be made until the/any player has indicated they want to go.

That's not quite how it works in practice. A player's agent is told of a team's interest - the player will then indicate to the agent if he's open to the idea. The agent feeds back to the club, the club bids or doesn't. Btw all of that is illegal under tapping up rules, but that's how it happens.

It's rare that clubs bid on players who want to stay. The exceptions are if the player is getting off-loaded because the club wants them gone for whatever reason, or if the club is trying to turn the head of a player who has already turned them down (which is pretty rare).

The player's existing club knows that if a bid comes in, the player in question has probably expressed at least an interest in being sold.

That's not quite how it works in practice. A player's agent is told of a team's interest - the player will then indicate to the agent if he's open to the idea. The agent feeds back to the club, the club bids or doesn't. Btw all of that is illegal under tapping up rules, but that's how it happens.

It's rare that clubs bid on players who want to stay. The exceptions are if the player is getting off-loaded because the club wants them gone for whatever reason, or if the club is trying to turn the head of a player who has already turned them down (which is pretty rare).

The player's existing club knows that if a bid comes in, the player in question has probably expressed at least an interest in being sold.
Does the club have any obligation to tell the player of the approach? Or could the club simply play dumb and say "sorry not for sale"?

Does the club have any obligation to tell the player of the approach? Or could the club simply play dumb and say "sorry not for sale"?

They have no obligation to (unless there's a contract clause saying they have to). But it's seen as poor form not to. The decent thing to do is to tell the player, tell them what you intend to do, and if you're feeling nice, ask them what they want to do.

Not telling a player of interest from a higher league club is a very quick way to ruin a relationship with said player.

They have no obligation to (unless there's a contract clause saying they have to). But it's seen as poor form not to. The decent thing to do is to tell the player, tell them what you intend to do, and if you're feeling nice, ask them what they want to do.

Not telling a player of interest from a higher league club is a very quick way to ruin a relationship with said player.

thought you already said the player would know as his Agent would inform him?

thought you already said the player would know as his Agent would inform him?

They do. It's usually about the bid itself - the player will only know the club are considering a move, and will be asked if he's open to the idea. The key issue is the club telling the player what they intend to do regarding the bid. Remember as well that the agent stuff is illegal, so it is all a bit of a charade in the early parts ('I had no idea gaffer' etc.)

The actual bid may not happen, for a myriad of reasons. That meeting is a confirmation that the bid has been made and what it was, and if the club find it acceptable. If the club don't tell the player, he will find out through his agent. The conversation often goes like this (for Eastwood like transfers)

Club: we have had a bid of x from y for you. As much as we would like you to stay, this is a higher league club who can offer you more more money than we can and we appreciate that you would like to speak to them. However they are currently not matching our valuation of you. When they do we will inform you.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Highlights.... still would like to know what sort of price you think that the club should be looking for

If Eastwood does go I'd day it would be a max of £400k. Keepers don't attract big money. Not saying its right, but unfortunately it's true

If Eastwood does go I'd day it would be a max of £400k. Keepers don't attract big money. Not saying its right, but unfortunately it's true

While you're correct that keepers don't go for big money, there's absolutely no motivation for us to sell in January. In the summer I'd say we get 500k, if he continues to establish his reputation as a top keeper in League One. With a year left on his contract, probably not much you can do in terms of pushing for a big offer.

But to let our first choice keeper go halfway through the season, with no obvious backup ready to come in and perform to a similar standard? We've got to be asking at least £700k.

Otherwise tell the suitors to come back at the end of the season. That way we have time to judge internally if Stevens is ready for this level of first team football. If not, we can put some feelers out for a loanee to come in the summer, and ship Eastwood for that 400k.

On the money I'd say. £500k would be a very good bit of business. The key issue is his age - he'll be 29 in the summer, which is a keeper's prime, more or less. He won't get much better than he is now. If he was 25 it would be different, as you can argue that he could get significantly better.

While you're correct that keepers don't go for big money, there's absolutely no motivation for us to sell in January. In the summer I'd say we get 500k, if he continues to establish his reputation as a top keeper in League One. With a year left on his contract, probably not much you can do in terms of pushing for a big offer.

But to let our first choice keeper go halfway through the season, with no obvious backup ready to come in and perform to a similar standard? We've got to be asking at least £700k.

Otherwise tell the suitors to come back at the end of the season. That way we have time to judge internally if Stevens is ready for this level of first team football. If not, we can put some feelers out for a loanee to come in the summer, and ship Eastwood for that 400k.

Don’t think there’s any chance that Stevens will be considered number one, personally.

He might be highly rated and have bags of potential but I wouldn’t chuck someone in with virtually zero professional experience at the deep-end.

Especially for a position like goalkeeper where any inexperience, areas of weakness or mental fragility are going to be found out pretty damn quickly!

Don’t think there’s any chance that Stevens will be considered number one, personally.

He might be highly rated and have bags of potential but I wouldn’t chuck someone in with virtually zero professional experience at the deep-end.

Especially for a position like goalkeeper where any inexperience, areas of weakness or mental fragility are going to be found out pretty damn quickly!

Like I say, all the more reason to keep Eastwood in January (barring any excessive transfer value), and sell in the summer, when we can better replace him.

Just looked on there forum and apparently it's being reported 250k is being the bid lined up. That needs to be atleast doubled and would he move there when there current keeper has played every game this season and is 3 years younger?

Like Ledson, I think Eastwood wants this move. It's to a higher league and closer to his native North too.
The two are different.
Eastwood moved down here with wife and child. Wife doing a course at a uni and another little one on the way. Extended family may well be in the north but at least they have a bit of a base in the Oxford area.

Lego is a young bloke, first big move away from home. Most likely renting/in a house share. Lost Lunny and Conor McAleny. His closest pals at the club appear (from social media at least) to be Payne & Mowatt who are both loanees.
Personally, I think he loves it hear but the pull of family and friends with a move to Preston outweighs that.
Maybe we can keep him to end of season.

Barnsley look to be signing a keeper before Saturday. Hopefully it's not Eastwood but they seem confident it is him

Back
Top Bottom