Does the Oxford Mail WANT a new stadium?

I think there are a lot more small sided games/competitions which are in the evenings etc rather than taking a big chunk of a day like local leagues required.

There was talk of 45 minute evening games leagues at one stage, with no limit rotational subs and something like 18 players in the squad . The idea being people could arrive later from work etc. Don't know if this has taken off anywhere though.
Don't people play five-a-side after work? People were trying to get that going where I work. Different working patterns, leisure activities , etc I guess.

Don't people play five-a-side after work? People were trying to get that going where I work. Different working patterns, leisure activities , etc I guess.

I actually found that more of a pain, games would kick off as late as 9.15pm which if you have to be up for work early the next day isn't brilliant.

OUSP piece in today's Oxford Mail and online, to counter some of the recent sensationalist headlines. Clicks and comments will move it up the lists online so that more people see it.

A really good article Janine - well done!

Sunday league kicked off at 10.30am so it didn't take all day, we were in the pub by 12.30.

And when did the pub session end?

Just my experience, I lived in Abingdon and played in the Witney & District Lg (for a few seasons, home games were in Chippy), Lord Jersey FA and the Oxford Sunday Lg (which obviously wasn't so bad). Most of the players I played with spent most of a Saturday involved.

Just my experience, I lived in Abingdon and played in the Witney & District Lg (for a few seasons, home games were in Chippy), Lord Jersey FA and the Oxford Sunday Lg (which obviously wasn't so bad). Most of the players I played with spent most of a Saturday involved.
I played for Chippy when they were in the Hellenic and then when they had to go into the Witney and District due to finances. A cracking set up at the club and some of the best post match food I’ve had!
Sadly they got kicked out due to a dodgy investment guy and had to move to Enstone. They now no longer exist.

OUSP piece in today's Oxford Mail and online, to counter some of the recent sensationalist headlines. Clicks and comments will move it up the lists online so that more people see it.

Well done
A good story putting things into perspective

I broke my self imposed exile to click, it won't happen often

I played in the Bournemouth Sunday league 9 divisions and I a couple of other leagues as well Saturday league wasn’t much different. His knows where our home games were we played all over Bournemouth and surrounding areas. A bit of a free for all. Although playing for the Gander in the green pub and we played and won a cup final at Bournemouth FC’s ground, we were promoted two divisions that season and the team we beat who were in joint points at the top front promoted 3 divisions couldn’t work it out.

I played in the Bournemouth Sunday league 9 divisions and I a couple of other leagues as well Saturday league wasn’t much different. His knows where our home games were we played all over Bournemouth and surrounding areas. A bit of a free for all. Although playing for the Gander in the green pub and we played and won a cup final at Bournemouth FC’s ground, we were promoted two divisions that season and the team we beat who were in joint points at the top front promoted 3 divisions couldn’t work it out.
Gander on the Green, bloody hell that takes me back Bazzer!

That was the big pub on the Holdenhurst Road, if I'm remembering correctly? Back in the early 1970s we used to get in my mate's little red Mini on a Friday after work and just head to Bournemouth for the weekend, nothing booked, but we usually found a B&B, unless we had our black mate Rollo with us, in which case all of the B&Bs would say they had no vacancies (these were different times kids)! I'm not sure teenagers today do that kind of impromptu thing anymore?

There were some great clubs in Bournemouth back then, Chelsea Village and Le Cardinale spring to mind. Bloody hell that was over 50 years ago, and makes me feel old.

That was the big pub on the Holdenhurst Road, if I'm remembering correctly? Back in the early 1970s we used to get in my mate's little red Mini on a Friday after work and just head to Bournemouth for the weekend, nothing booked, but we usually found a B&B, unless we had our black mate Rollo with us, in which case all of the B&Bs would say they had no vacancies (these were different times kids)! I'm not sure teenagers today do that kind of impromptu thing anymore?

There were some great clubs in Bournemouth back then, Chelsea Village and Le Cardinale spring to mind. Bloody hell that was over 50 years ago, and makes me feel old.
Plus the Maison Royale I think.
I seem to remember that the Village and Cardinale were next door to each other.

Sunday league kicked off at 10.30am so it didn't take all day, we were in the pub by 12.30.

My memory of Sunday League football was that they frequently "kicked off" every ten minutes or so!!

They were more akin to medieval battles than the glorious game, with the referee nowhere to be seen! I once bought a pair of white Predators when 99% of boots were still black. I played the Saturday afternoon and regularly had opposition players remarking how good they looked and asking where I'd got them. Played the next morning and this "white boot w****r" got kicked to f**k, even got tackled by my own team at one point!

And to think that there are other threads that talk about how easy our generation had it! Sunday league football was our war and everyone has the battle scars from those times!!!

Plus the Maison Royale I think.
I seem to remember that the Village and Cardinale were next door to each other.
Yes, they were next door to each other. Always seemed to be a lot of people from Oxford whenever we went to Bournemouth, and it wasn't exactly on the doorstep then either.

Poet's corner, The Top Deck aswell..
Top Deck. Was that the open top bar on the seafront, near the pier? Can't remember Poet's Corner, but considering the state we used to get in back then, it's a bloody miracle I can remember anything!

What was the name of the bar in the Royal Bath Hotel, just up the hill from the pier? It had a kind of pirate theme with netting on the ceiling and barrels dotted about. We used to often head there first, and it was always rammed.

Yes, they were next door to each other. Always seemed to be a lot of people from Oxford whenever we went to Bournemouth, and it wasn't exactly on the doorstep then either.
Bournemouth in the late 70s/ early 80s was during the summer months , and on Bank holidays, a sort of Oxford on sea

Top Deck. Was that the open top bar on the seafront, near the pier? Can't remember Poet's Corner, but considering the state we used to get in back then, it's a bloody miracle I can remember anything!

What was the name of the bar in the Royal Bath Hotel, just up the hill from the pier? It had a kind of pirate theme with netting on the ceiling and barrels dotted about. We used to often head there first, and it was always rammed.

Yes I know the one your on about, I'm the same as you . Used to be in some right states, to be honest I didn't really like Bournemouth, it never ended up going well, on a few occasions....

Bournemouth in the late 70s/ early 80s was during the summer months , and on Bank holidays, a sort of Oxford on sea
Yes , every other person you'd bump into would be from Oxford. The coach companies,used to do mystery tours then & I ended up there.once...😊

He banned Radio Oxford at one time, till the EFL put him right
Not to mention Diaz and his staff, who then tried to buy a ticket as paying customers and were refused entry after they left.
Kassam was friends with Ramon from his Monaco days as well. If that's how he treats his friends I wouldn't like to be his enemy.

Well it was 40 for me @Colin B not surprised about the attitude if you have your mate Rollo with you very conservative down that neck of the woods especially Christchurch. I don’t remeber to many of the clubs back in the early 80’s I think there was a scamps in Boscbe wouldn’t go in the night club below the Gander on the green although the show bar at the pier was built when I lived there and that was pretty decent for a boogie with Mrs Bazzer pub proved beer and free to get in.

Back
Top Bottom