General Calling Any Oxford Supporting Musicians

kingoftheroad

We all recognise and agree our atmosphere is poor.
Im trying to find a guitarist or musician who could tune some words Ive thrown together.
Some thing along the lines of 'Anfield Road' the scousers sing, something unique to us, something we can take to Stratfield Brake with us.
Something simple that can be our anthem and moving.

Anyone out there?

Thanks Sarge, I will give it a try, wasn't sure what section to put it in, is there a better one on the forum?
Im expecting to get shot down with the idea, but from little acorns..........

Last edited:
Thanks Sarge, I will give it a try, wasn't sure what section to put it ins there a better one on the forum?
Im expecting to get shot down with the idea, but from little acorns..........
anything is better than what we currently have- go for it, and good luck @kingoftheroad

We all recognise and agree our atmosphere is poor.
Im trying to find a guitarist or musician who could tune some words Ive thrown together.
Some thing along the lines of 'Anfield Road' the scousers sing, something unique to us, something we can take to Stratfield Brake with us.
Something simple that can be our anthem and moving.

Anyone out there?

I do agree we need a new anthem that is current and everyone knows the lyrics too.

It is going to be hard to improve the atmosphere at the Kassam, not just the acoustics of the place or the speaker system that is stuck in 2001 but the mindset of the majority of the fanbase.

The east stand is more than capable at creating an atmosphere if all the ones willing to create an atmosphere were bunched together in the middle of the stand. But with allocated seating and current season ticket holders having reserved seats year on year I can't see that changing at the current ground.

The standing section at the new ground will help as you won't get the fans who want to sit down and be quiet for the majority of the game mixed in with the vocal ones. They will congregate down the other end behind the goal.

It was said at the fans forum, it can't all be about the new ground, we still have a couple of seasons here, it would hopefully be something we take with us, meaningful ,melodic that even us with poor voices could sing, old or young , Bristol Rovers Irene etc ,Boat song Coventry ,something that instantly shouts 'Oxford United" Something that will echo ,home and away.

Apparently the fields of Anfield Road is already to the tune of another song.

Fields of Athenry is quite well known.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240325-165256~2.png
    Screenshot_20240325-165256~2.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 2
More the merrier, we can make this work, there will be a few antis who will try and shoot it down but we can only try.
Being a witney boy I might know Witney Yellow?

The chances of this song needing my level of musicianship are very low, but if you feel like "This really needs a lousy harmonica, sloppy guitar or a sprited but dreadful duclimer" then give me a bell

I will say, as hinted at above, you're much better off taking a tune that is reasonably well known (hymns work well enough) than trying to find a new one

I've come to the conclusion after paying close attention this season most songs we sing are based on 2 or 3 old folk songs. Eg look up the Sloop John B (orig 1903ish - punk cover in link.)

The chances of this song needing my level of musicianship are very low, but if you feel like "This really needs a lousy harmonica, sloppy guitar or a sprited but dreadful duclimer" then give me a bell

I will say, as hinted at above, you're much better off taking a tune that is reasonably well known (hymns work well enough) than trying to find a new one
@Mojofilter I've started a private chat. If I can figure it out how to I'll add you. I think I can do that.

Tie Stephan Negru down, sport
Tie Stephan Negru down
Tie Stephan Negru down, sport
Tie Stephan Negru down
All together now!
🦘🦘🦘🦘🦘🦘

Back
Top Bottom