General Winnall v Agyei

Who would you rather see playing for Oxford?

• Total voters
Dan Agyei must be given the chance at Burton, should have been on at Cambridge to open up a good looking defence

Winnall arrived with KR saying “you don’t get much bigger a signing in this division” which has probably put him in a bit of a corner if he doesn’t even make the subs bench, but to be fair winnall has played at a higher level and been successful so why things have not quite worked out as yet god knows . It’s early days and who knows he could surprise us all and go on to be our highest goal scorer , probably not though

I’d like both to do well here, but I do believe that particularly on Saturday it was the right time in the game to bring Dan Agyei on rather than Winnall. I just find the whole pre match arrangement a bit baffling!

I tend to agree with the premise that Agyei is the one you bring on if you need someone to change the game; Winnall is Matty Taylor-lite, who you bring on if you want more of the same......

.......which then rather implies that KR did the right thing on Saturday? I mean we were well on top when he made that substitution. I can't remember the exact timing, but it was around the time that Winnall came on that we created those two gilt-edged chances that we should have taken to seal the win.

Honestly if there's a criticism to be had on Saturday, it's probably more whether Matty should have come off at all (he clearly didn't think he should!) - but he is such an important player for us, that I can see the argument for wrapping him in cotton wool, even on opening day.

Looking at the poll did KR log in and be the only one that voted for Winnall? :)

I agree with all that post on here that Agyei represents a different option whereas Winnall is really a not as good version of Matty.

I think some of this though comes from KRs very fixed mindset. We seem to rarely in games completely change formation, often changes are like for like or a different type of player in a similar formation. Tactical limitations are just the way KR is and he won't change. Fortunately we have a good players and when he settles on a good team the way we play works more often than it doesn't. Its rather annoying though that when it doesn't work we squander good points.

Hopefully we can take the many pluses form the opening game and build on them rather collapse into another poor start. In the next few games we will see.

I was saying on Saturday that it was the type of game that Dan needed to come on and give their defenders the run around

Dan Agyei must be given the chance at Burton, should have been on at Cambridge to open up a good looking defence

Can Agyei only do it against good looking defences? We really need someone who can do it against big ugly bastards as well.

Winnall and Agyie are 2 completely different players for a start.
In a game that you need a player throw his weight around, hold the ball up and win flick ons then you bring Winnall on. Agyie is pace and power.
I would also put Bodin above Agyie.

Winnall and Agyie are 2 completely different players for a start.
In a game that you need a player throw his weight around, hold the ball up and win flick ons then you bring Winnall on. Agyie is pace and power.
I would also put Bodin above Agyie.
Got to question your descriptions of both players, sorry. Agyei has the strength to hold up play, with the ball and either, lose his man and carry on or, lay off the ball to any advancing team mate. Winnall is more of a static player best suited to being on the receiving end of a pass where he can turn and shoot or head for goal. What he doesn't have (or at least has not demonstrated) is the ability to throw his weight around. He's tried that and loses out.
I'm not going to say that one is better than the other, they have different attributes and suit different game plans, and opposition tactics. On Saturday, against Cambridge, Winnall was the wrong choice.

Got to question your descriptions of both players, sorry. Agyei has the strength to hold up play, with the ball and either, lose his man and carry on or, lay off the ball to any advancing team mate. Winnall is more of a static player best suited to being on the receiving end of a pass where he can turn and shoot or head for goal. What he doesn't have (or at least has not demonstrated) is the ability to throw his weight around. He's tried that and loses out.
I'm not going to say that one is better than the other, they have different attributes and suit different game plans, and opposition tactics. On Saturday, against Cambridge, Winnall was the wrong choice.

The chance that lead to Whyte shooting rather than lay the ball off for two to tap in. A clearance is pumped forward and Winnall is 8/9 yards off the centre back before running on to it and out-muscle Jones (?) to lay the ball off to Whyte and effectively gave us a 3 on 1 situation. So there is at least one example of Winnall throwing his weight about, and one that should have put the game to bed.

In my opinion both are not being helped by not playing week in week out, whether by design (Agyei) or by injury (Winnall). Winnall gets injured, comes back, is awful for two or three games, then does something good, then plays well for two or three games and then is injured, starting all over again. Agyei does (much more often, I agree) something really good but is often left out for no apparent reason or asked to play somewhere that's not his game. He comes on as sub and makes a case for himself then plays from the start and is then ineffective and ends up on the bench again.

The chance that lead to Whyte shooting rather than lay the ball off for two to tap in. A clearance is pumped forward and Winnall is 8/9 yards off the centre back before running on to it and out-muscle Jones (?) to lay the ball off to Whyte and effectively gave us a 3 on 1 situation. So there is at least one example of Winnall throwing his weight about, and one that should have put the game to bed.
You really weren't there, were you. he went to trap the ball and fell over, then, getting lucky, the ball went in the direction of Whyte who collected and, sadly, mistimed his cross and the ball swept past the far post.
If you are really attempting to show that one incident as an example of Winnall being something special, forget it.
Proof of the pudding: About 1:15 in.

You really weren't there, were you. he went to trap the ball and fell over, then, getting lucky, the ball went in the direction of Whyte who collected and, sadly, mistimed his cross and the ball swept past the far post.
If you are really attempting to show that one incident as an example of Winnall being something special, forget it.
Funny how events can be interpreted to suit an agenda; Winnall clearly holds off the defender and deliberately lays it off to Whyte, as he is falling. Good hold up play by a centre forward , surely that is blatantly obvious, rather than him ‘getting lucky!’

That's a ridiculously harsh comment. Sam leans into the player, getting his body between the defender and the ball, and as he falls he plays the ball off to Whyte to run on to. It wasn't lucky, or if it was, he deserved his luck.

I'm not saying that it makes him something special, but it does show that he has the strength and ability to do the thing that you've said he can't do.

The fact that one player is described as "lucky" whilst Whyte "sadly mistimed his cross" is nothing but blinkered hypocrisy.

Funny how events can be interpreted to suit an agenda; Winnall clearly holds off the defender and deliberately lays it off to Whyte, as he is falling. Good hold up play by a centre forward , surely that is blatantly obvious, rather than him ‘getting lucky!’
Absolutely spot on..

Winnall battles against the defender and despite being off balance manages to lay it off nicely. I'm amazed anyone can see that differently!

Right back to the original argument! I'm pleased we have Taylor, Agyei and Winnall but I would like to see more game time for Agyei.

Back
Top Bottom