Matches Charlton Away - 1st October - Train Strikes

Overground trains from London Bridge to and beyond Charlton (The Valley) are still running before and after the game as normal however subject to change with a revised schedule announced this Tuesday.
Our train from Newark to Lincoln at 10pm has already been cancelled coming back so i am now thinking this is going to be hard work navigating to and from just for a game of football.
It is suggested on tfl website that the overground and southeast trains will be affected so guess we will wait to Tuesday to see if any updates

You were lucky. We used to walk to games, licking the tarmac all the way. When we got there we would have to cut the grass, paint the white lines and clean the toilets. One of us would have to be kicked around as there was no ball and four others would have to stand there as goalposts. When we got back home, we had to check this forum to find KR had bought another injured winger instead of a fullback.
Luxury!

.what ever happened to hitchhiking?? Me & my mates hitched the length & breadth of England to watch the Us over the years.
There can't be many of us left who used to have to hitch-hike to games. We had to do that for about three years after they closed Witney train station and before we went off to college. Always started off stood outside the almshouses in Newland (my great aunt lived at #1) and always tried to get to the Wolvercot roundabout in one hitch. Did some away matches too, I remember managing to hitch to Bolton, and to Carlisle. Strange days.

Edit - I remember the last match we hitched to was an evening game at Villa Park. Drew 0-0 in front of 30,000+ after Roy Clayton had missed a sitter from two yards out in front of the Oxford end. Got back about 03:30. After that one of my mates had bought a car.

Last edited:
There can't be many of us left who used to have to hitch-hike to games. We had to do that for about three years after they closed Witney train station and before we went off to college. Always started off stood outside the almshouses in Newland (my great aunt lived at #1) and always tried to get to the Wolvercot roundabout in one hitch. Did some away matches too, I remember managing to hitch to Bolton, and to Carlisle. Strange days.

Edit - I remember the last match we hitched to was an evening game at Villa Park. Drew 0-0 in front of 30,000+ after Roy Clayton had missed a sitter from two yards out in front of the Oxford end. Got back about 03:30. After that one of my mates had bought a car.
Eeeeeh, tell that to young people these days, they wonโ€™t believe you

Fair-play to you, I know afew that did it. Like I said if there's a will there's a way if you really wanted to go to charlton. To be fair you don't see any hikers anymore ,on the corners with their placards. I tried it for old times sake a few years back.Hitching back from Wycombe, nobody wanted to pick me up. I was stuck for hours then all of a sudden ,bizzarly a 001 taxi pulled up & gave me a lift ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ for free as well ๐Ÿ˜‚ .it definitely made the away days more fun & entertaining ๐Ÿค˜

Hmm - I'd booked to stay in London on Friday night as seeing a band in Hackney Wick, rather than going all the way home only to travel all the way back to East London on the Saturday. But my semi-flexible booking is only refundable 3 days before arrival. So I have to cancel by midnight tonight. Just seen that SW Trains are not running to or from home to London on the Saturday, and the last train to Woking is 17:50 from Waterloo.

All trains need to have reached destinations by 18:30 on these national strike days. (It's something to do with how the signal centre shifts work and Network Rail being on strike).
Most timetables seem to have dropped into systems now.

With it being a joined up drivers and other role strikes - some operators are running nothing e.g. Avanti West Coast, West Midlands Trains.
National level of service expected to be in the region of 10% of a normal timetable.

Last edited:
Genueine question - with the train strikes affecting travel why not use LRC coaches? WHat would make that a more attractive option?

I guess for a lot of people they are going for the day out in London and the coach would get there at most a few hours before the game.

While going on the train allows for an all dayer.
Bit of a shame to go to London and come straight home after the game. The coach needs to pick up at 11 pm from Marble Arch!

Bit of a shame to go to London and come straight home after the game. The coach needs to pick up at 11 pm from Marble Arch!
Yes - this is what I had suspected. Almost needs to have an additional coach timetable on train strike days.

Looks like I could have got the National Express from Victoria back home. However it departs at 5:30pm, 8:30pm or 10pm and takes over an hour. Anyway, I've now cancelled the hotel and will send the match ticket back.

Genueine question - with the train strikes affecting travel why not use LRC coaches? WHat would make that a more attractive option?
Is it worth having the OX2, OX3, OX7 buses run for away games to get fans to the ground so they can use the LRC? Maybe just a single decker/less stops?

I for example don't drive and live in Carterton, so I have to get the S1 to Oxford, then the number 1 to Blackbird leys, and I have to leave before I really need to as Stagecoach are awful for keeping on schedule, and I can't go to any Tuesday away games, as there's no bus at that time that I can take back to Carterton.

It would add a lot of convenience.

Got a mate who lives and works in London so always go for a few drinks, looking into Oxford Tube so we can still meet up

LRC coaches only visit Lincoln once a season, I donโ€™t think the other 50 supporters on the coach bound for Charlton would appreciate another 200 miles just to pick us 5 up from Lincoln for the London trip....

Having thoroughly enjoyed Oxford City's 3-3 draw with Bath on Saturday and with the weekend's travel disruptions in mind, I'm tempted to give the Charlton game a miss and watch City in the FA Cup 3rd qualifying round. Part time supporter, or what!

Having thoroughly enjoyed Oxford City's 3-3 draw with Bath on Saturday and with the weekend's travel disruptions in mind, I'm tempted to give the Charlton game a miss and watch City in the FA Cup 3rd qualifying round. Part time supporter, or what!
People are finding other things to do on a Saturday, as robinson is allowed to drag us down.

Back
Top Bottom