Sport Cricket - Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
normal crap test batting resumed then - Burns gone on 18 , and Crawley gone for 6 ..... shockingly bad top order

134/2 Root 70* Sibley 28* from 131 balls. Jesus like watching paint dry. He looks like a rabbit in headlights everytime he faces a ball.

Now Sibley is out. England 135/3 Good catch by Pant to be fair.

The thing with Sibley, you wouldn't mind his slow scoring rate if he was going on to make game changing scores, averaging 40+, à la peak Jonathan Trott. But he doesn't do that. He's a million miles away from that. All he does is put pressure on other batters to permanently keep things ticking along.

The thing with Sibley, you wouldn't mind his slow scoring rate if he was going on to make game changing scores, averaging 40+, à la peak Jonathan Trott. But he doesn't do that. He's a million miles away from that. All he does is put pressure on other batters to permanently keep things ticking along.

He’s not up to the standard required. I don’t know how long you can persist with the bloke. He’s had a fair crack, and it’s time to give someone else a go.

He’s not up to the standard required. I don’t know how long you can persist with the bloke. He’s had a fair crack, and it’s time to give someone else a go.

Like Hameed for example

England need to eek out as many runs as they cab. 200 unlikely to be enough

208 is the target for India.

Not a big total although they’ll have to be doing it on a day five (in reality day four) pitch.

India 209 to win then. An early couple of wickets makes it interesting, but you'd have to fancy they are strong favourites. Without a proper spinner or a pace merchant to mop up the tail, you always think teams can get a partnership going against us even if we do get a cluster of wickets.

Superb knock from Root. I fear the day when he is going to retire from his bad back from having to carry the side for so long. Also well done Sammy Curran, proper little grafter and shows a lot more guts than many of those batting above him.

India 209 to win then. An early couple of wickets makes it interesting, but you'd have to fancy they are strong favourites. Without a proper spinner or a pace merchant to mop up the tail, you always think teams can get a partnership going against us even if we do get a cluster of wickets.

Superb knock from Root. I fear the day when he is going to retire from his bad back from having to carry the side for so long. Also well done Sammy Curran, proper little grafter and shows a lot more guts than many of those batting above him.

Even if England get early wickets, India have the ultimate counter attacker in Pant.

If they’ve dislodged him and India have 60 or so to get, it could be very interesting.

Rain interrupting play tomorrow is the only way England will get a result (draw).

India should chase that target down no problem.

How reliant are England on Joe Root?
We are bereft of batsmen. Long gone Strauss, Cook, Trott, Bell, Vaughan, Trescothick and even Collingwood who you could tell on to grind it out and support the more flamboyant batsmen.

How reliant are England on Joe Root?
We are bereft of batsmen. Long gone Strauss, Cook, Trott, Bell, Vaughan, Trescothick and even Collingwood who you could tell on to grind it out and support the more flamboyant batsmen.
I’d also take a Pieterson, Thorpe or Botham!

From BBC Sport...

During the course of his magnificent 109 at Trent Bridge - an innings brimming with so much class it would make James Bond think he has to buck his ideas up - Root passed 1,000 Test runs for the year. No other England player has more than 354.

rain delays play until (at least) after lunch.... England might just snatch an unlikely draw from a likely defeat with aid from the weather gods

It’s the only way we will get a result, because otherwise India will knock them runs off quite quickly. Rohit Sharma and Rishabh Pant. Both very quick scorers.

A startling defensive display from ‘rain stops play’ secures a draw for England.

Get them in the team for the next Test.

A combination of Root and the weather saved us. I hope we aren't relying on the same combination for every one of the remaining tests!

Robinson and Anderson from the bowling unit did well. Time to move Broad out and pick Wood? Batting is a serious worry, and has been for 2 years now.

Wouldnt be at all surprised if its the same 11 for the next test.

”They’re quality players, we see it every day in the nets”.. blah blah blah......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom