Home Match Day Thread 6-10-2020 EFL Trophy OUFC v Bristol Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would definitely keep Agyei, I think he offers something different and is a threat. Hall is not the player he used to be sadly, but still offers a certain experience and nous that make him very useful I think. Let's not forget, this squad will be stretched incredibly thin over the next few weeks and months (if all fixtures go ahead) - they're solid squad players, if not slightly better.

Can see why people might criticise Osei Yaw but I'm really warming to him. He just keeps scoring! Obviously raw but it seems like he just has that striker's instinct, at this level at least.

If Eastwood gets injured, I can see Stevens getting a run of games as starting keeper and never giving up the shirt. Yet another impressive performance from him. I think there's obviously a danger in having a starting back 5 of him, Atkinson, Clare and Moore, who probably have about 50 League One-level appearances between them as things stand, but he seems to be seizing the opportunities he's offered with both hands.

Results in our group so far after this evening's game:

Oxford 2 Chelsea U21 1
Bristol Rovers 2 Walsall 2 (Walsall won on pens)

Walsall 1 Chelsea U21 1 (Chelsea U21 won on pens)
Oxford 1 Bristol Rovers 1 (Oxford won on pens)

So now Oxford have 5 points from 2 games, Walsall 3 points from 2 games, Chelsea U21 2 points from 2 games and Bristol Rovers 2 points from 2 games.

So I believe these are the possible outcomes from our final game at Walsall on Tuesday 10th November:

- a win would mean we top the group with 8 points;

- a draw and a win on penalties would mean we top the group with 7 points;

- a draw and a loss on penalties would mean we top the group with 6 points;

- a defeat would leave us on 5 points with at best a goal difference of zero. Walsall would be above us on 6 points and our continued presence in the competition would depend on the result in the Bristol Rovers v Chelsea U21 game as follows:

(a) if Bristol Rovers and Chelsea U21 draw we would go through in 2nd place;

(b) if Bristol Rovers beat Chelsea U21 then Bristol Rovers would finish above us having 5 points and a positive goal difference, so we would go out;

(c) if Chelsea U21 beat Bristol Rovers, then Chelsea U21 would have a goal difference of at worst zero. So for us to go through in this scenario, we must only lose by one goal and Chelsea U21 must only win by one goal, and also Chelsea U21 must not score more than 1 extra goal than Oxford score in their respective final games. Oxford and Chelsea U21 would then be level under criterias (a) and (c), so Oxford would go through due to either having scored more goals or else if goals scored are the same, then Oxford would go through based on the Group result between Oxford and Chelsea U21.

According to the BBC fixtures, Bristol Rovers v Chelsea U21 is scheduled for Wednesday 18th November, 8 days after our game at Walsall.

Teams level on points are separated by (a) goal difference, (b) goals scored, (c) no. of wins after normal time and (d) the record against each other in the group Match.

Oxford 2 Chelsea U21 1

So now Oxford have 5 points from 2 games, Walsall 3 points from 2 games, Chelsea U21 2 points from 2 games and Bristol Rovers 2 points from 2 games.

So I believe these are the possible outcomes from our final game at Walsall on Tuesday 10th November:

- a defeat would leave us on 5 points with at best a goal difference of zero. Walsall would be above us on 6 points and our continued presence in the competition would depend on the result in the Bristol Rovers v Chelsea U21 game as follows:

(b) if Bristol Rovers beat Chelsea U21 then Bristol Rovers would finish above us having 5 points and a positive goal difference, so we would go out;

(c) if Chelsea U21 beat Bristol Rovers, then Chelsea U21 would have a goal difference of at worst zero. So for us to go through in this scenario, we must only lose by one goal and Chelsea U21 must only win by one goal, and also Chelsea U21 must not score more than 1 extra goal than Oxford score in their respective final games. Oxford and Chelsea U21 would then be level under criterias (a) and (c), so Oxford would go through due to either having scored more goals or else if goals scored are the same, then Oxford would go through based on the Group result between Oxford and Chelsea U21.

According to the BBC fixtures, Bristol Rovers v Chelsea U21 is scheduled for Wednesday 18th November, 8 days after our game at Walsall.

Teams level on points are separated by (a) goal difference, (b) goals scored, (c) no. of wins after normal time and (d) the record against each other in the group Match.

This is the table after tonight

Attachments

• 4FC2F964-F26B-40D0-84B8-17FD88B01179.jpeg
    4FC2F964-F26B-40D0-84B8-17FD88B01179.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 26

Oxford 2 Chelsea U21 1

Think Ive got that. Good research pity the games arent on the same night for proper nailbiting stuff(partly joking!)

Think Ive got that. Good research pity the games arent on the same night for proper nailbiting stuff(partly joking!)
We have not have 4 points 2 d
For a win against the Chelsea kids 1
Point for the draw tonight and an extra point for the penalty win

It appears there are conflicting views on Hall and Osei going out on loan
But no conflict about Hanson going, either on loan or just going .....

But no conflict about Hanson going, either on loan or just going .....
He's never had a decent run in the team, mainly due to injuries. He's probably a better player than we realise but how long can you keep waiting for him to prove it?

Funny to see Hall come under continued criticism here. Was one of our better players against Watford, did okay against Lincoln from a creative sense and whilst I didn't fork out a tenner for last night's game, he did get the assist. Was he that bad last night?

Fair enough if we sign someone with a bit of pace I can't see him getting many minutes, but with the squad as it is, he's one of the few players we have capable of beating a man one-on-one. I don't rate him particularly, but this season has been no worse than at least half a dozen others.

Funny to see Hall come under continued criticism here. Was one of our better players against Watford, did okay against Lincoln from a creative sense and whilst I didn't fork out a tenner for last night's game, he did get the assist. Was he that bad last night?

Fair enough if we sign someone with a bit of pace I can't see him getting many minutes, but with the squad as it is, he's one of the few players we have capable of beating a man one-on-one. I don't rate him particularly, but this season has been no worse than at least half a dozen others.

No, he wasn't that bad, not brilliant but not poor either. Like McGuane had good moments and bad moments in the game.

Cam Brannagan wasn't very good yesterday and put in some stupid challenges that could have seen him booked twice and sent off. And agree about the other games Hall was involved in.

Last edited:
With some of the comments on here i truly wonder if people approach the games with an open mind and actually watch them or go by Radio Oxford commentary when making judgements. Yes it's a game of opinions but Sykes and Agyei to go on Loan? Seriously?.

So let's be clear on this, when we lose a game of Football we are shite, our model is to sign and develop younger players but if any of them have what some consider a poor game they can just be sent on Loan? have i read this right?

This is not Man City where you can field 2 strong 11's, nobody would suggest that you would start with last nights " 11" but anyone of them is good enough to play and do a job in the first team as some of them have already shown unless you choose to have a selective memory, That is why you have a squad.

Some people need to open their eyes and realize we are in the 3rd tier of the League and stop judging by the Super Sundays and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom