Home Match Day Thread 30/01/2024 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good point last night all things considered, nothing seems to be going quite our way at the moment with 2 injuries but also need to eradicate these stupid defensive lapses. Bishop was marshalled well all night but still managed to nick a goal, Lang was running away from goal but still managed to squeeze it in - so frustrating. We managed the first half really well but I didn't think we had the legs in us to keep it up for the second, but was impressed with how strong we finished the game, credit to Des for the Henry sub, changed the game. Also thought we looked very good with GO'D and Harris on the pitch. Ref was abysmal as per, but in truth it wasn't a hard game to referee - not quite sure what Portsmouth were appealing for at the final whistle?

Cumming - 6 - Didn't really have much to do, did he? I'd like to think he keeps out their first goal.

Stevens - 6 - Not given much defensive support but did fairly well, hope his injury isn't serious but looked it.

Moore - 7 - Ignoring the two goals, solid. But that was some bad defending for their 2nd. Takes him from a 9 to 7.

Brown - 6.5 - Kept Bishop quiet for most of the night but passing was off at times

Leigh - 8 - Like Moore, would have been a 9 but for their 2nd goal, didn't put a foot wrong otherwise and that cross in the second half was unbelievable, he's an absolute monster.

Mcguane - 6.5 - Dipped in and out of the game but was impressed with him defensively, particularly covering for Smyth. Tired at the end and was fairly taken off.

Brannagan - 7 - Great work for our first goal and was a man possessed in the first half, second half he was going hammer and tong with the ref and you could tell he was wound up, a calmer head doesn't smash it out of play when we had 4v3 on the counter.

Burey - 6.5 - Was being talked through the game throughout but boy is he quick, doesn't seem like the player who will be in the game constantly but will light up on the ball, very much like Murphy in that respect.

Rodrigues - 8 - Oozes class, lacks pace but the way he manages the ball is superb, always a step ahead of everyone else. That touch to bring it down from head height (centre circle, second half) was ridiculous

Goodrham - 8.5 - Starboy. Wasn't involved in the first half bar his goal which was a great finish as per. I don't think his overall performances this season have been as good as last but his goal output is a lot better, but bloody hell that second half was a perfect mix of the two, closing down everything, aggressively running with the ball and creating chances from nothing. He's gonna fetch us a lot of money one day, but I do hope we see him play his best football here.

Harris - 8 - A nuisance throughout and some great work for the second goal, he is non stop and all action and his performances recently have been really really good. I think he starts in our strongest side, but will be good to have him at full pelt all the time, which will hopefully come when we can rotate our striking options.

Eastwood - 5.5 - I'm not too sure what happened on the first goal and felt he should have held onto it, not much chance with the second. There was a nervous energy when he came on, if Cumming is out long term I think he's the obvious weak link but hoping he can come up with the goods, been a great servant for us.

Smyth - 4 - No beating around the bush, he was poor. He has the physical stature to be an asset but I'm not quite sure what his best position is, or if he has even been played there yet.

GO'D - 7.5 - Bloody hell, that's put a cat among the pigeons, he was superb. Looked strong and quick and gave their centre backs the run around. Snatched at a couple of shots but one day, one of them flies in. We have a huge talent on our hands, I think he could add something to us this season but if we get another striker in he HAS to go out on loan, it's negligence if we don't allow him minutes on the pitch. 19 years old, wow.

Henry - 7.5 - One last ride for the goat? Set pieces were superb and he was the only player on the pitch who'd have the instincts to follow Harris' shot up. Would love if he could add something for the remainder of the season, wouldn't bet against it either.

Overall, a much brighter performance and a positive way to end and take into Saturday. Portsmouth were above average but nothing more, I think we can take some credit for that too - with a fully fit squad I don't think there is much between us at all.

Good point last night all things considered, nothing seems to be going quite our way at the moment with 2 injuries but also need to eradicate these stupid defensive lapses. Bishop was marshalled well all night but still managed to nick a goal, Lang was running away from goal but still managed to squeeze it in - so frustrating. We managed the first half really well but I didn't think we had the legs in us to keep it up for the second, but was impressed with how strong we finished the game, credit to Des for the Henry sub, changed the game. Also thought we looked very good with GO'D and Harris on the pitch. Ref was abysmal as per, but in truth it wasn't a hard game to referee - not quite sure what Portsmouth were appealing for at the final whistle?

Cumming - 6 - Didn't really have much to do, did he? I'd like to think he keeps out their first goal.

Stevens - 6 - Not given much defensive support but did fairly well, hope his injury isn't serious but looked it.

Moore - 7 - Ignoring the two goals, solid. But that was some bad defending for their 2nd. Takes him from a 9 to 7.

Brown - 6.5 - Kept Bishop quiet for most of the night but passing was off at times

Leigh - 8 - Like Moore, would have been a 9 but for their 2nd goal, didn't put a foot wrong otherwise and that cross in the second half was unbelievable, he's an absolute monster.

Mcguane - 6.5 - Dipped in and out of the game but was impressed with him defensively, particularly covering for Smyth. Tired at the end and was fairly taken off.

Brannagan - 7 - Great work for our first goal and was a man possessed in the first half, second half he was going hammer and tong with the ref and you could tell he was wound up, a calmer head doesn't smash it out of play when we had 4v3 on the counter.

Burey - 6.5 - Was being talked through the game throughout but boy is he quick, doesn't seem like the player who will be in the game constantly but will light up on the ball, very much like Murphy in that respect.

Rodrigues - 8 - Oozes class, lacks pace but the way he manages the ball is superb, always a step ahead of everyone else. That touch to bring it down from head height (centre circle, second half) was ridiculous

Goodrham - 8.5 - Starboy. Wasn't involved in the first half bar his goal which was a great finish as per. I don't think his overall performances this season have been as good as last but his goal output is a lot better, but bloody hell that second half was a perfect mix of the two, closing down everything, aggressively running with the ball and creating chances from nothing. He's gonna fetch us a lot of money one day, but I do hope we see him play his best football here.

Harris - 8 - A nuisance throughout and some great work for the second goal, he is non stop and all action and his performances recently have been really really good. I think he starts in our strongest side, but will be good to have him at full pelt all the time, which will hopefully come when we can rotate our striking options.

Eastwood - 5.5 - I'm not too sure what happened on the first goal and felt he should have held onto it, not much chance with the second. There was a nervous energy when he came on, if Cumming is out long term I think he's the obvious weak link but hoping he can come up with the goods, been a great servant for us.

Smyth - 4 - No beating around the bush, he was poor. He has the physical stature to be an asset but I'm not quite sure what his best position is, or if he has even been played there yet.

GO'D - 7.5 - Bloody hell, that's put a cat among the pigeons, he was superb. Looked strong and quick and gave their centre backs the run around. Snatched at a couple of shots but one day, one of them flies in. We have a huge talent on our hands, I think he could add something to us this season but if we get another striker in he HAS to go out on loan, it's negligence if we don't allow him minutes on the pitch. 19 years old, wow.

Henry - 7.5 - One last ride for the goat? Set pieces were superb and he was the only player on the pitch who'd have the instincts to follow Harris' shot up. Would love if he could add something for the remainder of the season, wouldn't bet against it either.

Overall, a much brighter performance and a positive way to end and take into Saturday. Portsmouth were above average but nothing more, I think we can take some credit for that too - with a fully fit squad I don't think there is much between us at all.
I agree that O'Donkor got amongst them but I'm growing increasingly unsure he can offer a scoring threat - can you ever remember him making a clean, firm strike of the ball and actually working the keeper? It doesn't happen. much as we want it to.

There were some after the Derby game who were saying that Henry should never be seen in an Oxford shirt again and I remember one saying that he was basically a fraud for still taking a wage.

But playing as a lone player at the top of the pitch, for 45 minutes when the entire team is fucked and against a strong Derby side, was never going to be his game. It wasn't his game several years ago let alone now.

But 15 minute cameos are exactly where we should be seeing him and he absolutely still has a role to play between now and the end of April. He gives a calmness to our forward play rather than it being hopeful long balls or shots from 30 yards. His set plays are so much better, and they allow Cam to sit on the edge of the box to pick up second balls. And he spots things that others simply can't see. There have been loads of examples this season where the keeper has spilled the ball but there's been no one backing up.

Is he good enough, and fit enough, to play a full 90 minutes for a team with promotion aspirations? No. But can he still make a difference? Yes, and that's why we have squads and can use several substitutions.

Very positive to see such togetherness from the lads last night, they didn’t let their heads drop when Pompey took the lead, they pulled together and got a result. Well done lads 👏

Special mention for James Henry. Superb cameo, that changed the game, his intelligence and class enabled us to have a genuine chance for an equaliser, and he showed his experience by following up Harris’s shot to nod home.

On that showing, Jamo’s clearly not done yet, and I fancy him to be a very useful cameo man for the rest of the season. Well done Jamo 👏

Bring on Reading!

Just wanted to quickly say after last week against Barnsley that our throw ins were a million times better than Barnsley or even Bristol Rovers. Didn’t see the whole 90 yesterday but I think I only saw one or two throws that went backwards and were recycled to the centre backs. The rest were straight up the line or to feet and back to the thrower. It contributed to a monumental difference in chances created and winning more set pieces further up the pitch.

Well done the coaching staff and the players. Long may it continue!

Might just be me, but I felt Pompey had a boost in their play when Easty came on.

Enjoyed last night. Not read this thread, but a few of my thoughts. To use the cliche, I went in with more hope than expectation. A fair result I thought we had the better chances. Certainly matched them. Some positives like GOD, Henry, and Burey. Leigh/Brown looks solid on the left, They could have done better on 2nd goal.

Pompey support great, and we stuck with the team to the end. I am nearly 70 and many men and women of my age around me is ssl joined in with '2-1 and you f**cked it up' chant. delicious Karma.
If rumours of Blackpool winger incoming prove correct, a name with no rumours at all, maybe the striker will be another name not mentioned by anyone on here or facebook.
Looking forward to Saturday

Moore MOM, what match were they watching, had to be Goodrham or Harris who were outstanding

I was there and it's the first time I have mentioned how poor our support is at home.
It wasn't specifically a criticism of you but these pages are becoming increasingly populated by people digging at other fans. And for what it's worth, I thought the atmosphere improved throughout the evening as the team gave us something to get behind.

It never got going at Bristol as there was little to cheer and in a ground that doesn't have the best vantage point for standing fans, but I wouldn't criticise fans who've made the journey and paid the extortionate ticket price.

There were some after the Derby game who were saying that Henry should never be seen in an Oxford shirt again and I remember one saying that he was basically a fraud for still taking a wage.
I was one of those that thought he was past it, and to be honest, he probably is at this level as of this summer, so I don't think you can blame folk for thinking that, but he had the bit between his teeth last night and his performance showed it, his deadball impact was immediate (very nearly scoring), he worked his socks off and got a goal most others won't have followed up the intial shot for. Hopefully he adds a few more cameos like that to his belt before we all wish him well in the summer.

He's been a fantastic player for us over the years and I think most will remember him fondly, he's by no means a fraud

I was one of those that thought he was past it, and to be honest, he probably is at this level as of this summer, so I don't think you can blame folk for thinking that, but he had the bit between his teeth last night and his performance showed it, his deadball impact was immediate (very nearly scoring), he worked his socks off and got a goal most others won't have followed up the intial shot for. Hopefully he adds a few more cameos like that to his belt before we all wish him well in the summer.

He's been a fantastic player for us over the years and I think most will remember him fondly, he's by no means a fraud
I've already officially taken back my sarcasm laden 'James Henry, well, that's going to help' comment as I saw him getting ready. Good on him!

I think his confidence is absolutely shot as a striker. He really needs a loan to find his feet again.

Agreed as the rest of his game was good yesterday.

The first chance was well blocked by the defender and it looked like he caught it well. Sadly I think he tried to leather the 2nd one in but only ending up screwing it up.

He needs the 'deflection off his backside' type goal wherever he is

Randoms;

Tyler G is worth a lot of money. Once he gets within shooting range he usually scores. Golddust player.

Tyler B frightening pace, ,unique running style , entertaining, defensive duties er not something he’s keen on.

O’Donkor. All we are saying is give us a goal, He looks a unit and he will come good.. But agree with the general sentiment , it’s now loan time.

Eastwood, a disastrous performance. Coventry game seems to have finished him off.

Pompey, how ponderous were they at the back! Play offs for them, they did have some notable performers though, ie Lane and particularly Bishop. High quality operator.

If we get Owen Dale in, well pleased , always impressed against us . Clever and a bit spiky with it.

Smyth, he’s a baller, but he’s not a right back. Find a place for him in the middle of the pitch.

Crowd, good, at last some life.Pompey do tend to get us going, dislikeable bunch of supporters.

Well done Des, lads showed some balls tonight.

Whatever one's views on Eastwood being our no 1 keeper (most would be concerned ), I am not sure how you can describe his performance as disastrous yesterday. Could he have done better for the first? Maybe. It was a goal line scramble, bodies everywhere so not clear cut. Second goal, not his fault. Other than that, good handling, good punch and not bad kicking.

Whatever one's views on Eastwood being our no 1 keeper (most would be concerned ), I am not sure how you can describe his performance as disastrous yesterday. Could he have done better for the first? Maybe. It was a goal line scramble, bodies everywhere so not clear cut. Second goal, not his fault. Other than that, good handling, good punch and not bad kicking.

To be fair, I think their keeper let in 2 soft goals.

Back
Top Bottom