Does the Oxford Mail WANT a new stadium?

Not to mention Diaz and his staff, who then tried to buy a ticket as paying customers and were refused entry after they left.
Kassam was friends with Ramon from his Monaco days as well. If that's how he treats his friends I wouldn't like to be his enemy.
I was friendly with Jean Marc Goiran, the guy who brought the Diaz entourage over, and I nearly rented a house to one of them, but wasn't sure I'd get the rent if I had to rely on Kassam to pay it!

They were fascinating people, friendly, and extremely well mannered. I was involved in the event you mention. We had bought tickets for them all to come into the game, and met them at the hotel before kick off, and went to enter the ground at about ten past three. But Ramon was such a gentleman that when the stewards said they were not allowed to let them in, he didn't want to cause a scene or any embarrassment for the club, or fans, and they didn't try to force the issue.

I stayed in touch with JMG for quite a while, and met up with him a few times. A fascinating character, unbelievably well connected, and another real gentleman. I could write a book about some of the inside information about multi million pound transfers, of world famous players, that JMG was involved with. If I was a betting man I could have probably made a killing on some of the markets, but I'm not, and it wouldn't have been the right thing to do in betraying his trust.

Maybe I should write a book? I've got a pretty unique relationship with OUFC stretching over seven decades, five divisions, and from the terraces to the Boardroom........

I was friendly with Jean Marc Goiran, the guy who brought the Diaz entourage over, and I nearly rented a house to one of them, but wasn't sure I'd get the rent if I had to rely on Kassam to pay it!

They were fascinating people, friendly, and extremely well mannered. I was involved in the event you mention. We had bought tickets for them all to come into the game, and met them at the hotel before kick off, and went to enter the ground at about ten past three. But Ramon was such a gentleman that when the stewards said they were not allowed to let them in, he didn't want to cause a scene or any embarrassment for the club, or fans, and they didn't try to force the issue.

I stayed in touch with JMG for quite a while, and met up with him a few times. A fascinating character, unbelievably well connected, and another real gentleman. I could write a book about some of the inside information about multi million pound transfers, of world famous players, that JMG was involved with. If I was a betting man I could have probably made a killing on some of the markets, but I'm not, and it wouldn't have been the right thing to do in betraying his trust.

Maybe I should write a book? I've got a pretty unique relationship with OUFC stretching over seven decades, five divisions, and from the terraces to the Boardroom........
I think you writing a book would be an excellent idea! Be an eye opener for some to hear about stories from behind the boardroom doors!

That last game where Ramon and co weren’t allowed into the ground, they were in the city centre out for drinks and food together and they were so polite and seemed happy to see and speak to fans.

That would be very intersting Colin. I am sure that quite a few of us would buy it.

I’d buy it!

‘From the terraces to the board room’ is a great title too.👍

And when did the pub session end?

Just my experience, I lived in Abingdon and played in the Witney & District Lg (for a few seasons, home games were in Chippy), Lord Jersey FA and the Oxford Sunday Lg (which obviously wasn't so bad). Most of the players I played with spent most of a Saturday involved.

I played in the Witney and district, and the Banbury Sunday morning league, I also played in the Evesham Sunday morning league for 2 or 3 seasons.

My claim to fame was that I once scored 5 goals in a 7-1 thrashing of Evesham Police, a few weeks later they beat us 2-1. Their team varied from week to week depending on who was off duty and available, I got lucky that week!

The Banbury Sunday morning league was good fun and quite a decent standard, there were a lot of players from Banbury United playing on a Sunday morning, you wouldn’t get that today. I remember playing against Phil Lines, he was avery good player.

Dermot Gallagher also reffed a few of our matches when he was just starting out.

More than once I saw players throwing up on a Sunday morning after a heavy night the night before. There was always a bit of a lunch time session too after Sunday morning game.

I played for Chippy when they were in the Hellenic and then when they had to go into the Witney and District due to finances. A cracking set up at the club and some of the best post match food I’ve had!
Sadly they got kicked out due to a dodgy investment guy and had to move to Enstone. They now no longer exist.

As teenagers in the mid/late 70s we would sometimes go and watch CN Town at Hailey Rd, bit of a slope and always windy!

I played in the Witney and district, and the Banbury Sunday morning league, I also played in the Evesham Sunday morning league for 2 or 3 seasons.

My claim to fame was that I once scored 5 goals in a 7-1 thrashing of Evesham Police, a few weeks later they beat us 2-1. Their team varied from week to week depending on who was off duty and available, I got lucky that week!

The Banbury Sunday morning league was good fun and quite a decent standard, there were a lot of players from Banbury United playing on a Sunday morning, you wouldn’t get that today. I remember playing against Phil Lines, he was avery good player.

Dermot Gallagher also reffed a few of our matches when he was just starting out.

More than once I saw players throwing up on a Sunday morning after a heavy night the night before. There was always a bit of a lunch time session too after Sunday morning game.
You forgot the obligatory half time fag

One of ours always threw up before a game whether hungover or not. He often had a pint after throwing up as well.

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering ... where is Rollo today? Hope he's well.
I lost touch with him quite a few years ago, so don't know, but he would be about 70 now.

He was a chef at St John's College at the time, and his family originated from Antigua, in the West Indies. He left St John's and worked as a chef on the merchant fleets, doing long haul trips, as it paid better. He said that a lot of the guys gambled their money away playing cards, to relieve the boredom, but he was quite sensible and saved up most of his wages from each trip. He eventually managed to buy back the property that his parents had had to sell, in Antigua, and moved back there to renovate it and bring it back to its former glory.

Quite an inspiring story I think of how immigration could actually work to the eventual benefit of all parties, which certainly wasn't always the case back then.

Has anyone ever written a book before without using the letters R, E and D?

I think many of us on here and elsewhere, would find your stories fascinating .
Why not start a new thread:
“The OUFC Chronicles “

Not to mention Diaz and his staff, who then tried to buy a ticket as paying customers and were refused entry after they left.
Kassam was friends with Ramon from his Monaco days as well. If that's how he treats his friends I wouldn't like to be his enemy.
I think more had mutual friends rather than were friends.

Back
Top Bottom