Current Squad 18/19

Shaun Derry was on Talk sport from around 3:05 today and revealed a few things I find interesting.

1) he said that 3 or 4 more coming in before window shuts.
2)The board wants Karl to get a top 10 finish.

To me sounds like Tiger would be happy with a season of consolidation and building a for the future.

You dont want him to do that job.you want him to be in around the box not sat 15 yrs away waiting to break down an attack.

Didn’t say I did but he could certainly play that role If needed as we have more attacking midfielders than defensive

Last edited:
1) he said that 3 or 4 more coming in before window shuts.

That's a bit different to the 6 more that KR said a week ago and the 8 more he said before Mackie signed.

I hope two of those '3 or 4' are strikers.

We need a striker and a midfielder, plus a reserve or two. Anything else is a bonus

That would leave us very short if we got an injury or two - or even if KR wanted enough experience and talent on the bench to be able to change things significantly. We can't go into a season with two main out and out strikers - one of whom failed last year and is very injury prone.

I’d say one more striker, and a DM for certain are needed. I would like a quick wide man too, Jordan Graham being my choice. Who knows who the fourth will be. Considering KR lays with one up top I wouldn’t overload this department as we have plenty of players who could step into the role if required. I’m a fan of Obika and he has certainly had a good pre season thus far.

That would leave us very short if we got an injury or two - or even if KR wanted enough experience and talent on the bench to be able to change things significantly. We can't go into a season with two main out and out strikers - one of whom failed last year and is very injury prone.
I think what he is saying is that we need a striker and defensive midfield player to go straight I to the team plus a couple more for the bench (winger and striker)
That's about right? Would leave the bench with Obika, Hall/Ward, new striker, new winger, Ruffles, Mousinho, Stevens.
So Napa Not even on the bench.
A decent squad?

How did you enjoy the game on Saturday Kip? Were you impressed with the Oxford players on show? ?

As mentioned. Was a good performance for 60 minutes. Then class showed. Expected.

Weve signed some decent players. Eastwood is class. Still short on options up front. Were not going to blow anyone away this season but i revised my view that we will go down. We wont.

We all keep trying to 2nd guess how many players we need and in what positions, I think everything relies on the formation they are trying to play, you cant have say 3 decent strikers on the books and play one up top, everything will pan out in the next week or so as to the composition of the squad and the U23 squad.

I think what he is saying is that we need a striker and defensive midfield player to go straight I to the team plus a couple more for the bench (winger and striker)
That's about right? Would leave the bench with Obika, Hall/Ward, new striker, new winger, Ruffles, Mousinho, Stevens.
A decent squad?
Who is Ward? I think I'm getting behind here!

I think we need two proper strikers in. Not one and a 'reserve'. And a winger and a DM who are more than capable of holding down a place in the starting line up. So while (injuries and suspensions notwithstanding) we could probably just about get away with that, it seems pretty bare bones to me. It is always spouted by managers and players that there needs to be competition for places in the team and that seems right. We are now down to less than two weeks until the season kicks off, with the transfer window 'slamming shut' five day later. While I don't doubt that KR is as frustrated about it as the rest of us, I hope he has learned that getting a bit over-excited and raising expectations too early is a bit counter-productive.

Still I guess a week is a long time in football (Monsieur Cliche) so two weeks is an eternity. It's a pity any new players won't have gone through pre-season with us, but - whatever managers might want - that always happens.

We all keep trying to 2nd guess how many players we need and in what positions, I think everything relies on the formation they are trying to play, you cant have say 3 decent strikers on the books and play one up top, everything will pan out in the next week or so as to the composition of the squad and the U23 squad.

KR is a staunch 4231 man. Has been criticised for his "overuse" of it in the past.

A decent squad?

Sorry have i missed something

It's easy to forget or dismiss the size of our current squad, let alone the potential addition of four more players. I'd really expect a player or two to depart yet to balance it. We want a 22 man squad, all of which are pushing.

Eastwood, Stevens, Shearer, Norman, McMahon, Dickie, Raglan, Nelson, Mous, Garbett, Whyte, Brannagan, Carruthers, Hall, Henry, Obika, Napa, Baptiste, Carroll, Ruffels, Long and Mackie.

We still want 3-4 more according to Derry and Robinson.

It's easy to forget or dismiss the size of our current squad, let alone the potential addition of four more players. I'd really expect a player or two to depart yet to balance it. We want a 22 man squad, all of which are pushing.

Eastwood, Stevens, Shearer, Norman, McMahon, Dickie, Raglan, Nelson, Mous, Garbett, Whyte, Brannagan, Carruthers, Hall, Henry, Obika, Napa, Baptiste, Carroll, Ruffels, Long and Mackie.

We still want 3-4 more according to Derry and Robinson.
I believe 1 or more of those you named are in the U23 squad

Back
Top Bottom