Fan's View Fan's View 21/22 - no.37 - Charlton away

Thanks Paul, a great read as usual.

But your last couple of sentences have set me off again! Hopefully no-one will get bored by this next bit, but my dad died recently. We didn't have a great relationship, and he had been very ill, but no-one told me until I got a call to say he was dead. So no chance to have one last chat at his death bed, no warning, just a phone call to say he died and there wouldn't even be a funeral. So no chance to get any sort of closure. You would imagine I would have been distraught, but in fact I compartmentalised it very well, and have not been particularly upset, as I thought I might be. But for the last 48 hours I've shed 1,000 times more tears over the loss of Joey, and am fighting them back now, as I type. Why would that be? What does it mean? Is it that it's a shared grief with many others? Is it because every time I read something on social media there are posts about Joey? Is it normal for a 65 year old man to cry so much over somebody he's only met and chatted to a few times?

I'm really not sure, but what I do know is that only football can do this. The lows currently feel so low, but let's hope in May we're celebrating the highs, and when we are let's dedicate it to Joey.

Superb report Paul.
First 15 minutes our defence certainly looked a bit disorganised and shaky, fortunately Charlton weren't capable of taking advantage. Then when MT had that injury (now known as game management syndrome) it gave Karl the opportunity to have a little team talk, fresh instructions and we were sorted.
How can you predict a promotion race, who would have thought back in 1996 Blackpool would collapse, after a Joey special, and we would nick 2nd place. In 1996 we conceded 39 goals in 46 games, 0.84 per game.
Going back to 1984 it was 50 goals in 46 games, 1.08 goals per game, then in 1985 we conceded 36 goals in 42 games, 0.85 goals per game.
I do think you need to concede less than 1 goal per game to realistically expect an auto promotion place. We are some way off that standard at the moment.

As a defense-obsessed stats freak, I have to say that the first part of the write-up gave me chills!

Any one happen to have a spare programme from this - forgot to pick one up for the collection

Any one happen to have a spare programme from this - forgot to pick one up for the collection

I took cash for a programme for the first time since the nineties on Saturday but, perhaps unsurprisingly, they had all seemed to have sold out.

Back
Top Bottom