General Winnall v Agyei

Who would you rather see playing for Oxford?

• Total voters
Funny how events can be interpreted to suit an agenda; Winnall clearly holds off the defender and deliberately lays it off to Whyte, as he is falling. Good hold up play by a centre forward , surely that is blatantly obvious, rather than him ‘getting lucky!’

Completely agree. It's good play from Winnall. Players are coached to pressure the first touch and you can see he waits for the defender to make a poor contact then gets his a**e in the door.

Funny how events can be interpreted to suit an agenda; Winnall clearly holds off the defender and deliberately lays it off to Whyte, as he is falling. Good hold up play by a centre forward , surely that is blatantly obvious, rather than him ‘getting lucky!’
I was at the game and this is spot on. As for Whyte he just got caught in two minds, as to cross or shoot and then didn’t really do either.

My vote is for Dan Agyei, as others have pointed out he offers a different approach from Taylor and he certainly offers more pace.

Winnall and Agyie are 2 completely different players for a start.
In a game that you need a player throw his weight around, hold the ball up and win flick ons then you bring Winnall on. Agyie is pace and power.
I would also put Bodin above Agyie.
I seem to remember people being surprised that when Agyei did play as a centre-forward, his hold-up play and battling with defenders was much better than expected. Whilst he does have pace and explosive power, he has way more than that in his locker.

I seem to remember people being surprised that when Agyei did play as a centre-forward, his hold-up play and battling with defenders was much better than expected. Whilst he does have pace and explosive power, he has way more than that in his locker.

You're right, Agyei has a lot more to his game. The issue (if there is one) is about his composure and the ability to be more than just an impact player. Very similar to Sykes, the raw ability is top level, but it's the end product that is sometimes lacking.

Similar arguments can be made for Winnall. He's not "lucky", he battles hard and offers strength up front as can be seen (by most) with him setting Whyte up on Saturday. He has good feet (goal against Gillingham) and good vision (v Burton) but his injuries and lack of match fitness has meant that these examples are few and far between. He is very similar to Taylor, but not sure that is something to worry about! In fact playing exactly the same way, I would have expected Winnall to make more of the headed chances Taylor had in the first half which would have made things comfortable.

We have two players who can be exceptional at this level. I actually think that Agyei looks better coming from a wider position than straight through the middle, but his impact in the last third of last season was incredible - and we need to find ways to bring that out more. Equally, a fully fit Winnall compliments Taylor perfectly and there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't share 30 goals between them this season.

I know it's boring and it's much easier to have superheroes and villains, but I'll happily support both and hope that they can both deliver to their full potential because if they do then we're virtually unplayable.

Winnall did one good thing on Saturday (the layoff to Whyte) and also messed up quite a few times, gave the ball away, had it bounce off him, didn’t get anywhere near to the play at times, generally looked slow. For that, he’s getting praised by some on here.

I’ve seen Agyei in games come on, win a couple of free kicks in dangeous, shooting areas, get a defender booked for bringing him down, win a corner or two singlehandedly and fizz a few low balls into the box that somehow no-one could get on the end of. Yet on here we talk about his goals to minutes ratio and is he good enough to start, and ask yeah but does Sam Winnall offer something different?!

If Sam Winnall had done the latter performance, the likes of ScotchEgg would be calling him the second coming. If Dan had done what Sam Winnall did on Saturday Karl Robinson would be saying he needs to sort his first touch out and get more involved. Levels.

It’s almost like a Premier League club signed, coached and brought him through to the first team as a centre forward, before loaning him out to several League One clubs who played him in that same role across dozens of games, long before we paid a six figure fee for him after Sean Dyche - a man who gave him several top flight appearances - tried to extend his contract.

Almost. We obviously know something that no other coach or manager who worked with him previously does. If those people thought that him picking the ball up in the middle of the pitch, turning with pace and power and tearing through the middle of teams was exciting, just wait until they see him with chalk on his boots, running towards his own corner flag to track an opposition full back. It’s fuckin’ majestic.

Let’s the Chuck this out there
I personally think a confident and played through the middle Dan agyei scores more goals in a league season than Matty Taylor
Ducks for cover

I personally think a confident and played through the middle Dan agyei scores more goals in a league season than Matty Taylor
Ducks for cover
I disagree, I don’t think he scores more goals - Taylor is a poacher. Quite often doesn’t do much else in a game though, like on Saturday… whereas I would say that Agyei would get more assists and create more chances over a season. Don’t think he’d be hitting over 20 goals though, personally. I’m perfectly happy with Taylor but I would like to see Dan rotate with him/come on for him/No more Sam Winnall

Said it for 2 seasons his link up play with Henry,Sykes,Long has been excellent down the right but the real Mccoy was how he and Matty Taylor worked so well together and both appeared to know what the other was going to do and that was in just a few brief minutes. That really could be a lethal partnership.

Got to question your descriptions of both players, sorry. Agyei has the strength to hold up play, with the ball and either, lose his man and carry on or, lay off the ball to any advancing team mate. Winnall is more of a static player best suited to being on the receiving end of a pass where he can turn and shoot or head for goal. What he doesn't have (or at least has not demonstrated) is the ability to throw his weight around. He's tried that and loses out.
I'm not going to say that one is better than the other, they have different attributes and suit different game plans, and opposition tactics. On Saturday, against Cambridge, Winnall was the wrong choice.
I didn't go on Saturday but the OM seemed to think that he did well to make chance for Whyte, who should have put us 2 up.

Ducks for cover
Wow.
I would be amazed if Agyei scored anywhere near as many as Taylor. As a goalscorer Taylor (in my view) is in a totally different class to Agyei.
I am waiting for the Agyei should be in the England squad comment next!

Wow.
I would be amazed if Agyei scored anywhere near as many as Taylor. As a goalscorer Taylor (in my view) is in a totally different class to Agyei.
I am waiting for the Agyei should be in the England squad comment next!
I thought he was already in the England squad 😝

Back
Top Bottom