Current Squad 18/19

Decent strikers left are probably now out of our price range. Marquis, Eaves, Bakayoko, Szmodics, Vaughan etc

Coventry have bid 250K+ for Conor Chaplin.
The Posh paid a large sum for Matt Godden.
It's certainly getting harder to compete at this level.

Yes. Agreed. I genuinely think Tiger initially had best intentions when Robbo presented his "hitlist" but then when we enquired as to the prices was like "erm, let me call my old compadres at Reading about their young reserve"

If anyone thinks that we are on our first, or even second choices now, or holding out for a superstar in waiting to be allowed out by his club, is barking up the wrong tree.

Hopefully Robbo can do a Shrewsbury with all the loanees.

Yes. Agreed. I genuinely think Tiger initially had best intentions when Robbo presented his "hitlist" but then when we enquired as to the prices was like "erm, let me call my old compadres at Reading about their young reserve"

If anyone thinks that we are on our first, or even second choices now, or holding out for a superstar in waiting to be allowed out by his club, is barking up the wrong tree.

Hopefully Robbo can do a Shrewsbury with all the loanees.

I considered if he should be added but I seem to remember reading recently that he has been told to find a club but is yet to leave.

If he is never going to even train or be in England then he is not part of the playing squad really, on the wage bill but not a squad member. I should imagine we will look to a pay off eventually, can’t see him getting a professional contract elsewhere. Worst ever signing contender.

Decent strikers left are probably now out of our price range. Marquis, Eaves, Bakayoko, Szmodics, Vaughan etc

Coventry have bid 250K+ for Conor Chaplin.
The Posh paid a large sum for Matt Godden.
It's certainly getting harder to compete at this level.

Still a few other strikers out there who would be good enough at this level we could get on loan or permanent but have to pay a decent fee to get them

Eoin Doyle
Adam Armstrong
Omar Bogle
Louis Moult
Christian Doidge (made a bid last summer but in his final year)
Billy Kee

Pre Season - Long has been being used at LB, Carroll more in CM than CB...
Agboola seems to have fallen behind Clayton in keeper circles as he went on U23 tour rather than senior - would expect two from these and Stevens to be out on loan again, at least up until Christmas

Thanks! Changes made.

Any other U18s that will make the step and feature for the U23s?

Still a few other strikers out there who would be good enough at this level we could get on loan or permanent but have to pay a decent fee to get them

Eoin Doyle
Adam Armstrong
Omar Bogle
Louis Moult
Christian Doidge (made a bid last summer but in his final year)
Billy Kee
A couple of them could be possibilities.
Billy Kee is probably not though due to his well documented health issues and the fact that he is settled in Accrington and has turned down chances to move.

If he is never going to even train or be in England then he is not part of the playing squad really, on the wage bill but not a squad member. I should imagine we will look to a pay off eventually, can’t see him getting a professional contract elsewhere. Worst ever signing contender.

Just been sent out on loan. Guess he should be on the roster!

Thanks! Changes made.

Any other U18s that will make the step and feature for the U23s?

I'm no mooro, but Albie Hopkins on the bench against Blackburn, perhaps he'll be in line for U23 promotion? Also heard good things regarding Berry-Hargreaves in defence, when he was promoted from the academy.

I'm no mooro, but Albie Hopkins on the bench against Blackburn, perhaps he'll be in line for U23 promotion? Also heard good things regarding Berry-Hargreaves in defence, when he was promoted from the academy.

I initially added both in, however I’m not sure who makes up the U23s at the minute. I assume U18s will be promoted however don’t know them well enough.

I will have another look!

Could someone list the first team squad as it stands today. Using that what do people still think we need to add to the squad?

I think the idea is that there is going to be some fluidity between the three squads, with the younger seniors dropping down into the U23s for the odd game & some of the U23s featuring on the bench here and there etc. Likewise some of the U18s will perhaps step up to fill in for the U23s, although in general I think they will still play all the U18 games where possible.

I'm assuming that the likes of Stevens, Carroll,Long, Baptiste, Napa & Little will be treated primarily as senior squad members, though may feature in the odd U23 game and/or go out on loan. Robinson was quoted this week bigging up Lopes from the U18s, so one would imagine him featuring for the U23s on occasion, plus of course James who I believe is young enough for the U18s but will probably play mostly for the U23s

This would then leave the U23s as: (# featured in U23 game vs City this week)
G - Agboola, Clayton# (Stevens)
D - Berry-Hargreaves#, Johnson-Fikula#, Taylor# (?) (Long, Carroll)
M - Hopkins#, Heap#, Rev James# (Baptiste, Napa, Little)
F - O James, Noel-Williams#, Taverner#

The U18s are as follows: (* featured against Ox C/Hungerford) (subs in U23 game vs City) ('1st/2nd' - year as a scholar)
G - Max Evans (1st), Harris (!st)
D - HArry Sampford (2nd), Viktor Milton (2nd), Nico Jones* (2nd), Freddie Niblett (1st), Harry Mcdonell (1st)
M - Leon Chambers (2nd), Slavi Spacek# (2nd), James Cowan*# (1st), Adam McReadie*# (1st)
F - Owen James (2nd/Pro), Ryan Crooks (2nd), Keiran Lofthouse* (2nd), Jack Stevens (1st), Fabio Lopes* (1st), Jordan Edwards (1st).

As always I shall try to keep tabs on what is happening, depending on how much reporting there is on the club site of U23/U18 games as the season progresses (not always, shall we say er..., comprehensive).

I think the idea is that there is going to be some fluidity between the three squads, with the younger seniors dropping down into the U23s for the odd game & some of the U23s featuring on the bench here and there etc. Likewise some of the U18s will perhaps step up to fill in for the U23s, although in general I think they will still play all the U18 games where possible.

I'm assuming that the likes of Stevens, Carroll,Long, Baptiste, Napa & Little will be treated primarily as senior squad members, though may feature in the odd U23 game and/or go out on loan. Robinson was quoted this week bigging up Lopes from the U18s, so one would imagine him featuring for the U23s on occasion, plus of course James who I believe is young enough for the U18s but will probably play mostly for the U23s

The U18s are as follows: (* featured against Ox C/Hungerford) (subs in U23 game vs City) ('1st/2nd' - year as a scholar)
D - HArry Sampford (2nd), Viktor Milton (2nd), Nico Jones* (2nd), Freddie Niblett (1st), Harry Mcdonell (1st)
M - Leon Chambers (2nd), Slavi Spacek# (2nd), James Cowan*# (1st), Adam McReadie*# (1st)
F - Owen James (2nd/Pro), Ryan Crooks (2nd), Keiran Lofthouse* (2nd), Jack Stevens (1st), Fabio Lopes* (1st), Jordan Edwards (1st).

As always I shall try to keep tabs on what is happening, depending on how much reporting there is on the club site of U23/U18 games as the season progresses (not always, shall we say er..., comprehensive).

Many thanks that is a really detailed summary. Please could you put up what you believe the first squad looks like. Looking at that first team squad, I would then really be interested as to what you think still needs to be added. There were a few names mentioned in different positions, and claims we were after them. I think another striker is a must, and maybe a midfielder/winger. Going by comments from KR over the last couple of weeks, he is still looking for another 3 to 4.

Many thanks that is a really detailed summary. Please could you put up what you believe the first squad looks like. Looking at that first team squad, I would then really be interested as to what you think still needs to be added. There were a few names mentioned in different positions, and claims we were after them. I think another striker is a must, and maybe a midfielder/winger. Going by comments from KR over the last couple of weeks, he is still looking for another 3 to 4.
The opening post has the senior squad (minus Mackie), which doesn't look to have too many glaring holes in it any more, especially if more attackers arrive in the next day or two as suggested. I'll leave others to suggest names, line-ups, formations etc, and will trust Robinson to do what else needs doing, when and if it needs doing.

I'm just pleased to see how many youngsters we have on the scene nowadays, from which we can now start to expect some to kick on and become the regulars of the future

Thanks, interesting read.

Hopefully with the development of the U23s, and Dan Harris's development of the academy, the coverage of the these teams will improve and be far better than previous seasons.

Looking at the squad as it is one thing that worries me is the centre of midfield. No doubt very talented and heaps of quality in there, but our oldest centre midfielder is Carruthers (Mousinho can play there but think KR sees him as 3rd choice CB) we have no older experienced player whose going to do the dirty bits of work and anchor a young midfield in the more physical games like Wimbledon and Gillingham, where they come for a "hit and run" performance.

Hopefully Karacan accepts this offer as he is exactly what we need.If not I hope KR has a target waiting in the wings to pursue.

Apart from that the only other concern is one more ST and anything else is just adding quality.

After watching Brannigan last season I’d say he was more than capable of doing that job!

While he can do that job, I'd rather give him freedom as a playmaker. He had an incredible range of passing yesterday, setting us off down the wings and putting Obika through for the opener.

We don't have anyone to really harry the opposition tirelessly, aside from Carroll, and he's fallen out of favour a bit.

While he can do that job, I'd rather give him freedom as a playmaker. He had an incredible range of passing yesterday, setting us off down the wings and putting Obika through for the opener.

We don't have anyone to really harry the opposition tirelessly, aside from Carroll, and he's fallen out of favour a bit.
Supposed interest from a team higher up for Carroll aswell.

Thanks Mooro, very interesting.
I am not sure whether you heard KR last night?
He was eulogising about Lopez and I think that his response to the interviewers question regarding most OUFC supporters not having heard of him much, suggested that most football supporters in England will hear about him soon (or did I misheard that).
It sounded like he may be fast tracked into.the U23 but as you suggest that doesn't stop him.from playing YT games.

Thanks Mooro, very interesting.
I am not sure whether you heard KR last night?
He was eulogising about Lopez and I think that his response to the interviewers question regarding most OUFC supporters not having heard of him much, suggested that most football supporters in England will hear about him soon (or did I misheard that).
It sounded like he may be fast tracked into.the U23 but as you suggest that doesn't stop him.from playing YT games.

He looked very strong for a 16 year old in the match yesterday. Very much expect to see him in U23 squad soon, with maybe a couple of substitute appearances in the Checkatrade?

Back
Top Bottom