Home Match Day Thread 28/10/2023 L1: OUFC v Wycombe Wanderers

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We are 6 points ahead of 7th place with a game in hand. I’d say we are very much a play off contender and with a bit of reinforcements in the new year will hopefully be a top 2 contender.

Out of interest you say Bolton will go up automatically but what makes you say that? Considering they have played the same amount of games as us, won, drawn and lost the exact same amount as we have. The only difference is they have scored 1 more goal than us but we have conceded 4 less goals than them. Yet we aren’t play off contenders while they are going up automatically 🤷🏼‍♂️

Imo, the difference between us and Bolton will most probably be Dion Charles.

So you saying macguane intentionally handled?

Yes, I said that when I first saw it.
I said earlier when it happened (as I cant get to games at the mo) that his behaviour after the inccident was very striking in terms of knowing what he's done.
Watch the video, his arm is behind the ball and then he reaches out to where the ball is going to be to intercept.

Last edited:
We are 6 points ahead of 7th place with a game in hand. I’d say we are very much a play off contender and with a bit of reinforcements in the new year will hopefully be a top 2 contender.

Out of interest you say Bolton will go up automatically but what makes you say that? Considering they have played the same amount of games as us, won, drawn and lost the exact same amount as we have. The only difference is they have scored 1 more goal than us but we have conceded 4 less goals than them. Yet we aren’t play off contenders while they are going up automatically 🤷🏼‍♂️
Direction of travel innit? They look strong while we look weak. However Manning has a chance to sort us out , especially now Cam is back.

So then, I think it's safe to say that was the worst refereeing performance I've ever witnessed, whether it was for or against us, he gave so many decisions the wrong way, giving free kicks when they weren't free kicks, not giving free kicks when he should've done, none of the penalties were penalties, yellow cards when they shouldn't have been, and not giving yellow cards when he should've done, the inconsistency and incompetence was unbelievable, and he completely ruined the game, and stopped it being a football spectacle, instead making it a spectacle of refereeing idiocy.

Incompetent amateurs like Seb Stockbridge shouldn't be allowed to officiate professional games, and allowing them to do so is both reckless and negligent by the FA, and something needs to be done, as people are spending their hard earned money to watch football, not some idiot who's clearly got no clue about football and clearly hasn't received the relevant training to take charge of professional football matches. It's embarrassing.

But anyway, enough about that prat.

We were rubbish today, slow and ponderous with our passing, too much sideways and backwards passes, and the few chances we did create, we fluffed terribly.

There was no bite in the midfield, no pace out wide, and no creativity or efficiency in the middle.

McEachran is a fine player, with nice passing ability, but he lacks intensity and doesn't really create anything with his passing, it's all very safe and he doesn't take enough risks, which would be fine, if he was a tough tackling, ball winning midfielder, but he's not, and that's the problem, he just keeps things ticking over when we have the ball, but without an all action, creative box to box midfielder alongside him, he becomes pretty ineffective.

Similar feelings of frustration with McGuane for me, an excellent player, who holds onto the ball superbly, and possesses so much talent, but soooo much of his play goes sideways or backwards, he doesn't take any risks, and never seems to penetrate the opposition with his passing or running with the ball, it always goes sideways and backwards, and I think him and McEachran playing alongside each other is a problem, as we lose a lot of impetus with them both in the side, and the sooner Cam comes back into the starting lineup to provide some bite, intensity and aggression, the better.

We've got to stop this three at the back nonsense, we were looking so solid with a back four of Long, Moore, Negru/Thorniley and Brown, and although I've never been a fan of 4231, Manning was getting us playing some superb stuff with it, we were scoring for fun, and keeping clean sheets, so WHY THE HELL CHANGE IT?!?!

Long and Brown both look so uncomfortable in a back three, and need to return them to their natural positions, where they have looked so solid this season.

And as for Harris, he's been very poor since returning, and we looked so much better with Bodin as the striker, and were scoring and creating freely every game, so why change it?

It's all gone a bit of kilter in recent games, since these changes have occurred, and that can't be a coincidence, so please Liam, stop this madness NOW, and go back to what was working so well before, before the wheels come off!

Last edited:

Think it's more to do withe fact we've been pretty dire the past 3+ matches.

6 senior strikers at Bolton. SIX. That’s despite having one of the best at this level who hardly misses a game.

Congratulations to them. Dion Charles will play every game when fit and will score 20+ for the season if he stays fit. That will be the difference between the two sides imo.

Congratulations to them. Dion Charles will play every game when fit and will score 20+ for the season if he stays fit. That will be the difference between the two sides imo.
In agreement with you.

Astonishing what other teams have compared to us when you look closely. 3 of those strikers combined probably amount to Murphy’s wage!

Speaks volumes that 2 of our standout players of the year were bit-part players for the team who finished second last season. We still have a long way to go and we’re just coming unstuck a bit through a short selection of players operating at that level.

Long and Brown both look so uncomfortable in a back three, and need to return them to their natural positions, where they have looked so solid this season.
Are you seriously playing Brown ahead of Leigh at left back? Long also inst up to it and hasn't been for some time, I'm amazed there are still some fans who don't see this.

I've said before part of the reason we struggled last season was because we created next to nothing from the full backs and they struggled even to progress the ball to a midfielder. I can't believe people have watched Greg Leigh over the last couple of months and yearn to have Ciaron Brown back in there either turning back inside or lofting it aimlessly down the line. When we get a similar replacement on the right side as well then we'll see what we've been missing having Long there. With Edwards and Browne missing I don't think we can afford to also carry no threat from full back.

Feel a bit for Harris. He took a good touch and was in, centre of the goal and a great opportunity, only for the ref to pull it back for a free kick. Then 2 minutes later he takes a pretty poor touch and gives the goalie a chance to make the save. Then of course there's the header in the second half, although I think that was harder than it looked.

He's not a natural finisher but I think a goal would do his confidence the world of good, it's a shame the first (and best) opportunity he had was pulled back for a free kick no Oxford fan (or player) wanted. We obviously need another striker, but he did do a lot of very good work all throughout the game, and the only reason we sustained some of our attacks was because of him chasing down or nipping ahead of a defender.

Also a fantastic flop to the floor for our penalty.

Not that I think anyone is getting on his back, but we've got to stick with him. He's all we've really got until January (unless Perkins perks up).

Was I the only person listening when Manning said Negru was injured?

Are you seriously playing Brown ahead of Leigh at left back? Long also inst up to it and hasn't been for some time, I'm amazed there are still some fans who don't see this.

I've said before part of the reason we struggled last season was because we created next to nothing from the full backs and they struggled even to progress the ball to a midfielder. I can't believe people have watched Greg Leigh over the last couple of months and yearn to have Ciaron Brown back in there either turning back inside or lofting it aimlessly down the line. When we get a similar replacement on the right side as well then we'll see what we've been missing having Long there. With Edwards and Browne missing I don't think we can afford to also carry no threat from full back.

Some of Leigh's crosses into the box today were outstanding, especially second half . If only we had a striker to bury a header from it. A right sided Greg Leigh should be second priority on the shopping list for January.

The assessors sat virtually next to us. They were actually laughing when he gave their second pen..Oh, and they stood up and left when he gave our pen. I would hope that Stockbridge does not get another match for a while. Absolutely scandalous.
I suspect they were not the assessors. There is only one referee assessor who sits in one of the boxes specifically for the officials. I had the pleasure of sitting in the same box once with an assessor who gave me a lot of info on how it all works. Actually asked for my opinion on some issues!

Direction of travel innit? They look strong while we look weak. However Manning has a chance to sort us out , especially now Cam is back.
Yet just over a week ago we had won 5 in a row.

Both teams have had poor results, results where they have been lucky and results where they have completely out classed the other side.

It’s far too early to say if we will be top 2 contenders or in the play offs but to say 1 side will go up automatically and the other currently isn’t even a play off contender is knee jerk and IMO a bit ludicrous.

Everyone is disappointed after the last 3 games but we are always going to have these spells through out the season and guess what, I’m sure we will hit another slightly rough patch again at some stage.

Thoughts on today.

The ref was comically bad from the very start for both teams, I never really moan about refs as it’s pointless and it’s a hard job but that was truly terrible, like Joe Ross and Trevor Kettle had a love child and had bought him up to be the worst referee ever. I look forward to following his rise up the leagues and Klopp suing him during a game.

Actually thought the minutes silence was a bit weird today, it’s two weeks away and we have a home game next week, not certain what the club were doing with this.

On the actual match, we are very narrow, we play a lot of nice passing moves but we lack penetration, hardly ever get in behind to shoot or pull it back/cross. The way we set up it’s hard to see that changing, we are desperate for Browne or Edwards to get back fit and give some pace and width.

When that happens, perhaps before, I think it’s time to go back to 4 at the back and having wide players who are pushed further forward, the current formation is causing us to do to many very short passes in and around the centre circle to very little effect, it gives the illusion of dominance but I don’t think the opposition are that bothered by it.

Why’s everyone talking about the defence like we didn’t defend well today 😂 the two goals wasn’t even the defence fault 🥴

Yet just over a week ago we had won 5 in a row.

Both teams have had poor results, results where they have been lucky and results where they have completely out classed the other side.

It’s far too early to say if we will be top 2 contenders or in the play offs but to say 1 side will go up automatically and the other currently isn’t even a play off contender is knee jerk and IMO a bit ludicrous.

Everyone is disappointed after the last 3 games but we are always going to have these spells through out the season and guess what, I’m sure we will hit another slightly rough patch again at some stage.
The main problem is our current form is based on our inability to score goals and without scoring, we aren't going to win games and will really struggle especially if other teams capitalise on our frailties going forward. Blackpool last week shut us down completely and restricted us to one shot off-target in 55 minutes. If we don't get the service to our one lone striker then it's going to be very difficult to get a lead and even build on it. This will be more emphasised against bigger teams who we are currently competing against I worry that we could easily fall away as our options dry up. There's actually teams in the lower half of the table with far more convincing attacking options. Even with Edwards and Browne coming back, we still need an out-and-out striker to assist Harris and provide an extra option.

GOD really needs to step it up this year yet he's looking way off this level already. Perkins is probably done and it's still too early for Woltman. It's not terrible form by any means but it could lead to bigger problems as we stumble through to January.

For all his obvious faults, Long was doing well at RB, and is all we've got in that position, as Stevens is bloody awful.

Brown has been solid as a rock at LB, and I'd rather play Leigh on the left of the 3 in a 4231, as he will offer a lot in the final third, whilst also providing excellent stability and defensive support down the left.

Once Browne or Edwards return, then Leigh would get the nod over Brown at LB

For all his obvious faults, Long was doing well at RB, and is all we've got in that position, as Stevens is bloody awful.

Brown has been solid as a rock at LB, and I'd rather play Leigh on the left of the 3 in a 4231, as he will offer a lot in the final third, whilst also providing excellent stability and defensive support down the left.

Once Browne or Edwards return, then Leigh would get the nod over Brown at LB
Why are we talking about changing the defence when we have the 2nd best defence in the league 😂 and both goals today wasn’t even part of the defence I’m so confused

Back
Top Bottom