General Consortium Takeover - News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things like this have always taken longer in Oxford than other parts of the country.
Isn't that the truth. I live between Oxford, Aylesbury, and Milton Keynes. The amount of building work going on in both of the Bucks towns is staggering, they are changing massively. Oxfordshire? Things take so much more time.

Although I guess there is a lot more room for improvement in the inferior county, so they are more enthusiastic 😂

Isn't that the truth. I live between Oxford, Aylesbury, and Milton Keynes. The amount of building work going on in both of the Bucks towns is staggering, they are changing massively. Oxfordshire? Things take so much more time.

Although I guess there is a lot more room for improvement in the inferior county, so they are more enthusiastic 😂
In Oxford depends what college you are or if it’s brooks then it happens quickly anything else has to wait

To be fair both Aylesbury and MK need a lot more improvement than Oxford

The problem with Oxfordshire is the land a majority of not all is owned by the collages.

The problem with Oxfordshire is the land a majority of not all is owned by the collages.

That’s very true. I heard a rumour once that you can travel from Oxford to Cambridge and not leave land owned by the two universities. I’m not sure how much truth there is that. I do also recall writing to my local councillor about improving a cycle path in Oxford. Part of sorting out who owned bits of it were easy and they were sorted quickly. The delay was in acquiring part owned by Hertford College who flat batted handing part of it over to the city council. It got done in the end but boy was it difficult dealing with the uni.

Also, there’s the city and county council issues to concede. The city council would build more houses and infrastructure if they could. The county councils want to avoid it. Just look at the roads around the Kassam Stadium. Roundabouts with three rather than four exits. The missing exits would go off into South Oxfordshire land and the ruddy faced Tories that frequent that district don’t want any of that will they!

Also, there’s the city and county council issues to concede. The city council would build more houses and infrastructure if they could. The county councils want to avoid it. Just look at the roads around the Kassam Stadium. Roundabouts with three rather than four exits. The missing exits would go off into South Oxfordshire land and the ruddy faced Tories that frequent that district don’t want any of that will they!
That's why they overturned the local council's objections and forced an acceptance to build. (That's a Lib Dem council v. a Tory government.)

That’s very true. I heard a rumour once that you can travel from Oxford to Cambridge and not leave land owned by the two universities. I’m not sure how much truth there is that. I do also recall writing to my local councillor about improving a cycle path in Oxford. Part of sorting out who owned bits of it were easy and they were sorted quickly. The delay was in acquiring part owned by Hertford College who flat batted handing part of it over to the city council. It got done in the end but boy was it difficult dealing with the uni.

I heard from Oxford to Bristol without leaving Brasenose colleges owned lands. Either or neither or both may be true but for crtain many of the universities are very land rich. Hence why the football club owners 'maybe' cosying up to the college hierarchy.

Apparently you can walk from Oxford to Southampton on University land Not sure if that's true but it's what I have been told

That’s very true. I heard a rumour once that you can travel from Oxford to Cambridge and not leave land owned by the two universities. I’m not sure how much truth there is that.

I was led to believe that it was the case up until the mid-2000's but there was a small piece of land sold, which broke the connection.

Much like the other commenters, I was told by a St John's employee that you could get to London from Oxford on their land.

There was a chap on the radio talking about the much needed green energy development in Scotland, mostly wind farms. As he pointed out, the big financial beneficiaries are land owners - and apparently half of the land in Scotland is owned by 0.008% of the population!

The city council said that after Barton Park is finished there will be no more large development within the city boundaries so I wouldn’t say that entity is keen to build anything either.

It’s mental that there is a housing shortage in Oxford/Oxfordshire, it’s mostly fields with loads of room to build while still keeping its character and plenty of countryside. The whole county risks becoming a backwater if it doesn’t invest but unfortunately it has never a single council with any vision.

Also, there’s the city and county council issues to concede. The city council would build more houses and infrastructure if they could. The county councils want to avoid it. Just look at the roads around the Kassam Stadium. Roundabouts with three rather than four exits. The missing exits would go off into South Oxfordshire land and the ruddy faced Tories that frequent that district don’t want any of that will

It's worth looking at this again as a reminder as to why it has been especially difficult to develop land in Oxford since the war.

The strict green belt policy could at last be easing and this might be our opportunity.

How come I have a sense of deja vu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom