Ex Player Dan Agyei

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this rumour has any truth is it not a further indictment of the appalling man management practiced by Robinson? This is a player left in tears on the pitch and so grateful to be away from OUFC that he went to Crewe. He could, and maybe should, have been the striker we have missed for most of this season.
Thank you Mr Robinson, thank you very much.

If this rumour has any truth is it not a further indictment of the appalling man management practiced by Robinson? This is a player left in tears on the pitch and so grateful to be away from OUFC that he went to Crewe. He could, and maybe should, have been the striker we have missed for most of this season.
Thank you Mr Robinson, thank you very much.
I suppose if Manning has always rated him then there could be truth in it? Mousinho a fan too unless someone is just jumping on to the obvious Oxford connection.

Sounds like they are desperately trying to cling onto him - this appearing on their official site outside of any rumors surfacing on Twitter about possible transfer targets. He's had a good season but I take it all with a pinch of salt that he could replicate this standard in League 1. We didn't give him much of a shot at this level and I can't fault his efforts when he did play but I just don't think he's good enough especially for teams in the top half challenging for promotion. I think the FLW article has cherry picked random teams after news came out that he could be moving on this summer.

I’m not privy to any insider info. But just based on my own intuition and responses to how Dan spoke and the kind of language he used when interviewed you could tell that (during his time with us) he was very much a confidence player, who played as much on instinct and his natural physical gifts as he did with mental acumen or a great ability to read the game.

Maybe I’m way off on that. I don’t know enough to fathom whether my assessment is accurate or not. But that was always how I interpreted his mannerisms, language and performance. And by the end of his time with us - for whatever reason - it just wasn’t working. He wasn’t contributing and his performances were not of L1 standard (particularly at the level we were playing last year). Whether you blame KR for that or not is totally your call - but I do believe that, with Karl set to remain in charge, a change was best for Dan. He needed regular football and to rebuild his confidence - he was getting none of that with us.

And I’ve not seen enough of him at Crewe (other than occasional highlights clips) to know if he’s any different now. I do know that he has genuine natural gifts (pace, power, leaping ability, an incredible striking ability with his left foot) meaning that if he can put all the tools together and put consistent performances together he has a higher ceiling than L2.

Good for him if Crewe have given him the environment to flourish/live up to his potential. Anyone that scores an Oxford winner at the Scum is golden in my eyes…

Undoubtedly a talent, if a bit enigmatic. Robinson built everything around Taylor and that blocked Agyei's route into the team, I don't think anyone would suggest Agyei is currently the number 9 answer for any of those teams listed but is he an upgrade on those we currently have vying for a role up front - Joseph, Smith, O'Donkor, Baldock ? He might well be.

I saw Pompey on the tweet and immediately thought "mousinho was watching".

Let me put it this way, Dick, since Baldock won't be on the grass again I'd far sooner see Agyei and O'Donkor alone or as a partnership than the others be involved, and Agyei starting (not on the wing, mind).

I didn't ever think he was L1 standard. He appeared to have very little game 'sense', and was rarely aware of players around him. He's pretty quick though, which is why he's doing well in L2. The story may well be planted by his agent to generate interest. I'd be surprised if he ended up at one of the better L1 clubs tbh.

I am really pleased for him, but would be surprised if he ever became more than an average L1 player.
Interestingly Crewe are using him as a bit of a utility forward.
So in 20 games as a CF he has scored 6 goals ( very average) and in 14 games as a wide man ( wide midfield/ winger) he scored 6.
He played 1 as a second striker.

Undoubtedly a talent, if a bit enigmatic. Robinson built everything around Taylor and that blocked Agyei's route into the team, I don't think anyone would suggest Agyei is currently the number 9 answer for any of those teams listed but is he an upgrade on those we currently have vying for a role up front - Joseph, Smith, O'Donkor, Baldock ? He might well be.
The problem was that he was always playing third fiddle, never second, behind players like Mackie and Winnall who either couldn’t run or couldn’t play more than three games without getting injured. He was never good enough to be our starting 9, but he was absolutely worthy of not being shunted onto the wing and bollocked into oblivion in public, while Mackie and Winnall strutted around up front over him and contributed almost nothing. And yet he still contributed more than either of them in real terms, in less minutes while being played out of position and with zero confidence.

Some of the stuff that went on behind closed doors was absolutely disgusting, and his own team mates stood up for him on more than one occasion when it went way too far. Couldn’t care less where he goes in the future, but I’m glad that he’s managed to save his career by having a decent season elsewhere, because most people who went through what he did would struggle to put on their boots without bursting into tears.

A confident and properly supported Dan Agyei would be walking into our team right now, but I hope that we are able to survive this season and then be looking at players in a higher bracket than him moving forward.

The problem was that he was always playing third fiddle, never second, behind players like Mackie and Winnall who either couldn’t run or couldn’t play more than three games without getting injured. He was never good enough to be our starting 9, but he was absolutely worthy of not being shunted onto the wing and bollocked into oblivion in public, while Mackie and Winnall strutted around up front over him and contributed almost nothing. And yet he still contributed more than either of them in real terms, in less minutes while being played out of position and with zero confidence.

Some of the stuff that went on behind closed doors was absolutely disgusting, and his own team mates stood up for him on more than one occasion when it went way too far. Couldn’t care less where he goes in the future, but I’m glad that he’s managed to save his career by having a decent season elsewhere, because most people who went through what he did would struggle to put on their boots without bursting into tears.

A confident and properly supported Dan Agyei would be walking into our team right now, but I hope that we are able to survive this season and then be looking at players in a higher bracket than him moving forward.
Indeed.

Not that he was ever going to be with us this year, but I’d suggest that if he were still with us this season as our reserve striker, we wouldn’t be in a relegation scrap right now.

We should be aiming for better next season given our wealth and ambitions (assuming we’re still in L1), but I feel he’d have got us more goals and points than our other reserve strikers this season.

True but that is more of an indictment against the current forwards than a confirmation that Agyei is the type of player we are going to need if we are serious about getting promotion next season (if still in League One)

Eh, I didn't think he was very good but he might have been better if more caringly nurtured, who knows. He doesn't seem to be absolutely tearing it up at Crewe.

I suspect Karl being back on the market puts the fear of God in to all our old players who hated him - where might he end up next? At least when he was here, they could be sure he wouldn't end up at their club. Clearly things went on with Agyei and many others. If I was them I'd be asking for a KR-clause that makes them available for £1 in the event Karl Robinson is appointed manager.

I'm not privy to all the gory details but as I've said before there's an awful lot of smoke for there to have been no fire and I've seen/heard enough in the past 12 months to know that KR was not nice people. God only knows how this was allowed to go on for so long, even worse for someone of TW's experience to fall for the act himself.

I never rated Dan particularly highly but was always a brilliant athlete which is pretty damn useful. If he's now added to his game and got some confidence he would be well worthy of another chance in L1. Good luck to the lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom