Away Match Day Thread +++ 4/12/2019 Exeter City V OUFC EFL trophy +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were to drop concessions from 65 to 60 South Stand revenue generation would fall by 800%.
I do tend to sit in SSL - with me Dad , Sister & Nephew ;)

IF concessions applied at 60 instead of 65 at OUFC, I could then afford to take (at least ) 2 of my grandkids to home games, instead of the occasional 1, thus increasing future regular supporters for the future

our midfield was not as influential as it has been over the past few months

Exactly the problem and it's not due to a lack of depth in that area. The injuries to Brannagan, Baptiste and Thorne, plus the need to manage Hanson's return, seriously limited KR's midfield options last night given the policy to rotate ahead of some critical fixtures.

Come to the Kassam on Saturday 5-0 Yellows you won’t be disappointed.

If we lose I will pay you your admission fee

I thought both Brannigan and Baptiste had a chance of starting on Saturday, whilst Thorne was back in training.

The unbeaten run was superb and not a terrible way to end it going out on penalties in a Tin pot competition. Let’s hope we can start another unbeaten run. COYY
10 unbeaten in the league ( I think) ...hopefully it'll be 11 come 5pm Saturday

Really poor performance.
Apart from once, I can’t recall Agyei, Hall & Mackie interlinking all night.
Wouldn’t expect to see Hall or Mackie start again and hopefully sold in January, to make way for replacements that can make a difference across the pitch.

Really poor performance.
Apart from once, I can’t recall Agyei, Hall & Mackie interlinking all night.
Wouldn’t expect to see Hall or Mackie start again and hopefully sold in January, to make way for replacements that can make a difference across the pitch.
That's a bit extreme based on one game with a relatively poor midfield?
I would be amazed if Mackie does bot start again.
No way will Mackie be sold in January.

I'm as positive as you get, but surely that can't keep the unbeaten run going? Against Portsmouth the game was recorded as a draw with the penalties being for a bonus point. Last night must be recorded as a defeat? Or did we draw against Millwall and Sunderland?!

Still 10 unbeaten in the league and our next run starts Saturday.

Wikipedia sees it the same way I do!

All penalty shootouts are draws, followed by a random skills competition to pick someone to advance (or get a bonus point - which is another unbelievably dumb innovation).

So yeah, the Sunderland and Millwall games were also draws as well. We've actually only won half our games in the League Cup this season!

And we're on a 17 game unbeaten run......

These games surely have always been recorded as draws ?
Aa somebody else said, England's World Cup penalty games have always gone down as draws.

That's a bit extreme based on one game with a relatively poor midfield?
I would be amazed if Mackie does bot start again.
No way will Mackie be sold in January.
Definitely NOT based on one game.

Definitely NOT based on one game.
Ok I disagree with you regarding Mackie this season.
Hall, Sykes and Agyei have been poor, but I suspect that Agyei will he better next season.
I would bet that Mackie will be here at the end of the season and will start games

Wikipedia sees it the same way I do!

All penalty shootouts are draws, followed by a random skills competition to pick someone to advance (or get a bonus point - which is another unbelievably dumb innovation).

So yeah, the Sunderland and Millwall games were also draws as well. We've actually only won half our games in the League Cup this season!

And we're on a 17 game unbeaten run......

I know most people (everyone?) are very tongue in cheek about this but I’m going to act like it’s serious:

It’s strange people can’t see the difference between the draw in the group stage of the Leasing.com Trophy, and the loss in the knockout stage.

The group stage had three possible results -three points for a win, one for a draw or none for a loss. When we drew with Portsmouth a draw was recorded in the league table and we were awarded one point. The penalty shootout was a ‘fun’ extra competition for a bonus point. It was a draw, there isn’t even a 0.01% possibility of it being interpreted as anything else.

In a cup competition, you have to have winners or losers so one team can go through. If a team wins the cup final on penalties do you seriously think it’s recorded as a draw? No. When it comes to the knockout stages, whether it’s in normal time, extra time, or on penalties, one team wins and one team loses. We lost. The unbeaten run is over. As is this rant.

In a cup competition, you have to have winners or losers so one team can go through. If a team wins the cup final on penalties do you seriously think it’s recorded as a draw? No. When it comes to the knockout stages, whether it’s in normal time, extra time, or on penalties, one team wins and one team loses. We lost. The unbeaten run is over. As is this rant.

Although I'm being slightly tongue-in-cheek here in some of my comments - it is still my genuine belief.

When you go out of a cup competition on penalties, you've drawn a game of football and then lost a skills competition to decide who advances.

Hence all penalty shootouts should be recorded as draws.

It's how Wikipedia does it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Oxford_United_F.C._season
It's how Ragonline does it - https://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/season/
It's how Soccerbase does it - https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1964&comp_id=3&teamTabs=results

We didn't lose a game of football last night (just as we didn't win them against Millwall or Sunderland). We did lose a skills competition and hence got knocked out of the cup.

But from my perspective, it's consecutive games of football where we don't lose that count.

Ok I disagree with you regarding Mackie this season.
Hall, Sykes and Agyei have been poor, but I suspect that Agyei will he better next season.
I would bet that Mackie will be here at the end of the season and will start games
Not talking the whole season.
Mackie has been a tonic, but in recent games his role and impact has been more anonymous.
Going forward,I don’t see him being a major ingredient in a push for the Championship and certainly not beyond.
His contract is also up at the end of this season.
Hall has improved, as his fitness and confidence returns.
We all love him and his story.
But, would he be your first choice.
If he we were able to place him permanently, just wide outside the opposition box, then great-but league one is not Subbuteo .

Not talking the whole season.
Mackie has been a tonic, but in recent games his role and impact has been more anonymous.
Going forward,I don’t see him being a major ingredient in a push for the Championship and certainly not beyond.
His contract is also up at the end of this season.
Hall has improved, as his fitness and confidence returns.
We all love him and his story.
But, would he be your first choice.
If he we were able to place him permanently, just wide outside the opposition box, then great-but league one is not Subbuteo .
Ah yes I agree that Mackie will probably go at the end of the season . I just cant see him going in January and whist Taylor is clearly first choice Mackie will play some part.
Robbie Hall has definitely improved since he came back from injury. I agree that he is still not good enough certainly to start.

Ah yes I agree that Mackie will probably go at the end of the season . I just cant see him going in January and whist Taylor is clearly first choice Mackie will play some part.
Robbie Hall has definitely improved since he came back from injury. I agree that he is still not good enough certainly to start.

I can see both gone next season unless Mackie moves to a player-coach role but not in January. The only caveat on Hall is if he keeps improving then he might have a chance of a new contract.

Again, respectfully disagree.

Significant difference; the game didn’t need a winner and didn’t get one, but the competition did.

If it isn’t a “tie”, there’s no need for a “tie-breaker”. If we’re talking ‘runs’, we can only compare like with like, and since not all of our 17 unbeaten games have the facility for extra time and pennos, we can only look at the 90 mins. If we broke the tie with “closest to the bull” or John Mousinho going up against their best in a game of slaps, I wouldn’t feel any less strongly that we hadn’t been beaten at football.

Crap performance appreciably, but I see no reason to denigrate this club and the great run we’re on. If it’s good enough for Oxford United, England (the FA), FIFA, Wikipedia....it’s good enough for me. You can argue the case with FIFA if you like!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom