Home Match Day Thread +++ 08/09/2020 OUFC v Chelsea u21 EFL /checkatrad trophy 8/9/20 +++

to be fair he's always plied his trade as a midfielder so it's not a surprise at this stage

Clare bursting forward for that first goal is exactly what we have missed since Cadden. It adds that additional edge to our attack and can pull defences all over the place. Promising.

The highlight for me though is that bit of build-up play from Agyei for our second goal. Obviously it's only one single highlight, so may not reflect the game as a whole, but if he can be that strong target man who can control long balls and bring others into play, as he does superbly there, we may have already found our 'second striker who can offer something different'.

Clare bursting forward for that first goal is exactly what we have missed since Cadden. It adds that additional edge to our attack and can pull defences all over the place. Promising.

The highlight for me though is that bit of build-up play from Agyei for our second goal. Obviously it's only one single highlight, so may not reflect the game as a whole, but if he can be that strong target man who can control long balls and bring others into play, as he does superbly there, we may have already found our 'second striker who can offer something different'.

I do hope people will give Clare a bit of time to adjust, just like Cadden had at the start of his spell. He's relatively young and it's a relatively new position for him to grow into, but I'm confident he'll come good.

I noticed that from Agyei in the highlights too, brilliant holding play to allow the speed and guile of Osei Yaw in. If we can fashion Agyei into an out-an-out striker then that'll do wonders for the squad, as we don't really need another right-sided forward what with Sykes, Henry, Forde and Hall available.

I noticed that from Agyei in the highlights too, brilliant holding play to allow the speed and guile of Osei Yaw in. If we can fashion Agyei into an out-an-out striker then that'll do wonders for the squad, as we don't really need another right-sided forward what with Sykes, Henry, Forde and Hall available.
Dan Agyei was playing regular League One football as a centre forward going back four years, when he was on loan at Coventry and then went to Walsall a year later. I don’t buy the “he isn’t really a centre forward” line that was coming out through the local press a few days ago. Sean Dyche was his manager at Burnley - he wanted to keep him, which is often overlooked - and he says he’s a centre forward. So he’s probably a centre forward. If he can do a job out wide and fill a secondary role that’s another matter, but that’s his natural role.

I’ve had a look at the highlights and it looks like he did okay. He threw himself at a loose ball while being in the right place at the right time for his goal, which shows he’s got an idea of where he should be and isn’t afraid to get hurt if a chance is there. His touch to bring down and lay off a long ball, while simultaneously fighting a defender before the second goal, was excellent. If you watch him after he lays it off to Sykes he’s actually in on goal himself as he spins and points to where he wants the ball played in behind as he powers away, but Osei makes a similar run and gets ahead of him. He also drives past his man and gets a really powerful shot away from distance in the second half that the keeper can’t hold, and Sykes is inches away from bundling it in. If you watch some of his YouTube compilations from his past spells in League One he’s full of that sort of thing. He likes to get the ball to feet, turn and drive through the middle, and he’s certainly not afraid to shoot. As we saw at Shrewsbury when he nonchalantly turned around and whipped a shot into the top corner.

I know it might seem like I think he’s the best thing since sliced bread, but let me just say that I think he is flawed and very raw. He looks like he can switch off and lose concentration at times, and I’m sure that presents its own problems and can harm the team on a bad day. I would however say that to me that just sounds a bit like Marcus Browne, who can do something brilliant one game and be useless the next, and Robinson always hailed him as a maverick and a game changer. So I think there needs to be some consistency there, because it does feel like he gets a hard time compared to others, when he could actually really benefit from someone believing in him. The main reason why I’ve talked about him so much this year is because he was barely getting five minutes off the bench when a man who couldn’t run was still starting every other game right up until the start of February, and that same man keeping him out was never a striker until he turned up here unable to run enough to play on the wing anymore. That was all my point ever was; that it was wildly out of proportion and made no sense that the gap between their opportunities was so enormous. Especially when he scored as many goals as Mackie did in quite literally a small fraction of the minutes, and created several more goals from being fouled as he ran at the defence. Kelly’s free kick v Newcastle being one of the most notable instances. He was the one they hacked down for it.

He might never cut it and he might not actually turn out to be good enough, and that’s fine. But he’s also 23 years old, is our player who we paid money to sign from a Premier League club (who offered him a new deal as they wanted to keep him), and who was paraded on the pitch last August with a cry from Rosie of, “We’ve signed a striker!” I’ll never understand why he seemed to be begrudgingly allowed the odd cameo here and there while Mackie was shot to s**t and kept starting games, but that’s how it went. I am worried that he will be pushed out to the wing, hence this messaging lately that this is where he plays even though it just isn’t, and that when he struggles to make an impact as a result will be farmed out on loan, never to be heard from again. I think he gets stitched up a little bit, and I’m not really sure why. I guess we will see.

Just thought I would take this opportunity to finally put across my point in full, since I banged the drum the loudest at times in the past. I’m not saying he’s Ronaldo, and I’m not saying he’s even definitely good enough to take us forward. But I do think he’s always been better than a man who couldn’t run, and that it’s really curious that he seems to be treated a little strangely compared to others. Never seems to get praise from the manager, now they’re changing the story on where he apparently plays... very odd.

I think anyone who has seen him in his various appearances for us would now say that he can 'do a job' out wide - but he really is a central striker, and playing him elsewhere does neither him nor us any favours. I also agree that he should probably have been used instead of Mackie much of the time, but that's water under the bridge now. I hope he gets the chance to play in his best position and can show us what he can do.

Dan Agyei was playing regular League One football as a centre forward going back four years, when he was on loan at Coventry and then went to Walsall a year later. I don’t buy the “he isn’t really a centre forward” line that was coming out through the local press a few days ago. Sean Dyche was his manager at Burnley - he wanted to keep him, which is often overlooked - and he says he’s a centre forward. So he’s probably a centre forward. If he can do a job out wide and fill a secondary role that’s another matter, but that’s his natural role.

I’ve had a look at the highlights and it looks like he did okay. He threw himself at a loose ball while being in the right place at the right time for his goal, which shows he’s got an idea of where he should be and isn’t afraid to get hurt if a chance is there. His touch to bring down and lay off a long ball, while simultaneously fighting a defender before the second goal, was excellent. If you watch him after he lays it off to Sykes he’s actually in on goal himself as he spins and points to where he wants the ball played in behind as he powers away, but Osei makes a similar run and gets ahead of him. He also drives past his man and gets a really powerful shot away from distance in the second half that the keeper can’t hold, and Sykes is inches away from bundling it in. If you watch some of his YouTube compilations from his past spells in League One he’s full of that sort of thing. He likes to get the ball to feet, turn and drive through the middle, and he’s certainly not afraid to shoot. As we saw at Shrewsbury when he nonchalantly turned around and whipped a shot into the top corner.

I know it might seem like I think he’s the best thing since sliced bread, but let me just say that I think he is flawed and very raw. He looks like he can switch off and lose concentration at times, and I’m sure that presents its own problems and can harm the team on a bad day. I would however say that to me that just sounds a bit like Marcus Browne, who can do something brilliant one game and be useless the next, and Robinson always hailed him as a maverick and a game changer. So I think there needs to be some consistency there, because it does feel like he gets a hard time compared to others, when he could actually really benefit from someone believing in him. The main reason why I’ve talked about him so much this year is because he was barely getting five minutes off the bench when a man who couldn’t run was still starting every other game right up until the start of February, and that same man keeping him out was never a striker until he turned up here unable to run enough to play on the wing anymore. That was all my point ever was; that it was wildly out of proportion and made no sense that the gap between their opportunities was so enormous. Especially when he scored as many goals as Mackie did in quite literally a small fraction of the minutes, and created several more goals from being fouled as he ran at the defence. Kelly’s free kick v Newcastle being one of the most notable instances. He was the one they hacked down for it.

He might never cut it and he might not actually turn out to be good enough, and that’s fine. But he’s also 23 years old, is our player who we paid money to sign from a Premier League club (who offered him a new deal as they wanted to keep him), and who was paraded on the pitch last August with a cry from Rosie of, “We’ve signed a striker!” I’ll never understand why he seemed to be begrudgingly allowed the odd cameo here and there while Mackie was shot to s**t and kept starting games, but that’s how it went. I am worried that he will be pushed out to the wing, hence this messaging lately that this is where he plays even though it just isn’t, and that when he struggles to make an impact as a result will be farmed out on loan, never to be heard from again. I think he gets stitched up a little bit, and I’m not really sure why. I guess we will see.

Just thought I would take this opportunity to finally put across my point in full, since I banged the drum the loudest at times in the past. I’m not saying he’s Ronaldo, and I’m not saying he’s even definitely good enough to take us forward. But I do think he’s always been better than a man who couldn’t run, and that it’s really curious that he seems to be treated a little strangely compared to others. Never seems to get praise from the manager, now they’re changing the story on where he apparently plays... very odd.

Yep. I really like him and can’t quite understand the treatment he gets (both in terms of quotes and playing time).

Even coming on a sub when we’re already winning I think he has qualities despite needing to improve his nous, perhaps, as a young player.

Namely he has pace, power and a decent shot which rightly terrifies defences which will naturally need to sit back to accommodate this or else risk him getting in behind. Sometimes that’s as important in keeping the opposition from committing men forwards as having someone who holds the ball up and harries (which he also has qualities in doing too!)

Basically I think he’s exactly the type of player I wouldn’t want to face as a defender for 25 minutes after trying to keep Taylor from scoring in the previous hour. When he develops further, if allowed, I certainly wouldn’t want to face him for 90 minutes either!

Robinson has specifically said that he doesn’t see him as a striker - most recently ‘We think Dan is eventually going to be a winger’

I don’t understand this as I’m sure there were comments from Robinson before about how he will eventually play more centrally, but for now he’s learning his trade out on the wing (as does happen to young players, to be fair) so something doesn’t seem to add up.

He does seem to have all the attributes to be a striker. He also seems to be good enough to get more minutes than he has been. I think it’s almost unarguable that Robinson doesn’t seem to like, rate or trust him given the negative comments and the lack of game time. Maybe that will change this season...

Last edited:
Robinson has specifically said that he doesn’t see him as a striker - most recently ‘We think Dan is eventually going to be a winger’

I don’t understand this as I’m sure there were comments from Robinson before about how he will eventually play more centrally, but for now he’s learning his trade out on the wing (as does happen to young players, to be fair) so something doesn’t seem to add up.

He does seem to have all the attributes to be a striker. He also seems to be good enough to get more minutes than he has been. I think it’s almost unarguable that Robinson doesn’t seem to like, rate or trust him given the negative comments and the lack of game time. Maybe that will change this season...

Just watched the extended highlights, Dan Agyei gets first goal and holds the ball up well and lays it off well for the second, as well as having a couple of decent shots saved.

Robinson in his post match interview names six players who he felt played well. Agyei was not one of them...

Robinson in his post match interview names six players who he felt played well. Agyei was not one of them...
There were several times last season when it was put to him in post-match interviews that Agyei had done well after coming on, especially at Burton and Shrewsbury when he came on and scored important goals, and every single time he refused to even acknowledge the point. Just said things like “I thought all the subs did well” to move the conversation on. But he was quick to hammer him for apparently missing a “sitter” when a Newcastle defender threw his entire body in front of his shot in the cup match, for example, which not only didn’t constitute a sitter but overlooked the fact that it was his driving run towards their box that won the free kick for the first goal. He also ignored him completely and left DF to talk to him while he was waiting to come on in most games - not even an arm around the shoulder and a few final words like everyone else got. And yes, I did specifically look for it and compare it to how other subs coming on were dealt with, and it regularly went that way.

There’s an issue somewhere, as anybody who uses their eyes rather than their ears can see. Maybe it’s warranted, maybe it isn’t, but something isn’t right.

There were several times last season when it was put to him in post-match interviews that Agyei had done well after coming on, especially at Burton and Shrewsbury when he came on and scored important goals, and every single time he refused to even acknowledge the point. Just said things like “I thought all the subs did well” to move the conversation on. But he was quick to hammer him for apparently missing a “sitter” when a Newcastle defender threw his entire body in front of his shot in the cup match, for example, which not only didn’t constitute a sitter but overlooked the fact that it was his driving run towards their box that won the free kick for the first goal. He also ignored him completely and left DF to talk to him while he was waiting to come on in most games - not even an arm around the shoulder and a few final words like everyone else got. And yes, I did specifically look for it and compare it to how other subs coming on were dealt with, and it regularly went that way.

There’s an issue somewhere, as anybody who uses their eyes rather than their ears can see. Maybe it’s warranted, maybe it isn’t, but something isn’t right.
It does seem that there has been a fall out or something has gone on.
KR generally seems to be fond of the players at the club but as you suggest that doesn't seem to be the case with Agyei.
With another wide man and striker I wonder if he will be loaded out,?

Just watched the extended highlights, Dan Agyei gets first goal and holds the ball up well and lays it off well for the second, as well as having a couple of decent shots saved.

I thought Dan Agyei did well in ( what Ive seen of) last nights match

maybe Dan A wasn't one of KR's own transfer 'targets' when we signed him ?

It does seem that there has been a fall out or something has gone on.
KR generally seems to be fond of the players at the club but as you suggest that doesn't seem to be the case with Agyei.
With another wide man and striker I wonder if he will be loaded out,?

For all of there being a fallout* he keeps involving him in the squad and hasn't transferred listed him or talked about loaning him out like he did with Mark Sykes. Maybe KR sees it as the best way to manage and motivate him.

*Haven't a clue if there is or isn't, or how they get on with each other on the training ground etc.

After watching the extended highlights, it does show how much work KR and the caoching team have to do with Osei Yaw. His failure to track back was noticeable in the highlights especially with one in the 1st half when he just stopped, leaving a Chelsea player free who but for a good save by Jack Stevens would have scored.

Edit: He took his goal very well.

Last edited:
I feel like KR likes the players that can best implement his tactical suggestions. Say what you like about Mackie, he ran around and chased down defenders and did the job he was asked to do (short of putting the ball in the net)

Agyei has plenty of physical and technical attributes, I just wonder if KR wants to see him doing more for the team. But agree that there seems to be a disconnect between them. Would love to see it fixed and Agyei given a proper chance up front.

Back
Top Bottom