• MK Dongs

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has the potential to be like the Rochdale game, wide open and free scoring.

Now I've said it.

0-0

Robinson tends to let this fixture get to him. The away game last season was the worst I had seen us play in a long time (probably since Blackpool away under Clotet in 2017), and while we won 3-2 this season we played badly and were rather fortunate. He described MK as “a better football team” after the game and said that we had to “humble ourselves” by playing a different way, which I thought was absurd given they were right down around the relegation zone last season, and haven’t exactly been pulling up trees this term either. They are 13th and have played a game or two more than most of those above them. I don’t know on what planet they’re a better football team or what that’s based on, but RadOx made a point after the game the other night of saying that Robinson didn’t leave on the best terms with Winkleman. I thought it was telling that they brought that up. I think this is his own personal derby game, which is somewhat concerning. Would certainly go some way towards explaining the strange comments about them being better than us and the absolute shocker at their place last time out - he’s too worried about losing. He doesn’t talk about any other side like that in our division - they’re the only side I’ve ever heard him say are a better football team than us - and he doesn’t blow apart the way that the team sets up to the extent that he has done the last couple of times we’ve met them. So I think it’s fair to say that there’s clearly something there when it comes to little old MK in his mind.

The result is one thing, but tomorrow I’ll be looking at how we play and the way in which we set up. If it’s very disjointed and markedly out of character, I think it’ll be quite obvious what’s happened. I hope that it’s being treated as just another game against a team in the bottom half that we’re looking to win.

The result is one thing, but tomorrow I’ll be looking at how we play and the way in which we set up. If it’s very disjointed and markedly out of character, I think it’ll be quite obvious what’s happened. I hope that it’s being treated as just another game against a team in the bottom half that we’re looking to win.

I'm not saying you're wrong but it may be difficult to mark out a disjointed or out of character performance after the last 3 games!

Last game in February, a month that hasn’t been brilliant for us but hasn’t been a total disaster. I think we have been blown off course a bit since the transfer window closed. We signed some really good players that should improve us, but I think it takes a while for players to bed in and for the management to get the best combination of the players available.
I would like to see Kelly back in the starting eleven, because I think we need his passing ability in the midfield. Hopefully we finish this month on a high and get our season back on track.

M K Dons 1. Oxford United. 3

MK Dons are not quite at Rochdale levels of kamikaze - but they do seem to score a lot, and ship a lot.
Even in their good recent run, they've had a 2-2, a 4-1, a 4-3 and a 4-2 loss in their last five games!

Should hopefully be an entertaining contest.

I think we really need a win. With Posh, Charlton, Hull & Doncaster coming up in our next five (as well as the Scum), we've got to start winning some tougher games asap if we're going to stay in the playoff hunt.

I think we're in a post-window tinkerman trough so I won't be surprised at any outcome from this one. Thank F the defence seems to pick itself.

Midfield has been very weak and a bit passive since McGuane got injured, it needs a bit of pace and steel ahead of Gorrin. Not sure where that will come from with Brannagan out of form.

The front line is firing on 1 cylinder with no support evident for the front man and both 'recognised' wingers leave us light when defending (tho Shodipo does try). Maybe it's time for a change up front and Agyei off the bench would at least offer something different. Since that won't happen, maybe Lee at the front of the diamond with Taylor ahead (Winnall seems to me to offer nothing that Taylor's not better at), and one winger starting?

Who has the energy and pace we need in midfield? A fit Brannagan perhaps would. Maybe Hanson has a role as we defend so poorly in front of the defence but he's unreliable with the ball and a bit purpose less off it.

Tricky one.

I'd like to see Agyei tucked in behind Matty. Brannagan and Gorrin in front of the back four. Shodipo and Barker wide and the usual defence. Hold Lee, Henry, Sykes and Grayson for later.
That way if the ball is brought through the middle, any high balls at least have a chance of being picked up by Agyei with Matty running onto or into space for the wide men to come inside.
But what do I know? We'll probably see Hall get a start as he is so good against MK and Dan Agyei won't even make the bench.

We haven't scored in the last three games. We've never scored at Stadium MK, forgive me for not being optimistic.

I'd love to beat this odious franchise, makes be angry how many of their shirts you see round north Oxon these days. This is our patch!
What’s odious about them? They took over a failing Wimbledon whose fans weren’t there to support them. Now MK have a fan base that has been brought up on football in their own town and these kids are now adults. I don’t get the hate they receive.

What’s odious about them? They took over a failing Wimbledon whose fans weren’t there to support them. Now MK have a fan base that has been brought up on football in their own town and these kids are now adults. I don’t get the hate they receive.
Not wanting to open a can of worms around this fixture again, but there are ways of doing things. A long time ago though, I have no feelings one way or another about them now. Just another side to try and get 6 points from over the season.

I think we're in a post-window tinkerman trough so I won't be surprised at any outcome from this one. Thank F the defence seems to pick itself.

Midfield has been very weak and a bit passive since McGuane got injured, it needs a bit of pace and steel ahead of Gorrin. Not sure where that will come from with Brannagan out of form.

The front line is firing on 1 cylinder with no support evident for the front man and both 'recognised' wingers leave us light when defending (tho Shodipo does try). Maybe it's time for a change up front and Agyei off the bench would at least offer something different. Since that won't happen, maybe Lee at the front of the diamond with Taylor ahead (Winnall seems to me to offer nothing that Taylor's not better at), and one winger starting?

Who has the energy and pace we need in midfield? A fit Brannagan perhaps would. Maybe Hanson has a role as we defend so poorly in front of the defence but he's unreliable with the ball and a bit purpose less off it.

Tricky one.
Yep; exactly this. Very hard to predict and I wouldn’t be surprised at a heavy defeat or a 3-0 win. Midfield is the key tomorrow. Start like we have been starting recently and we’re in trouble. Get at them early and they are.

I'd like to see Barker and Shodipo start together, if Robbo is willing to try that. I fear we will lose, just hoping for a better performance. The last two have been atrocious imo.

I'd like to see Barker and Shodipo start together, if Robbo is willing to try that. I fear we will lose, just hoping for a better performance. The last two have been atrocious imo.
I don’t think we can play those two together for any length of time, they’re too flaky. Not that I have any radical improvements to suggest. The players have mainly been as bad as each other in the last two games, it’s more about collective approach and confidence than picking on individuals.

I don’t think we can play those two together for any length of time, they’re too flaky. Not that I have any radical improvements to suggest. The players have mainly been as bad as each other in the last two games, it’s more about collective approach and confidence than picking on individuals.
I think it would be an interesting experiment. In terms of raw talent Barker is our best player

Way I see it, eight of the eleven pick themselves if they're fit.
Stevens, Long, Atkinson, Moore, Ruffels, Gorrin, Brannigan & Taylor up front. Yes, Matty's not been in the best form of late but he's still the best we have by a mile.

So then it's the two wing spots and the furthest forward midfield role that are up for grabs.
And you've got a ton of options - Lee, Barker, Shodipo, Henry, Sykes, Kelly, Forde, Hall, Agyei - but the problem is that none of them are ideal for that midfield role. McGuane (or Baptiste before him) was exactly the sort of player you need because he had good passing range and skill but was also a bit of a unit who was tough to bully.

I think Lee has to play somewhere because he's the best of the bunch. But can he play the midfield role, or his he too lightweight? Probably depends on who MK have by way of a Gorrin-style enforcer. If they don't have anyone like him, then I think you give Lee a shot there and see if it works. But if they do.....I have no idea. Part of me thinks we then may as well play Forde or Kelly in CM as more of the KISS type, push Cam a little further forward, and play Lee on the right & Barker or Shodipo (take your pick - they may be brilliant, they may be invisible) on the left.

We have a team and the ability to win this one. We don’t have the form at present though. We’re putting in patchy performances and the midfield is suffering without McGuane’s drive to haul us forward and pressurise the opponent’s defence.

Still, I live in hope. Win it and stay in the hunt to keep the season interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom