Away Match Day Thread 02/03/2024 L1: Portsmouth v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GHwR1hdXsAAEFdw

GHwR1hcWcAEx6Rd

It is utterly delusional to suggest we will win at least 6 of our last 10 games.

We’ve won 5 in 20 under Des in L1.

We’re averaging 1.1 points a game on average.

I get you can be optimistic but there’s been nothing in a few months to suggest we’re about to go on a big winning run.

Spot on.

Where are people getting the idea that we can win 6 in 10 when we averaging 1 win in 4. I just cannot see where we are getting these wins under Des. Stranger things have happened I suppose but what anyone has seen to suggest we can suddenly string together a better win rate than 1 in 2 is beyond me.

I can’t see us winning six in ten, however, despite my pessimism losing the last two games we now have no injuries. Goodwin is available, Cumming is playing more consistently. We were also missing Goodrham who I think is one of best performing players of late. Hopefully the Burey situation is resolved soon too.
I could see us going on a decent run. Four wins would put us right in the thick of the action.
It’s a big ask but we could do it

It’s the same people who had Northampton and Orient at home as β€œ4 points minimum” then when we yielded *checks notes* 1 point are now sure we can beat this group.

With KemDes in charge, any predictions of bringing home the points are optimistic at best.
I think you've expected a defeat in every game this season so I wouldn't get too excited about your predictions either.

Remarkable chutzpah from someone who was saying this, just 13 months ago...
It’s a funny old thing hindsight - perhaps you want to take a look back at your comments regarding Murphy in August?

I’m not saying he’s anywhere near paying back the value of his contract, or deserving of a new one, but for someone you’d completely written off in every way possible, he’s made a decent contribution in recent weeks.

I can’t see us winning six in ten, however, despite my pessimism losing the last two games we now have no injuries. Goodwin is available, Cumming is playing more consistently. We were also missing Goodrham who I think is one of best performing players of late. Hopefully the Burey situation is resolved soon too.
I could see us going on a decent run. Four wins would put us right in the thick of the action.
It’s a big ask but we could do it
Ahem, regarding Cumming, I’m assuming you saw the first goal yesterday?

Spot on.

Where are people getting the idea that we can win 6 in 10 when we averaging 1 win in 4. I just cannot see where we are getting these wins under Des. Stranger things have happened I suppose but what anyone has seen to suggest we can suddenly string together a better win rate than 1 in 2 is beyond me.
I know you are now trolling Baldy but as @Scotchegg has said,

Cheltenham
Vale
Lincoln
Shrewsbury
Fleetwood
Burton

On a side note, sorry for your loss to Man City today. When are the Qataris coming to town?

All this talk of winning this many games and getting that many points to get into the play-offs is so stressful.

I’m approaching the last 10 games with the same attitude as this guy:

IMG_4888.jpeg

Spot on.

In fairness - since his opening game at Cheltenham - Buckingham hasn't actually lost to a bottom half side (5 wins, 3 draws) - and we've still got 6 of the poorest 9 sides (in terms of points won) yet to play.

We're starting to see a chasm developing in this division, and regardless of what you think of Buckingham, this side should be able to get 4 or 5 wins against the sides that sit the wrong side of it.

However, finishing in the Top 6 is more likely to hinge on us doing something (possibly twice, or even thrice) that we haven't yet done in 11 attempts under Buckingham - winning against a top half side.

Which is why there are three big home games that are starting to feel pivotal already - Peterborough, Stevenage and Lincoln. Win two (or three) of these - and with the likely wins against the dross - the required points tally is very much achievable.

Yes, our form has been poor - but we have been competitive most weeks. Whilst it's been well below the required standard, I don't think it takes a radical transformation to turn this side into one that plays with the intensity to win half a dozen more games this season, all things considered.

I know you are now trolling Baldy but as @Scotchegg has said,

Cheltenham
Vale
Lincoln
Shrewsbury
Fleetwood
Burton

On a side note, sorry for your loss to Man City today. When are the Qataris coming to town?

And how about this list ….
Northampton (a)
Northampton (h)
Reading (a)
Reading (h)
Cheltenham (a)
Bristol Rovers (a)
Orient (h)
Wycombe (a)
We are nowhere near good enough to just assume we will win what look very winnable fixtures - on both lists. Difference is my list has already happened, it’s fact. No trolling, I’m stating facts.

In fairness - since his opening game at Cheltenham - Buckingham hasn't actually lost to a bottom half side (5 wins, 3 draws) - and we've still got 6 of the poorest 9 sides (in terms of points won) yet to play.

We're starting to see a chasm developing in this division, and regardless of what you think of Buckingham, this side should be able to get 4 or 5 wins against the sides that sit the wrong side of it.

However, finishing in the Top 6 is more likely to hinge on us doing something (possibly twice, or even thrice) that we haven't yet done in 11 attempts under Buckingham - winning against a top half side.

Which is why there are three big home games that are starting to feel pivotal already - Peterborough, Stevenage and Lincoln. Win two (or three) of these - and with the likely wins against the dross - the required points tally is very much achievable.

Yes, our form has been poor - but we have been competitive most weeks. Whilst it's been well below the required standard, I don't think it takes a radical transformation to turn this side into one that plays with the intensity to win half a dozen more games this season, all things considered.
Excellent post, you're even making me feel less pragmatic and a lot more optimistic.

If only football was played on paper and not grass.

Northampton (a)
Northampton (h)
Reading (a)
Reading (h)
Cheltenham (a)
Bristol Rovers (a)
Orient (h)
Wycombe (a)
We are nowhere near good enough to just assume we will win what look very winnable fixtures - on both lists. Difference is my list has already happened, it’s fact. No trolling, I’m stating facts.
Yes and there are games we should have won/drawn. The thing is, teams can improve and after yesterdays performance I think we might start seeing a different side from this team.

It’s called being glass half full.

Yes and there are games we should have won/drawn. The thing is, teams can improve and after yesterdays performance I think we might start seeing a different side from this team.

It’s called being glass half full.

Yes, I get that. I just can’t be convinced by ONE game given the absolute dross Des has served to date. I’m working on the law of averages and the law of averages suggests Des is a million miles away from getting a tune out of this team, never mind a meaningful result.

Northampton (a)
Northampton (h)
Reading (a)
Reading (h)
Cheltenham (a)
Bristol Rovers (a)
Orient (h)
Wycombe (a)

With the exception of Cheltenham, all of those are midtable teams in League One this season.
(without points deductions, Reading would now be 14th)

Whereas half of our remaining games are against the bottom third. Des' record against the bottom third is actually P5 W4 D0 L1.

Which is not to say that all of those results you list or performances were acceptable, nor that I think that we'll win another half a dozen games this season.

But it is fair to point out that beating the dross is the one thing that Des has managed to do since he took over........

Back
Top Bottom