Away Match Day Thread 29/03/24 - L1: Shrewsbury v OUFC

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oxford fans moaning about being around the playoffs, oh boy!! starting to sound like we're entitled fan's now.
Maybe get of your phones & sing & give the team some encouragement on Monday. I doubt it though, mind you I've got a feeling there's a lot of arm chair supporters on the Yellows forum.
Maybe that's why there's meltdown .

Ok but this is the thread for moaning about Des & the team.
Ummmm I think it's about Oxford United v Shrewsbury thread, being turned into a we hate Des campaign,. Started by certain individuals weeks & weeks ago.
What would over half the people know on here anyway. Expert's not !!!!!!!
They probably didn't even play left back behind the goal. Or they managed a kids team for a few years cause their son was in the team.

Ummmm I think it's about Oxford United v Shrewsbury thread, being turned into a we hate Des campaign,. Started by certain individuals weeks & weeks ago.
What would over half the people know on here anyway. Expert's not !!!!!!!
They probably didn't even play left back behind the goal. Or they managed a kids team for a few years cause their son was in the team.
Not sure this helps Des

neither did Des 😂
He did however get professionally trained as a coach at a league club, Oxford & Stoke. Also at international level . So he's a dam sight more qualified than , I stood on the left side London Road manager...

He did however get professionally trained as a coach at a league club, Oxford & Stoke. Also at international level . So he's a dam sight more qualified than , I stood on the left side London Road manager...
and what financial training did you have to comment on the debt?

and what financial training did you have to comment on the debt?
I don't need financial training, it's in black & white. It don't take a mathematical genius to know it's not good . No debt is good .
Strange question?????

I don't need financial training, it's in black & white. It don't take a mathematical genius to know it's not good . No debt is good .
Strange question?????
I dont need football training, it’s in black & white. It doesn’t take a footballing genius to know it’s not good. Three points is good.

Oh it was actually a point about the discussion we were already having, I get it now.

I dont need football training, it’s in black & white. It doesn’t take a footballing genius to know it’s not good. Three points is good.

Oh it was actually a point about the discussion we were already having, I get it now.
Nice try at twisting & reverse psychology, don't work on me.

Normally I would be livid about our result's lately, but sorry Des, Manning, Robinson, Tom ,Dick & Harry means nothing to me at the moment.
I've been supporting Oxford United a very long time & I'll tell you what is very concerning,way above a manager.
We're not getting relegated so don't worry about that.
Anyone in there right mind would worry about rising debt, year in year out ,only to get worse. A stadium that looks like it's getting less likely by the day. A former chairman that's totally taking the P**s, even if we do get the stadium it still don't guarantee anything ,as we've seen before.
So for me it's stadium & debt , before moaning about Des & the team .
We all have that concern. But one way of potentially mitigating the financial challenges ahead might be to progress up the divisions. Ipswich are on the brink of the premier league in two seasons while we spin around in circles going absolutely nowhere. So while it’s a freak, it shows it can be done in this era with good people who know what they’re doing and committed to a plan. We can’t complain about their spending.

We can’t lace their boots as a football club right now from the top down but keeping it more to the team, we don’t seem to be furthering ourselves. This is why the likes of me continue to bang the Manning drum because you could very clearly see we were on to something. In the absence of the finished product you want progress and yesterday’s performance was the result of 2 solid weeks training. Show me something that suggests the direction of travel under Des Buckingham is a good one and he’s worth backing with more funding in the summer. What ideas of his should we be investing in? Has he earned it or is it just good will that gets him that chance?

Not saying all our problems disappear by winning a few games but making a habit of it and jumping up a division would sure help the cause. Sinking deeper and deeper in to L1 mediocrity will not.

What a frustrating but completely typical performance.

The team seem so soft and almost at times seem to just go through the motions. For so long now we’ve said we’ve not had that edge, it’s that hard nosed mental / ‘don’t mess with us edge’ that we’re missing. Oh for a team with characters like Hylton, Skarz, McDonald, Mullins etc. There is such an obvious lack of know how and leadership in our team. Cam Bran may have that edge to his game but I’m not convinced the others do.

In the last minute Dunkley made an interception in his own box, you could see what it meant to him and his defenders. He chest pumped, you could see that he wanted it. I’m not saying Dunks is what we need from a playing perspective but attitude wise he completely is.

The analysts might look at the game and just report back that it was a case of missed chances / sloppy at key times but there is more to it than that. It’s a culture thing, we’re as soft as anything. No doubt we’ll get the usual lines in player interviews about being disappointed, that the game was there for the taking etc but it’s actions we need to see.

Against the better sides we need to be hard to beat, don’t go to teams like Bolton and be as open as we were. String 5 across the midfield, and give them nothing easy. Against the lesser teams keep your foot on their throats when you are on top.

I’ve been more supportive of Des than most, or more positive about him within my Ox mates group, but he really has got to step up. He may have started to do that with the dropping of MM, but he’ll have completely failed if we do not make the playoffs. In a bizarre way we might not be good enough to make the playoffs but he inherited such a head start with that goal in mind that he will have failed if we don’t make the top 6. I actually think he was doing a better job over Xmas / New Year when due to numbers it was backs against the wall. It almost seems like he’s struggled when we have got close to having a full squad available.

If we miss the playoffs by a few points then I think it’s a big shout to keep him. He won’t have done enough in my mind to be trusted with a rebuild. I also don’t think he’ll be expensive to pay off, for a start he hasn’t bought in a big support team (number 2 etc) that will need paying off. If it got to that stage then surely he’ll just get his salary until he gets a new job, and I can’t see him wanting to be out for too long. Of course if he goes then the compensation we paid will be hard to swallow, but what was that amount - the equivalent of an average League 1 signing? That might not be huge in the scheme of things.

The poor January window is starting to come into focus now as well; perhaps had there been an experienced Director of Football in place the outcome would have been different. For every Dale there is a Burey, no issues with that as it happens. I’m not sure about Cummings either but it’s the Goodwin signing that seems the strangest. He may come good but we were desperate for a centre forward for this season, we needed an alternative to Harris who could play 90 mins January. We’re now almost in April and we’re experimenting with players up top when we take Harris off.

The bizarre thing is that on paper we still have a decent chance to make the play offs.

It’s incredibly frustrating, I just get the impression that the whole club is going through the motions and none of the leadership team (inc Des) seem to be learning when things go wrong.

The equaliser - terrible defending and it should have been saved.

The first 20 seconds of that are incredible.

- Shrewsbury player picks it up on the left, strides forward (no real pace), with the time and space to constantly look up, brings it inside to the edge of the area, and crosses - without a yellow shirt in the frame.

- Ball comes back out, another Shrewsbury player has time to control, look up, have another touch, deliver another cross - once again without a yellow shirt in the frame (let alone attempting to tackle/block).

Anyone watching that could reasonably conclude that we were, at that time, playing with 9 men - and most certainly without a Right Back.

Woeful.

Sir AndyofCrosby you are 100 per cent on the money.

The goal was a disaster in so many ways.

Their left back Benning is somehow allowed to run , deliver a poor cross unopposed, Moore returns the ball straight back to him, no sign of Long and then Brown heads Benning’s second cross to the centre of the goal. Pathetic effort by Bodin to win the second ball and a low volley from Price bounces several times before beating Cumming who looks slow to get down. The shot wasn’t arrowed into the bottom corner with pace. Cumming may have seen it late but there has to be more of an effort to get a block in.

A horror show. Bodin then has a great chance to make amends but Marosi keeps out his left footed attempt after being played through.

Two huge points dropped.

Last edited:
Doesn't look any more positive the day after. Far too many players seriously underperforming week after week, so many poor goals given away and sooo many points thrown away or dropped.

We seem to have a manager who seems unable to inspire the team and who's interviews are becoming almost Manning-esque in their boredom and predictability, and a fan base constantly arguing amongst themselves on here and sniping at each other. All the positivity this season could have thrown up seems to be disappearing every week we get closer to the end and a real chance has been missed to achieve something this season.

Yes I was fully behind Des when he came in, but I'm afraid his lack of this league knowledge, lack of organisational skills, inability to inspire his players and his insistence on rolling out the same old excuses and reasons for our poor play is turning many against him. If/when he loses the fan base completely then the end for him will not be far off. Very disappointed.

The problem with our midfield?

We don't really have a midfield!

Brannagan is it, because both RR and BB are some hybrid No 10 type player who aren't quite forwards and aren't quite midfielders. They are there specifically to try and augment a badly out of form line striker who has proven (yet again) that he simply can't get into the right areas to provide any kind of tangible threat. I love what both Dale and Murphy offer out wide (although Dales final ball/decision making was a bit off yesterday, probably made worse by what MH failed to offer him), and they both do fairly well to get back and help out in defence most of the time.
However, it's in the middle where we are severely lacking and it looks for large parts that Brannagan is carrying that burden all on his own and his game (and ours) is suffering as a result). You'd think the obvious answer is the thoroughbred that is Marcus McGuane, but like all thoroughbreds, he's flighty and temperamental and has seemingly decided he just doesn't fancy it, despite the best efforts of his trainers. Such a waste of potential!
So what are the alternatives to give Brannagan the had he needs with the midfield heavy lifting?

McEachran? Based on virtually every time I've seen him, it's a resounding no from me as he seems to manage to make an already pedestrian and ponderous team even more pedestrian and ponderous. Great vision and technical ability, just plays every game like it's some seniors masters tournament....not enough bite, urgency or physicality.

Smyth? Possibly, but really not seen enough of him in that position and only ever gets the chance there when nobody else is available and/or our backs are already against the wall. Is he even fully fit?

Matete should've been the answer, but his signing was nothing short of disastrous. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he gets back to the player he once was.

Finally, how many of our squad would you genuinely think could hold their own in the Championship as anything other than bench fodder?

I reckon 1 or 2 tops and possibly a couple more as bench warmers. Other than that we're still a bang average League 1 squad with plenty of deficiencies and holes.

Last edited:
Cambridge were top in September.....now look at them.

No they weren't.

In August they won 3 and lost 2
In August we won 4 and lost 1

In September they won 1 , drew 2 and lost 1
In September we won 3 and lost 1

They may have been top after the first 2 games of the season.

No they weren't.

In August they won 3 and lost 2
In August we won 4 and lost 1

In September they won 1 , drew 2 and lost 1
In September we won 3 and lost 1

They may have been top after the first 2 games of the season.
They were joint top after 1st game....

Back
Top Bottom