Home Match Day Thread 30/01/2024 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ll be there tonight with my son. My heart says 1:1 but my head is saying 0:2 Pompey.

I hope I’m wrong but at the moment I’m seeing a team with little direction and little fight.

I‘d take 2-0 Pompey. I think Des - if he’s being honest - would too. 2-0 maintains a level of respectability, if we get thumped (and I think we will) then I think the fans will turn for the first time. Patience is already getting tested and another aimless, insipid, dispirited performance might be one too many for the vast majority.

Home win 2-1 , late winner to silence the pompey chimes ( and their bookselling bellend with a bell)

Travelling up tonight more in hope than expectation. Take hope away and we ain't left with a lot. Pompey are beatable but whether we can is another matter. what are the odds Pompey score in the 45th min and 89th min. Ones bound to be a penalty. Can we score 3? i doubt it. So by that reckoning we lose either 2:0 or 2:1 :cry:. But i have hope so 2:2

Can’t be at all optimistic about this. Performances are getting worse, and the crowd seems to be getting more and more subdued.

Fantastic travelling support to be celebrating a 2-0 win as we drift away into the night.

I‘d take 2-0 Pompey. I think Des - if he’s being honest - would too. 2-0 maintains a level of respectability, if we get thumped (and I think we will) then I think the fans will turn for the first time. Patience is already getting tested and another aimless, insipid, dispirited performance might be one too many for the vast majority.

I simply don't get this mentality.

We can be frustrated with our recent performances and results, and we can have little hope for this to change. But that should never mean that we accept defeat before a ball is kicked, especially at home against a team who has only picked up one more point than us in the last 6 games.

We had a thread about the mentality of the players, but some of our fans are so much worse.

If we lose tonight which I think we will then so be it BUT I want to see some passion some fire in the boys in yellow bellies we need to attack let's not pass the ball for the sake of it pass it with purpose hit these Pompey bastards and hit em hard it's time to go to war 🤕🩹😀💛💙

Most of all I want to see some identity because whatever Des is doing us fans don't know and to be honest I don't think the payers do either

Important 5 days in terms of next two matches and the transfer window!

Here’s hoping for 2 wins and 3 decent players in!!

Things could look so much better in this period or a lot worse 🤞

No way would Des 'take' 0 2.
I have seen some daft things said on here bit....

I simply don't get this mentality.

We can be frustrated with our recent performances and results, and we can have little hope for this to change. But that should never mean that we accept defeat before a ball is kicked, especially at home against a team who has only picked up one more point than us in the last 6 games.

We had a thread about the mentality of the players, but some of our fans are so much worse.

Really ?

I don’t want to witness yet another lesson from a top six side under Des - and he won’t either. I feel a bit for the bloke because I genuinely think he’s taken on more than he’s capable of handling and no one wants to see a forlorn, youngish manager standing there taking a hammering. Get away with a narrowish defeat tonight, try and use the remainder of the season to give ourselves an identity and see some sort of pattern emerging under Des, bed in the likes of Goodwin and look to have a real go next season.

As for Pompey’s last six games and ours, what about the previous 20 ? Why just six ? Because it fits a convenient argument !

Would a 2-0 be accepted by the fans as ok? Can't see why Buckingham would accept that as he will still be getting stick if that happens. No reason we can't be competitive in this game and get something out of it, our form has been patchy and we haven't been playing well, but we are not at the bottom on a really long losing run. Portsmouth have been good this season but have recently stumbled themselves and haven't been blowing teams away, not certain why a team who haven't been hammering teams at the bottom of the table are suddenly going to come here and smash us 4-0?

Fancy us to step up a bit tonight but for it to end up a draw myself.

No way would Des 'take' 0 2.
I have seen some daft things said on here bit....

Of course he’d never say that but inside he will know we are miles off and I genuinely think he’d be content to avoid an embarrassment.

• Haha
Reactions: MJB
Really ?

I don’t want to witness yet another lesson from a top six side under Des - and he won’t either. I feel a bit for the bloke because I genuinely think he’s taken on more than he’s capable of handling and no one wants to see a forlorn, youngish manager standing there taking a hammering. Get away with a narrowish defeat tonight, try and use the remainder of the season to give ourselves an identity and see some sort of pattern emerging under Des, bed in the likes of Goodwin and look to have a real go next season.

As for Pompey’s last six games and ours, what about the previous 20 ? Why just six ? Because it fits a convenient argument !

Because that's the accepted recent form guide? If you are going to twenty games might as well go the whole season, in which case they have been better than us but not by this hammering you seem to think is inevitable.

Just can't see where the performance and goals will come from. Happy if we get 0 out of this - so best case scenario 0-0. Worst case, realistic, scenario is a thumping defeat unless Mous does us a favour and puts out the U16s.

I think this is going to be a 1-1, with a narrow win on Saturday. Not going to help our cause much, but will hopefully give Goodwin a chance to provide some goal power next week

Back
Top Bottom