Home Match Day Thread +++ 29/02/20 OUFC V Southend Utd +++

iFollow audio stream continued at half time. Next time try quitting the video stream and try just the audio one during half time.
Thanks, BTF, though I actually tried that, and still got no audio. Still, I'll settle for no audio at half time so long as we end up winning the game (it's a fair trade).

Honestly considered leaving at half time as it was so cold. Underestimated the layers needed.

An abysmal game, down to conditions and to most of our team being physically shattered thanks to the February fixture overload. Southend were very energetic and you have to ask why their league record is so terrible; looks like they are introducing some good young players.

Forde didn’t look fully fit and I don’t share the Marcus Browne love in 100% . The guy has loads of natural ability and power but is so greedy. More to the point he needs to be played centrally.

Have to credit the team for digging out 3 points though; Taylor’s finish quite sublime and Agyeii did very well off the bench.

Man of the match Dickie, another imperious performance.

Ref shite, kept on getting decisions wrong.

Funny thing is Radox reckoned that Browne did nothing during the game. Bit like John Aldridge.Occasionally he would just pop up with a winner in the last minute.
Matty Taylor is a revelation. We just have to sign him permanently. Wonderfully gifted player and a great finisher.His turn for the second goal was of the highest standard.
There must be money available after losing Baptiste and Fosu

Funny thing is Radox reckoned that Browne did nothing during the game. Bit like John Aldridge.Occasionally he would just pop up with a winner in the last minute.
Matty Taylor is a revelation. We just have to sign him permanently. Wonderfully gifted player and a great finisher.His turn for the second goal was of the highest standard.
There must be money available after losing Baptiste and Fosu
I’m sure there’s money to make him a good offer but if say Charlton come in and offer double what any of our guys get we couldn’t compete. Luckily he’s maybe a bit old now for a big contract in the championship

Good - Taylor, Henry, Browne, Dickie
Average - Ruffs, Moore, Easty
Poor - Bran, Forde, Sykes, Gorrin

Weather - Guff

Game - Awful

Opponents - not awful

Result - Perfection
And Eastwood MOTM

• React
Reactions: MJB
We looked tired today which isn't a surprise really. It showed as the team lacked that something extra that they normally have. So on that basis it was an excellent result. I hope the players enjoy their time off and come back refreshed.

The wind had a far more noticeable impact on the game, far more than other games when it has been windy.

People are rightly praising Matty Taylor but Easty deserves the plaudits just as much. He kept us in that match which meant Tayls could get the winner. I'd also like to mention Elliott Moore as I thought he really stood up when Southend had us under pressure.

Undoubtedly a fair few had off days, especially in midfield, and the team as a unit, but that they dug out a win is promising for the future.

Southend deserve praise considering how bad they've been this season. I agree with Sol Campbell that they deserved a point, probably all 3 tbf imo. Handled the conditions in both halves better than us and it was only that end spell when we got on top (with the 3 chances) that they struggled.

And finally nice to see we saw out the injury time pretty comfortably.

The wind must have made it very difficult for all the players and made for a disappointing spectacle all round, but I agree Forde was woeful. Why was he preferred to Long?
Because he gives more of an attacking dimension from RB than Long. Forde had a bad game.

Good - Taylor, Henry, Browne, Dickie
Average - Ruffs, Moore, Easty
Poor - Bran, Forde, Sykes, Gorrin

Weather - Guff

Game - Awful

Opponents - not awful

Result - Perfection

Henry was awful too, as was Browne apart from a couple of moments. Thought Eastwood and Moore were good and Gorrin was ok.

Not sure what’s up with Brannagan the last couple of days, just doesn’t seem himself again after he’s turned a corner. Forde was extremely poor, just didn’t look right today.

Also, not sure why Karl keeps having a go at Gorrin last few games. He’s played well, but Karl keeps having a go at him and shaking his head when he’s on the ball even when he's passed it correctly. However, if Browne tries something or loses the ball when an easy option is on he (Karl) never has a go at him.

Last edited:
We looked tired today which isn't a surprise really. It showed as the team lacked that something extra that they normally have. So on that basis it was an excellent result. I hope the players enjoy their time off and come back refreshed.

The wind had a far more noticeable impact on the game, far more than other games when it has been windy.

People are rightly praising Matty Taylor but Easty deserves the plaudits just as much. He kept us in that match which meant Tayls could get the winner. I'd also like to mention Elliott Moore as I thought he really stood up when Southend had us under pressure.

Undoubtedly a fair few had off days, especially in midfield, and the team as a unit, but that they dug out a win is promising for the future.

Southend deserve praise considering how bad they've been this season. I agree with Sol Campbell that they deserved a point, probably all 3 tbf imo. Handled the conditions in both halves better than us and it was only that end spell when we got on top (with the 3 chances) that they struggled.

And finally nice to see we saw out the injury time pretty comfortably.

Bit worrying why these players cannot play two games a week.

All that after a difficult few days. February has been a magnificent effort from all concerned. Lets all have a bloody good ‘love-in’ from top to bottom - from Tiger all the way through to every supporter - and see where we end up. We can almost touch top spot so if we all forget our differences, leave all negativity at the door I reckon this could still yet be a very special season. We’ve still got secret weapons Woodburn and Kelly in reserve.

agreed, unfortunately that’s not possible with some on here...

Back
Top Bottom