Home Match Day Thread 30/01/2024 L1: OUFC v Portsmouth

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
f*****g bickering on here started already. This isn't a dick swinging contest, get off the sherbets people, it's only 11am.

giphy.gif

Like others I'm hoping we switch back to a 4 man defence tonight, I'm lucky (or unlucky) enough to analyse a lot of EFL football and Portsmouth enjoy a lot of possession with their full backs very high and wide, but they individually aren't the quickest. They also play a 4-2-3-1 with the number 10 having a free role (usually Robertson, but it'll probably be Peart-Harris tonight) and being the key link between attack and defence. Typically they'd have one of their centre mids dropping to pick the ball up from central defence with the positions of the full backs meaning their wingers invert to flood the middle of the pitch, I think this is where the game will be won - if we can be safe in possession and progress between the lines with pace I think we could get a lot of joy. With this in mind my team would look like;

Cumming

Stevens
Moore
Brown
Leigh

Mceachran

Brannagan
Mcguane

Harris
Rodrigues
Burey

RR as the 'false 9' with Burey and Harris providing pace on the wings (both can invert), JMc is our best bet of recycling possession and I think Cam and MM can match them physically (Portsmouth centre mids are no taller than 5'9). Stevens and Leigh can pin their full backs halfway - the main concern I'd have is if Bishop was to drop into the space between the lines, if he stuck with Moore + Brown i'd fancy them to win most battles.

You can tell I've overthought this one, right....?

I think it'll be a draw - 1-1 with Harris on the scoresheet

The bags under his eyes indicate sleepless nights to me. He might not be the best manager but I hope he's ok. I'd love a really experienced assistant to come in.

What do you expect?

Heโ€™s Head Coach, Director of Football and Chief Communications Officer all rolled in to one.

Add to that he wasnโ€™t and hasnโ€™t been given the support from above he undoubtedly should have, in particular to the assistant manager position.

The vibe around the game is definitely an odd one. It's the 'what could have been' with this one for me. 2/3 months ago this was a litmus test game, top of the table clash, to really test our Autos credentials.

Now it's hopeful to want a draw. We're not that far off it, points wise, but we are that far off it performance and personnel wise.

It would be typical Oxford to win tonight, then lose on Saturday.

I wouldnโ€™t say that would be typical at all. Beating most of the lower ranked sides is what we did under KR season after season. Beating anyone in the top six because our undoing.

What do you expect?

Heโ€™s Head Coach, Director of Football and Chief Communications Officer all rolled in to one.

Add to that he wasnโ€™t and hasnโ€™t been given the support from above he undoubtedly should have, in particular to the assistant manager position.

Another spectre of KR perhaps? He loved being all manner of things but ultimately canโ€™t be the way for everyone. If DB wants additional support around him, he should be demanding it.

The poor bloke doesnโ€™t look well. โ€˜Dishy Desโ€™ to โ€˜Iffy Desโ€™.

A bit of positivity from me.

Weโ€™ll win tonight, albeit a scrappy affair. 2-1 Harris , Brannigan.

Buoyed by new signings tomorrow ,this is followed up with a comfortable home win at the weekend against Reading.

And my opinion is that it is one of the daftest comments I have seen on here for a long time.
I'm not expecting any points tonight, given the current state of the squad, but still hoping for reinforcements by the end of the month. Des is currently operating with one arm tied behind his back so believe he shouldn't be judged yet:

Oxford United 0 - Portsmouth 2.

Automatics to outside the play offs in two and a half months - perfectly fair and reasonable to form an opinion based on that fall from grace.

The vibe around the game is definitely an odd one. It's the 'what could have been' with this one for me. 2/3 months ago this was a litmus test game, top of the table clash, to really test our Autos credentials.

Now it's hopeful to want a draw. We're not that far off it, points wise, but we are that far off it performance and personnel wise.
That definitely contributes to the mood at the minute.

I (maybe) like many others expected this game took place to be a tight game and an important battle between two of the top 2/3 - one to look forward to.

Within a month or so that's become a game I'm dreading with expectations of a loss, with us not even in the playoffs.

Iโ€˜d take 2-0 Pompey. I think Des - if heโ€™s being honest - would too. 2-0 maintains a level of respectability, if we get thumped (and I think we will) then I think the fans will turn for the first time. Patience is already getting tested and another aimless, insipid, dispirited performance might be one too many for the vast majority.

You've already turned. Not a fan yourself then?

I've heard it from one or two who encountered Des a few years back that he's a great coach but not so comfortable away from the training ground. Makes you wonder if we should have appointed a more street wise L1 manager and drafted in Des as the assistant manager with a view to the top job further down the line. He looks under intense pressure (no one wants to see that) and it would be healthy to have a new voice and a properly appointed and recruited number two to help him. Looking at Des, I'm unconvinced by Hackett or Shorts input or their ability to be the sounding board that can offer a productive difference of opinion to that of the manager. I certainly don't feel that same level of trust in Hackett (or Short) as I did with Hogg as Manning's sidekick - there was constant in game communication between those two and they looked a pairing, who knows it might have been something as incidental as that vibrant blue kit they both wore but something just looked right and you felt confident. I'm not see anything that says Des has a trusted lieutenant.

I may have done on something as meaningless as this forum but he'd still get my full support in person - any manager would while trying to get a result for Oxford. I backed Robinson right to the last game, others wanted him to lose. Does that make me more or less of a fan ?

I think he's right tbh. I think a loss today could be nullified by a good win at the weekend, but either way the mood gets even more rotten especially if we have a poor performance.

Back
Top Bottom