Current Squad - Keep or Let Go

Mousinho? Calming influence..? He’s caused several near heart attacks this season ? Admittedly he has improved a lot recently though. He had a good game yesterday and a great penalty under pressure. So yep maybe..

He caused those heart attacks because he is calm on the ball...in my opinion!

Mousinho has a wobble through the season, but he had xemi in front of him, Martin alongside him and Tiendalli.

No one seemed concerned when he had Nelson alongside him.

He caused those heart attacks because he is calm on the ball...in my opinion!

Mousinho has a wobble through the season, but he had xemi in front of him, Martin alongside him and Tiendalli.

No one seemed concerned when he had Nelson alongside him.
It would be interesting to see him play in midfield in front of the back four. The only potential problem is if he played too deep making it almost a back 5.

I think Ruffels signed a new contract back in October, so he's with us until 2020 - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41695764

For me, I think the ideal retained list (if we can offload Hemmings, Obika and Pekalski, which we may not be able to) is:

GK - Eastwood, Stevens
CB - Nelson, Dickie, Mousinho
CM - Brannagan, Ledson, Ruffels
W - Henry, Napa, Hall
Util - Caroll

And that's it, barring a few youngsters......
Robinson will then likely need to bring in 7-9 to build a competitive squad (more, obviously, if we sell Eastwood, Nelson or Ledson). With Kane perhaps being one of those.

I reckon that Ledson will go which will reduce the numbers to 11. I guess that the only thing re the players in the squad at the end of the season is will KR try and pay off/ get rid of Obika?
Presumably we will try and sell Hemmings
It looks like we will try and keep Kane and keep Ricardino.

KR and Tiger said last night that he is looking for 10 new players.

Is anybody close enough to know whether any of the young players are likely to do a 'Napa' and force their way into the squad?

For what its worth I don't think Kane is good enough, perhaps I have been spoilt with Baldock. I hope we can manage to keep "Ricky" as well as Ledson and Rothwell. I was impressed with Brannagan yesterday and with the tenacity and speed he has to cover in front of the back four, I don't think Mousinho would be able to do that unfortunately.

I reckon that Ledson will go which will reduce the numbers to 11. I guess that the only thing re the players in the squad at the end of the season is will KR try and pay off/ get rid of Obika?
Presumably we will try and sell Hemmings
It looks like we will try and keep Kane and keep Ricardino.

KR and Tiger said last night that he is looking for 10 new players.

Is anybody close enough to know whether any of the young players are likely to do a 'Napa' and force their way into the squad?
With the introduction of an u23 team next season my guess is that there will be 4 or 5 20/21 yr olds coming in that have been released from Championship or Premier academies. I would think they will come with a view to bolstering the first team squad when required

It’s more difficult as KR has improved many of the players, and the performances have improved recently.
If we were to bring in ten new players that goes against logic as KR said he wants a smaller squad.
Eastwood, Dickie, Ledson, Kane I would certainly want to keep. Not sure about Mousinho. Definitely need a new strike partnership

It’s more difficult as KR has improved many of the players, and the performances have improved recently.
If we were to bring in ten new players that goes against logic as KR said he wants a smaller squad.
Eastwood, Dickie, Ledson, Kane I would certainly want to keep. Not sure about Mousinho. Definitely need a new strike partnership

Based on the last few weeks I'd happily keep Mous.

I'd probably keep Mousinho as well, but play him in midfield (his usual position) - that would play to his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses to some degree. He might not be first choice there though as I think Brannigan has been getting steadily more and more assured. So if we kept him he could cover defensive midfield and centre back if required.

For what its worth I don't think Kane is good enough, perhaps I have been spoilt with Baldock. I hope we can manage to keep "Ricky" as well as Ledson and Rothwell. I was impressed with Brannagan yesterday and with the tenacity and speed he has to cover in front of the back four, I don't think Mousinho would be able to do that unfortunately.

I would be more than happy with Kane, he is s the first right back since Baldock to get down the wing and chip in with crosses.

I would be more than happy with Kane, he is s the first right back since Baldock to get down the wing and chip in with crosses.
He's not afraid to "mix it" with the opposition either. Just what we need in this division. We've had a soft underbelly for far too long.

Would Mousinho want to stay as backup? I'd happily keep him for his versatility and he's captained a side up from this division (something KR is focusing on). As backup to Nelson and Dickie OK, as backup to Brannagan/Ledson OK, but not a starter for me.

Kane has won me over in these last few weeks, while I'm still not 100% convinced it's a case of better the devil you know with him and he appears very keen to stay. I'd be happy enough lining up with him starting at RB next season.

He's not afraid to "mix it" with the opposition either. Just what we need in this division. We've had a soft underbelly for far too long.

Noticed on Saturday that he was giving one of Rochdale’s coaching staff a bit of verbals for holding onto the ball when we had a throw-in.

Need more of this attitude as KR has rightly identified.

Would Mousinho want to stay as backup? I'd happily keep him for his versatility and he's captained a side up from this division (something KR is focusing on). As backup to Nelson and Dickie OK, as backup to Brannagan/Ledson OK, but not a starter for me.

Kane has won me over in these last few weeks, while I'm still not 100% convinced it's a case of better the devil you know with him and he appears very keen to stay. I'd be happy enough lining up with him starting at RB next season.

If he’s third choice CB, he’s definitely going to get a decent number of games due to suspensions, injuries and everything else.

Perhaps we can sub him on to take penalties too.

Another upside to signing Todd Kane – we would finally have ownership for the right-back role.

From the moment Michael Appleton was appointed head coach, we’ve had a series of loanees and false starts in the right-back role. Joe Riley, George Baldock, Jonjoe Kenny, Phil Edwards, Christian Ribiero, Dwight Tiandalli and now Todd Kane have all played there. Considering five of those have been loanees and were always earmarked to return to parent clubs and the two permanent signings have been massively affected by injuries during and prior to signing, we need someone to make that position his own.

Kane could be that man.

Kane won me over with the guts he showed with the “I’m not f**king coming off” moment a few weeks ago (Oldham home I believe?)

He’d taken a real smash but fought to stay on the pitch. He was interested in both pens Saturday too such was his desire to help the cause.

Things to work on defensively - but let’s not forget despite his age he doesn’t have heaps of first team football to have helped him develop (as someone like Ledson does for instance). There’s plenty of raw ability - and anybody that shows that kind of bottle and desire to play for us, alongside some decent potential, is good enough for me.

Personally I hope he stays...

I'd be happy to keep Kane and he certainly wants to stay so let's hope that can be tied up soon.

I’d like Kane to stay but after listening to his interview on ifollow on Friday I’m not so sure he’s as desperate to stay as some suggest. He seemed a bit cagey about it when asked and, to me, seemed to be keeping his options open, which is fair enough. I think he has designs to play in the championship, whether a champ team would be interested is another matter..

I think there might need to be some realism about the types of player we can and cannot afford - specifically what that means for the retained list

There seems little point in paying off the likes of Obika and Hemmings when we will be in the market for very similar players at roughly the same wages. They are squad fillers rather than starters

Kr has said it’s a top eight budget today

Back
Top Bottom