Home Match Day Thread +++ 7/12/2019 OUFC V Shrewsbury Town +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2018 Jordan Archer had played 45/46 games for the team that finished 8th in the Championship. Nearly 70 appearances in that league over the past two seasons. Experience of winning promotion from League One the season before. He has very good pedigree for an emergency cover signing and I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't stand in for Eastwood immediately. Think the job is his until he loses it/Eastwood comes back.

I cannot see Archer coming here to be back up to a back up goalkeeper. Stevens doesn't have the confidence of KR, hence the Derby keeper that came straight in during Eastwood's last injury. Stevens outplay is suspect, and he didn't really get anywhere near the penalties on Wednesday.

The forums troll was up late last night surely his mum and dad have him in bed by 9pm. Knows little about football and me thinks even less about goalkeeping

Going for a 1-1- draw. Missing players (Brannagan in particular) a long break from the home ground, more and more pressure as the not losing streak continues, all adding up to a time of problems. But we are still good enough to get through.

If we are considering that we may be good enough to get automatic promotion this year, then this is one game that we should be expected to win.
No question that we will have to dig deep. That is a given. But if we can be sharp and precise in our passing then we should win this relatively comfortably... 3-0 Taylor x2 Henry.

During our 10 game league streak, we've conceded only 4 goals in 10 games. I don't think any of us would say much of that was down to Eastwood. He just hasn't had much to do.

Maybe Shrewsbury will be instructed to take a few more pot shots to test Archer, but the loss of Gorrin for this match will be a bigger impact.

I think this will be an end-to-end contest, and our back four will have to be monumental. I'd even put Long in for Cadden to ensure maximum protection at the back.

I'm going to go for a 2-0 win. Taylor and Fosu (who last scored on the 26th October vs Rochdale, and needs to end this mini barren spell)

The amount of injuries stacking up, plus Gorrin’s suspension, our midfield in particular is looking depleted. KR also refers to a further injury to a mystery player. Setbacks now for Brannagan and Baptiste and it’s looking a tricky period of matches.

As for this match against Shrewsbury I’m expecting a tight, scrappy affair.

1-1 Henry.

With our midfield looking fairly lightweight and a new keeper between the sticks, I would be pretty happy with a draw today. Every team has a period or two each season when the cards are stacked against them and this is definitely ours.

A win of any kind would be brilliant though! ?

What happens IF Archer plays brilliantly and keeps clean sheets till Eastwood is back?
Then he’ll keep his place.
No idea what Archer will be like, but if he’s played 70+games in the Championship in the last two years, he’ll have something about him. And I remember that most posters on this forum were very negative about Eastwood when he re-signed. Shame for Stevens, but for all KR’s nice words about him, it sounds like he thinks he can step in for the odd game, but no more......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom