Away Match Day Thread 27/02/2021 L1 MK Dons v OUFC

We got lucky that Winnall had to go off because otherwise Agyei would’ve been farmed out onto the left wing where he can’t play, and he wouldn’t have been in the position to get the foul off the keeper, or get on the end of crosses into the box, both in terms of forcing a good save from and then getting the knock down for the equaliser. His presence pinned MK back - he made them drop deep and stopped them pushing forward because they knew there was a threat. Their centre back Harry Darling looked like Maldini all game, and then he spent 15 minutes worrying about Agyei and looked average. The plan was for Winnall to be there and Agyei to be on the wide left, with no idea what to do and not being able to track back because he has no idea how to mark an attacking full back. It was a lucky break, although it occurring at the expense of a player getting injured makes the word ‘lucky’ feel a bit off.

Either way, Winnall coming on and then going pretty much straight off is the only reason we got to see Agyei play his natural game at all, which turned the game. That’s why most of the highlights are from 75 onwards and Agyei is in basically all of the clips. Robinson could’ve brought him on at half time and it wouldn’t have made a difference if he was being sent to wander around the left flank looking lost, and being blamed for their right wing back (who was already having a worldie) having a free run at Ruffels. Which is exactly what would’ve happened, and then he’d have been out of the squad all over again with his poor performance being used as ‘proof’ that he isn’t up to it. Despite the fact that playing Agyei on the wing is the equivalent of playing someone like Brannagan at right back. The more it doesn’t work, the more it becomes the manager’s fault for repeatedly doing something that he knows affects the team negatively. You can only blame players for so long before the question becomes, “So why do you keep doing it?”

At least we’ve finally reached the point where everybody knows once and for all that Agyei can only play centrally. Kinniburgh said the same after the match: “I think that’s the only position he can play.” So let’s hope that any times we do see him again, it’s down the middle. Otherwise it’s a waste of everybody’s time, and would only confirm once and for all that Robinson is the one with the problem by repeatedly doing something he knows doesn’t
Whilst i admit i'm saying this with pre thoughts did anyone else notice the bowed head then sheepish look towards the bench after his effort went just past the post? may just be coincidence or indeed a shout of encouragement came from the bench but i felt that Look said a lot.
I've said all season that he and Taylor could be a lethal pairing if played close together and did seem obvious and worth trying in just a few brief minutes they played together earlier in the season.

Not goalscoring? With one or two touches inside he would have had an empty net to roll the ball into.
That's the crucial thing though..."one or two touches".... Would probably have allowed defender to get back onto the line.
Not saying I agree with the ref, not least because I partly agree with marked ox regarding the control, or lack of, in the challenge, I'm just trying to understand his thinking in not giving the red

we need remember this wasn't a player bearing down on goal with ball at feet it was a race to get to a loose ball and in Dans case was at an angle when he got to it going away from goal.
That said it's fine to say a defender would have gotten back but then does it not also follow that even if Dan was unable to convert that one of our players would have got into the box to receive a tap in?

Because once that bank of 3 in the 4231 was breached, which let's face it, with Shodipo and Barker in that 3, was always going to be easy, we were only left with Gorrin and Brannagan to try to stop them advancing on us!

Its not even a formation that suits having out and out wingers, let alone wingers who don't track back and defend, and if we play that formation, with Shodipo and Barker in the 3, against better opposition, we will be punished severely for it.
Agree with a lot of what you say, knowing that MK play out from the back and knowing that our midfield have been under
pressure in recent weeks, playing both Shodipo and Barker was asking for trouble as defensively they bring next to nothing.

You also said that they make us weaker as a team and i would agree with that as well, since Barkers arrival we have lost a lot
of cohesion, prior to his arrival we could have been described as a team of two halves, not capable of dominating a game
for 90 minutes, but a good 45 that was enough to get us the points, since then we have managed spells of 10/15 minutes
max as we struggle to find a system that works.

Rather than mess about trying to accommodate Barker i want us to revert back to the way we were playing in December and January,
when Lee came in he said he could play anywhere in the front 3 and also behind the striker, so i would try him on the left,
play Henry centrally and have Sykes on the right with Gorrin and Brannagan behind them. There seems to be some debate about
Taylor, Winnall and Agyei, i would stick with Taylor if Lee was on the left, what we lose in speed and individual skill we make up for
in team shape and guile, i think Taylor would benefit from that rather than having to guess what Shodipo or Barker are
going to do next. Agyei moved ahead of Winnall for me yesterday and deserves a place on the bench which is were i would put
Shodipo and Barker.

I`m not going to throw our two speedy wingers under a bus, but Barker maybe needs to feel the wheels of a supermarket trolly, his
defensive attributes amount to about a 1 out of 10, he is effective for about 10 minutes, about the time it takes for the opposition
defence to suss out that even though he has the speed, he has no interest in winning the ball because when he does have the
opportunity to force a mistake he goes into a curve that gives the defender time to clear, thats too easy, he needs to challenge
for the ball, force the error and plant a seed of doubt into the the opposition players mind and get them panic hoofing.

I like KR, more than happy with him at the helm, but yesterday he was way off it and got lucky. It seems as if opposition scouts have
been identifying Ruffels as a weak link in our back four, MK dons have Laird and they like to play out from the back, knowing this as
he should and taking into account our midfield has been stuttering, playing the defensively clueless Barker on the left was really poor.

Thought Mk were pretty decent tbf, they have a unique style and will take points off of other teams at the top so coming away with a draw
is not so bad.

Got one foot. Only one foot. No pace.

That's not to say he's worse than many of our players.

I think he might be a decent stiffener as he shows some small inclination to put a foot in but really, with Robbo's tactical genius and all this backing from Tigger, why are we having this discussion?

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing! When the team was announced several people said that it was our strongest team (I agreed, at least in my head, as I didn't post), and I didn't see a lot (or any, for that matter) posts to the effect that having Barker and Shadipo as our two wingers was a terrible idea. I also doubt very much that there are many of you who, having seen Dan's squandering of that clear-cut chance in his last outing, would have put him ahead of either Taylor or Winnall. Even now, coming on fresh against a tiring opposition and doing great for 15 minutes, I don't know that I'd pick Dan over Matt as our starting centre forward.

A couple of other interesting things to note are (a) we've not played well for the past five games, having picked up only 8 points and (b) of the teams above us, only Peterborough (15) and Sunderland (10) have got more points than we have over the past five games. So if we're playing shite, what does that say about Lincoln, with 5 points, or Portsmouth or Hull with 7 points? At various times during the season, it's looked as though one or other team would run away with the title, only to drop off dramatically. The playoffs are by no means out of reach.

Got one foot. Only one foot. No pace.

That's not to say he's worse than many of our players.

I think he might be a decent stiffener as he shows some small inclination to put a foot in but really, with Robbo's tactical genius and all this backing from Tigger, why are we having this discussion?
Yes the goal he scored against Burton last season showed he only has one foot ...err
He is a extremely useful player who can play in a few positions and play well.

Agree. When playing sport, any sport at a reasonably high level, any drop off of form or fitness is often glaringly exposed. You might be able to get away with it once or twice, but Mistakes, whether physical or mental often have huge negative consequences when you are up against others at a similar level.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing! When the team was announced several people said that it was our strongest team (I agreed, at least in my head, as I didn't post), and I didn't see a lot (or any, for that matter) posts to the effect that having Barker and Shadipo as our two wingers was a terrible idea. I also doubt very much that there are many of you who, having seen Dan's squandering of that clear-cut chance in his last outing, would have put him ahead of either Taylor or Winnall. Even now, coming on fresh against a tiring opposition and doing great for 15 minutes, I don't know that I'd pick Dan over Matt as our starting centre forward.

A couple of other interesting things to note are (a) we've not played well for the past five games, having picked up only 8 points and (b) of the teams above us, only Peterborough (15) and Sunderland (10) have got more points than we have over the past five games. So if we're playing shite, what does that say about Lincoln, with 5 points, or Portsmouth or Hull with 7 points? At various times during the season, it's looked as though one or other team would run away with the title, only to drop off dramatically. The playoffs are by no means out of reach.
The beautiful voice of reason.

Back
Top Bottom