Away Match Day Thread 27/02/2021 L1 MK Dons v OUFC

Agyei did more in 20 minutes than taylor / winnall has done in the past 4 games. A striker with pace and strength..
In Taylor's defence, we were getting the ball in to Agyei, and providing him with a level of service and support that Taylor simply hasn't been receiving.

For me, Barker is an impact sub, nothing more, it's been evident since he's been here, that he puts in minimal effort, unless he's faced with a chance to run at the full back, and even then he gives up if he's faced with a fight for the ball, it's unacceptable, and doesn't warrant a starting place, and I can see now why he's not getting a look in at Rangers.

Shodipo is crap, constantly loses possession, and looks utterly clueless, I'd rather have Rob Hall back in the squad, at least he's capable of actually passing to a teammate.

Pleased with the result, but disgusted with the performances of Shodipo and Barker, they looked like they couldn't care less, and should take a leaf out of Lee's book, he fought from start to finish, and didn't look like a player in on loan.

We need players who are prepared to put their bodies on the line, and fight for the cause, which is exactly what the subs did today when they came on, so for me, the team that finished the game should be the team that starts on Tuesday, with Shodipo and Barker nowhere near the starting lineup.

What a load of rubbish. Until the 96th minute essentially saying they controlled the game. We had the better chances, we hit the post, keeper should of have been sent off after clear goal scoring opportunity and then makes point blank safe.
According to the stats we also had more shots than them as well.

What I think happens a lot with us is that a player comes in, usually as a sub or as an emergency switch around and really makes fans and manager alike think that they are worth a shot in the starting XI, only to be anonymous, bang average or simply awful when actually given the opportunity.

Winnall comes on, forces a couple of chances, starts next game, is crap
Shodipo comes in, plays well once, plays awful next game.
Sykes, Agyei, Forde, Kelly all as well to a greater or lesser extent.

You do wonder how much this is down to the players and how much to the manager.
Circumstance too, though. It's easier to look good as an attacking player against a tiring defence where there's more space.

It's also not unique to this season. I remember it particularly when we were rotating Thomas and Obika as strikers a few years ago. One would start, look awful, and the other would come on for the final 20 mins, look decent and start the next game. Rinse and repeat.

Circumstance too, though. It's easier to look good as an attacking player against a tiring defence where there's more space.

It's also not unique to this season. I remember it particularly when we were rotating Thomas and Obika as strikers a few years ago. One would start, look awful, and the other would come on for the final 20 mins, look decent and start the next game. Rinse and repeat.
Both Winnall and Taylor have come on as replacement strikers in recent games and haven’t looked good at all, so I don’t think it’s as easy as all that!

Both Winnall and Taylor have come on as replacement strikers in recent games and haven’t looked good at all, so I don’t think it’s as easy as all that!
True. However, I would say certain attributes which Agyei has compared to the other two are better suited to coming on against a tired defence, pace and power for example.

In Taylor's defence, we were getting the ball in to Agyei, and providing him with a level of service and support that Taylor simply hasn't been receiving.

For me, Barker is an impact sub, nothing more, it's been evident since he's been here, that he puts in minimal effort, unless he's faced with a chance to run at the full back, and even then he gives up if he's faced with a fight for the ball, it's unacceptable, and doesn't warrant a starting place, and I can see now why he's not getting a look in at Rangers.

Shodipo is crap, constantly loses possession, and looks utterly clueless, I'd rather have Rob Hall back in the squad, at least he's capable of actually passing to a teammate.

Pleased with the result, but disgusted with the performances of Shodipo and Barker, they looked like they couldn't care less, and should take a leaf out of Lee's book, he fought from start to finish, and didn't look like a player in on loan.

We need players who are prepared to put their bodies on the line, and fight for the cause, which is exactly what the subs did today when they came on, so for me, the team that finished the game should be the team that starts on Tuesday, with Shodipo and Barker nowhere near the starting lineup.

Can’t agree about Taylor. Agyei made things happen, stretched the defence, found space, looked mobile - everything Taylor didn’t do.

People have very short memories.
Matt Taylor has not been good recently but is a terrific goal scorer.
He will come back and score lots of goals.
Agreed.

If the team switches on, the way they did when the subs came on today, and gives him the kind of service and support that Agyei received, then Taylor will score plenty, but if they continue to be sloppy and disinterested, like they were when the likes of Barker and Shodipo were on the pitch, then he will continue to struggle, as any striker would.

Agreed.

If the team switches on, the way they did when the subs came on today, and gives him the kind of service and support that Agyei received, then Taylor will score plenty, but if they continue to be sloppy and disinterested, like they were when the likes of Barker and Shodipo were on the pitch, then he will continue to struggle, as any striker would.
Maybe Robbo should make his substitutions sooner who knows we may have scored another goal.

Back
Top Bottom