General Development of our own players

Didcotox

I think most of us are disappointed with the transfer window, but could it be a blessing in disguise?

We will now be forced to use our youngsters and that should see them develop. I would much rather we develop our own players than have a player for a season or half a season from higher up in the pyramid and develop them for someone else.

I know there are exceptions, and a really good loan from a Premiership club can add real strength at this level, but an awful lot of the time loanees flatter to deceive.

Disappointed yes, but optimistic we will see some of our youngsters really pushing on.

Last edited:
I was certainly impressed with the youngsters who played in the Crystal Palace game. I would always promote home grown talent where possible, it must mean so much more for the player, particularly if they’ve followed the team as a kid. Also playing for the first club to give them a chance must give them a certain loyalty.

I was certainly impressed with the youngsters who played in the Crystal Palace game. I would always promote home grown talent where possible, it must mean so much more for the player, particularly if they’ve followed the team as a kid. Also playing for the first club to give them a chance must give them a certain loyalty.
COD…..no loyalty in football these days

This will hopefully be the silver lining of the failed window. Goodrham has looked a real bright spark this season, O'Donkor came on and did brilliantly against Cheltenham and did pretty well against Palace, Johnson was really excellent against Palace, Golding looks close to L1 standard already from what we've seen, and Spasov has done ok in his cameos which I'll be honest I didn't expect. I think all 5 will have a part to play this season, over the PJT, FA Cup and coming on (or even starting) for a bit of extra energy in the League.

I REALLY hope we keep these boys in and around the first team and don't ship them out on loan to non-league, because so far they've done so much right that they deserve their shot over some of our supposed big signings.

Last edited:
This will hopefully be the silver lining of the failed window. Goodrham has looked a real bright spark this season, O'Donkor came on and did brilliantly against Lincoln and did pretty well against Palace, Johnson was really excellent against Palace, Golding looks close to L1 standard already from what we've seen, and Spasov has done ok in his cameos which I'll be honest I didn't expect. I think all 5 will have a part to play this season, over the PJT, FA Cup and coming on (or even starting) for a bit of extra energy in the League.

I REALLY hope we keep these boys in and around the first team and don't ship them out on loan to non-league, because so far they've done so much right that they deserve their shot over some of our supposed big signings.
Spot on. This could be the silver lining.

Completely agree. Giving a player 20mins to reverse an EFL Trophy fixture is not enough to justify shipping out/off.

This will hopefully be the silver lining of the failed window. Goodrham has looked a real bright spark this season, O'Donkor came on and did brilliantly against Lincoln and did pretty well against Palace, Johnson was really excellent against Palace, Golding looks close to L1 standard already from what we've seen, and Spasov has done ok in his cameos which I'll be honest I didn't expect. I think all 5 will have a part to play this season, over the PJT, FA Cup and coming on (or even starting) for a bit of extra energy in the League.

100% agree ^^

Well said, these boys could save our bacon, blood them in to the first team, of course they will make errors, but they have the ability to establish themselves around the match day squad. Well done Josh.

If a club spends money on an Academy then the least we expect is that the young players believe that they will have a realistic chance to be In contention for the first team. Seeing players being brought in on loan younger than you, must be demotivating.

Back
Top Bottom