Current Squad 18/19

Who is Ward? I think I'm getting behind here!

I think we need two proper strikers in. Not one and a 'reserve'. And a winger and a DM who are more than capable of holding down a place in the starting line up. So while (injuries and suspensions notwithstanding) we could probably just about get away with that, it seems pretty bare bones to me. It is always spouted by managers and players that there needs to be competition for places in the team and that seems right. We are now down to less than two weeks until the season kicks off, with the transfer window 'slamming shut' five day later. While I don't doubt that KR is as frustrated about it as the rest of us, I hope he has learned that getting a bit over-excited and raising expectations too early is a bit counter-productive.

Still I guess a week is a long time in football (Monsieur Cliche) so two weeks is an eternity. It's a pity any new players won't have gone through pre-season with us, but - whatever managers might want - that always happens.
KR will play one upfront. So one quality striker with Obika and ANO as back up will work in my view.
If we get a winger in then behind the one striker we will have ANO, Whyte, Mackie, Carruthers, Henry, Hall, Napa, Baptiste filling what 3 places?
Then CM , ANO, Branaghan, Ruffles, Carruthers for two places.
Not sure at this level that is light?

I believe 1 or more of those you named are in the U23 squad

Baptiste maybe, but with the pre season he's had, he could be around the first squad fringes this year.

First teamers that don't make the matchday squad will drop down to play U23 games anyway, so there is a blurred line.

Bradders list is essentially the first team squad.

It's easy to forget or dismiss the size of our current squad, let alone the potential addition of four more players. I'd really expect a player or two to depart yet to balance it. We want a 22 man squad, all of which are pushing.

Eastwood, Stevens, Shearer, Norman, McMahon, Dickie, Raglan, Nelson, Mous, Garbett, Whyte, Brannagan, Carruthers, Hall, Henry, Obika, Napa, Baptiste, Carroll, Ruffels, Long and Mackie.

We still want 3-4 more according to Derry and Robinson.
I’d loan out one of the keepers and Long

It's easy to forget or dismiss the size of our current squad, let alone the potential addition of four more players. I'd really expect a player or two to depart yet to balance it. We want a 22 man squad, all of which are pushing.

Eastwood, Stevens, Shearer, Norman, McMahon, Dickie, Raglan, Nelson, Mous, Garbett, Whyte, Brannagan, Carruthers, Hall, Henry, Obika, Napa, Baptiste, Carroll, Ruffels, Long and Mackie.

We still want 3-4 more according to Derry and Robinson.

Long, Baptiste, Norman and Stevens will be U 23 squad wouldn't they.

This is the danger most seasons, where youth are included in the numbers of the first team squad, when what we need in the genuine 22/23 are players who will fit into a first 11 no questions asked, not players whose experience is way down the non league pyramid. Even Long should be with Allen in the U 23's.

This is the danger most seasons, where youth are included in the numbers of the first team squad, when what we need in the genuine 22/23 are players who will fit into a first 11 no questions asked, not players whose experience is way down the non league pyramid. Even Long should be with Allen in the U 23's.

if you expect a league 1 club the size of ours to have 21/22 first team ready then you really are living in a different world.

Clubs like ourselves rely on some of the younger lads to bolster the squad numbers up. Players like Carroll, Long, Napa, Baptiste, Noel-Williams and even this young lad Lopez seem good enough to fill the bench of our first team.

Whether you like it or not our squad is starting to look very competitive for the new season. It has gone back to the model when MApp was here where we had quality over quantity.

No, Cameron Norman has been signed to be part of the 1st team squad. Likewise Long will be part of the 1st team squad otherwise why re-sign him in the summer. Baptiste may well force his way into the 1st team squad as may Jack Stevens but they will move between the 1st team and u23s imo.

We as a club can't afford 22/23 good, experienced players and KR has demonstrated throughout his management career that he uses young players in his side with the most obvious being Dele Alli.

There will naturally be players who are on the cusp between the first team and the u23s, as there will be between the U23s and the U18s. Quite normal and reasonable to have a few who fall into these cross-over areas. Absolutely no need to get obsessed with who is is a first team player and who isn’t. Squads and players evolve throughout the season.

Back to quality over quantity this season with the younger players backing up, as it should be.

Still two weeks to go till the start of the season, still the tedious trolling persists, and still other posters bite.

3 or 4 more will come in - we will have a very competitive squad with a switched on management team. Hope the new lads have some pace- we lack a bit here.

I am looking forward to the season. There seems to be a plan. In hindsight it was plain chaotic last year.

No, Cameron Norman has been signed to be part of the 1st team squad. Likewise Long will be part of the 1st team squad otherwise why re-sign him in the summer. Baptiste may well force his way into the 1st team squad as may Jack Stevens but they will move between the 1st team and u23s imo.

We as a club can't afford 22/23 good, experienced players and KR has demonstrated throughout his management career that he uses young players in his side with the most obvious being Dele Alli.

As you said Norman will definitely be a first team squad player as for Long I can’t see him playing much for the 1st team with the likes of Mousinho & Raglan ahead of him at CB Norman covering TM & Ruffles covering LG

KR will play one upfront. So one quality striker with Obika and ANO as back up will work in my view.
If we get a winger in then behind the one striker we will have ANO, Whyte, Mackie, Carruthers, Henry, Hall, Napa, Baptiste filling what 3 places?
Then CM , ANO, Branaghan, Ruffles, Carruthers for two places.
Not sure at this level that is light?

I cannot see KR suddenly taking a player that played way down the non league pyramid last season and include him as a possible first squad. It's got nothing about not wanting youth in the team, but needing experience. The under 23 squad is where players using this season to step up should be named.

Also a squad needs three quality strikers to allow the manager flexibility to change systems when need be. Obika and two strikers brought in leaves 2 quality strikers. After last season, you cant rely on obika to score any more than 10, if he stays injury free that is.

Think KR said he wants 2 Central Midfielder in his quotes last week, a Striker who’s capable of getting around 15+ goals plus is a must imo (specially when we only got 19 goals all season from Thomas Okiba Gvk) hopefully JO steps up to the mark this season & shows his form in pre season in the league campaign, left winger hopefully Ricky Holmes is the one

I cannot see KR suddenly taking a player that played way down the non league pyramid last season and include him as a possible first squad. It's got nothing about not wanting youth in the team, but needing experience. The under 23 squad is where players using this season to step up should be named.

Also a squad needs three quality strikers to allow the manager flexibility to change systems when need be. Obika and two strikers brought in leaves 2 quality strikers. After last season, you cant rely on obika to score any more than 10, if he stays injury free that is.

Then I guess be prepared to be surprised.

KR clearly believes that Obika is capable of being one of the three strikers.
He was given the option to offload players he didn't want (Pekalski was offloaded) and he clearly sees something in Obika even as back up.
Maybe he will be proved right. Pre season friendlies don't mean a lot but Obika looks leaner and fitter than last season and his confidence must be high after the pre season to date.

Long squad number was 22 last season, as I’ve said that number has been given to Raglon so from that you would expect Long to be part or captain of the U23.

KR clearly believes that Obika is capable of being one of the three strikers.
He was given the option to offload players he didn't want (Pekalski was offloaded) and he clearly sees something in Obika even as back up.
Maybe he will be proved right. Pre season friendlies don't mean a lot but Obika looks leaner and fitter than last season and his confidence must be high after the pre season to date.

I do understand he has scored goals against non league opposition and a well taken one against Palace, but throughout most of last season, he looked like he couldn't be bothered, was injured or unfit.

If he didn't do it in a whole season, last season, I cannot see him turning it around 180 degrees. I hope though he does for the club's sake.

I do understand he has scored goals against non league opposition and a well taken one against Palace, but throughout most of last season, he looked like he couldn't be bothered, was injured or unfit.

If he didn't do it in a whole season, last season, I cannot see him turning it around 180 degrees. I hope though he does for the club's sake.

You seem to ignore the fact that most of last season we had a generally poor squad. If you put better players in a team with some players then they generally improve their game.

I also feel that getting rid of Wes Thomas will help Obika because without maybe realising it, Wes was the main man and Beeks was in his shadow.

He's fitter, in form, and getting much better service this time around. Even without goals, his link-up play against palace was much better.

Will do an update later today...will think of a better way to present 1st team // squad // youth

You seem to ignore the fact that most of last season we had a generally poor squad. If you put better players in a team with some players then they generally improve their game.

I also feel that getting rid of Wes Thomas will help Obika because without maybe realising it, Wes was the main man and Beeks was in his shadow.

How can that be? Both were injured for periods last season so saying one was holding the other back is not a fair assumption l.

How can that be? Both were injured for periods last season so saying one was holding the other back is not a fair assumption l.

Yes both were injured, Wes more than most but as a member of the squad he would of been seen as the main man in that position.
Its a bit like when Nelson was injured, he would of still been classed as the main CB within the squad.

That can have a psychological impact on players. Everyone in the squad will have their place within the pecking order. Now Wes has left Obika's place in the squad would of risen.

A football changing room can be a strange place to be at times!

Back
Top Bottom