Away Match Day Thread 27/01/2024 L1: Bristol Rovers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Surely the board should have been aware of this at interview.

I'd love to know what candidates he got the job over?
Who were the ‘three’. Dez obviously and heavily hinted at JE, we know if wasn’t Luke Williams….who was the third ? Was it ever disclosed on here

We really do need a couple more wingers in the squad to allow us to start on the front foot and get in behind if and when we have to play long balls.

Teams are constantly pressing us high at start of games and quick strong wingers will help us keep hold of possession higher up the pitch. The big problem is also Des is clearly not coaching players with individual instructions as there’s too many long passes to shorter players (like Harris and Goodhram) where we’ll always lose possession. We can’t be instructing players to do that which suggests confusion in their individual roles and team instructions in where to direct forward passes.

Edwards and Mills were both massive to our early season form, whilst to help save us from relegation, Browne, Goodhram and Bodin were crucial as well as Murphy in the odd game so whilst missing wide and forward players is clearly not Des’ fault, we are still in a perfect storm of missing key players, lack of adequate replacements and poor tactics from Des. Worryingly we now look out of shape defensively and back off which we weren’t doing at the start of the season. Again player and team instructions in how we defend. It’s no good after the event saying we conceded ‘cheap goals’. Why are the players now ball watching and backing off?

Dare I say there is almost an arrogance in his responses...and I am getting fed up of hearing about players who will soon be back and that we will make sure we are right for the next game.
First half today as Rad Ox called it there was no one individual who was at fault but collectively as a team we were a shambles. When you cant get a reasonable performance from reasonable ingredients that is only down to one thing...coaching
I agree, arrogance and the half a smirk he has.

Manager taking all the blame whilst barely any fan points the finger at the non-existent Grant Ferguson & Tim Williams.
It’s their fault more than Des. Literally getting paid to do f**k all, as well as alienating other members of the hierarchy, and obviously have fucked Des off with making him have an ASM that he didn’t want.

I get that coaches want to put their own stamp on the game, but why have we changed tactics so drastically?? I'd have thought Des would have watched all of our tapes from the start of the season and tried something which complemented the winning formula. He can do something else next year if he has something else in mind. The problem is it's hard to see what he's actually trying to achieve at the moment.

That match was one of the most "league one" performances I've seen from two sides in a long time.

Let’s have it right, that performance today was sh1t.

Those saying “well, we were better second half and had a go” need to get a grip. The game starts at 3pm, not 4pm.

There doesn’t appear to be a plan and there appears to be no real progressive pattern to our play.

PPG under Des is reducing by the game. With 2 tricky home games to come, I’d not like to be him if it doesn’t go well this week coming. Supporters tend to cling on to hope and sprouts of encouragement. Unfortunately, I’m not really seeing any.

Is everyone 100% behind him in the dressing room? Results would perhaps suggest that they are not.

All that said, do NOT take your collective eyes off the ball. This is not all on Buckingham.
TIM WILLIAMS AND GRANT FERGUSON, our club stewards and those that are doing their very best by us (allegedly), where the bloody hell are they and WHAT are they actually doing to positively influence our club? Ask yourselves.

I get that coaches want to put their own stamp on the game, but why have we changed tactics so drastically?? I'd have thought Des would have watched all of our tapes from the start of the season and tried something which complemented the winning formula. He can do something else next year if he has something else in mind. The problem is it's hard to see what he's actually trying to achieve at the moment.

That match was one of the most "league one" performances I've seen from two sides in a long time.
He said after the game he wants to play with wingers but we don't have any.

Those saying “well, we were better second half and had a go” need to get a grip. The game starts at 3pm, not 4pm.

There doesn’t appear to be a plan and there appears to be no real progressive pattern to our play.

PPG under Des is reducing by the game. With 2 tricky home games to come, I’d not like to be him if it doesn’t go well this week coming. Supporters tend to cling on to hope and sprouts of encouragement. Unfortunately, I’m not really seeing any.

Is everyone 100% behind him in the dressing room? Results would perhaps suggest that they are not.

All that said, do NOT take your collective eyes off the ball. This is not all on Buckingham.
TIM WILLIAMS AND GRANT FERGUSON, our club stewards and those that are doing their very best by us (allegedly), where the bloody hell are they and WHAT are they actually doing to positively influence our club? Ask yourselves.
Williams & Ferguson deserve more heat than they get. They let KR drag on and on after it became obvious he needed to go.

I'm not convinced by Des. But TW and GF presumably made that decision. And I still wonder whether the reason Manning jumped at the first chance, was it as simple as Bristol City being a bigger club or does he think there's a problem at OUFC at board level?

Feel really down about it but it's only football I guess. It's just so so disappointing.

We need a smidgen of something to give us hope. Please don’t take that away from us too 🙂

We may have been punching above our weight under Manning, but we did pass the ball really well and when we broke some great one twos. Now the players almost seem scared to move it around, plus so many passes going astray. They lump it forward, often overhit and straight out of play. After Tuesday I was expecting a big improvement , but it was just more of the same without the wind. Bloody frustrating watch today. Well done the fans though.

Dare I say there is almost an arrogance in his responses...and I am getting fed up of hearing about players who will soon be back and that we will make sure we are right for the next game.
First half today as Rad Ox called it there was no one individual who was at fault but collectively as a team we were a shambles. When you cant get a reasonable performance from reasonable ingredients that is only down to one thing...coaching

Sounding very similar to Karl Robinson in his last season with us (apart from the dodgy Scouse accent)

I see someone refer to him as a PE teacher on Facebook and I'm finding it hard to disagree on current viewing.

It would be interesting to know what both of their salaries are.

How much are taking from the football club that they offer so little to?

The owners aren’t based here so appoint two blokes to run the club. Yet Grant, isn’t even based in the bloody country either. Madness.

Williams & Ferguson deserve more heat than they get. They let KR drag on and on after it became obvious he needed to go.

I'm not convinced by Des. But TW and GF presumably made that decision. And I still wonder whether the reason Manning jumped at the first chance, was it as simple as Bristol City being a bigger club or does he think there's a problem at OUFC at board level?

Feel really down about it but it's only football I guess. It's just so so disappointing.
Hey cheer up, I’m not looking forward to Pompey but we’ll beat Reading!!

Sounding very similar to Karl Robinson in his last season with us (apart from the dodgy Scouse accent)

I see someone refer to him as a PE teacher on Facebook and I'm finding it hard to disagree on current viewing.

Robinson was an utter tit in his last season with us regarding his off field antics however he was still the weekly spokesman on all things regarding the football club because Grant & Tim sat in silence.

Let’s not forget that.

He also got zero support.

I’m sure he was delighted to be on a one year rolling contract offering him & his family no long term secureness.

Yeah I just don’t get this apologist take. The game plan has to be correct right for the off and the performance must be 100% from the first whistle. If we get beaten by a better team then fair enough but when it’s against sides who show more desire or get the tactics right then it’s doubly infuriating. Some of our defeats have been against weak teams where we’ve been appalling i.e Cheltenham, Northampton and today plus the game management against Derby was mortifying. Even the cup games away at Wimbledon and Coventry were totally unacceptable.

I feel sorry for Des I really do but I wouldn't be sad if he wasn't our manager anymore simply because I want to enjoy going to football again I want to see my team fight for every ball attack teams with speed and directness I want to be able to watch an Oxford game and know what the identity of my team is.

As for the chuckle brothers it's time they stopped stealing a wage from our club because it is ours we will still be here long after them I wish they would get out of our club and fucked off . What do they bring to the table nothing one is barely in the country whilst the other hides away in a hole like a rat

Under Manning there was a style , now we are either completely S..t or not Bad or just S..t ,I know everyone will say what about the staff behind Des ,he can't be getting on with short. There was a moment today when Rodriguez who I think in the right set up people would really rave about I thought today he did alot of good things and is a class above league one. He flicked it through to Brannagan it was so close to be a fantastic pass and Cam turned round looked at him and I thought oh dear that is a man not very happy with what's going on. We really have lost that feeling of being coached. But let's be honest we now seem to need more Assistants, staticians ,etc etc ,you look at Jim Smith what a great manager. And at the minute when KR left and let's be honest it was a sad end when we played some great stuff for a good while then sadly he was playing away and completely lost the plot. We missed out on Darren Ferguson they might not go up but at our level he's a good manager. Or let's hope Des is learning and and we get 2 more good players over the line we do have a great finish to the season all the wingers return our new number 9 is amazing he gets the team on a run we sneak in the play offs get to the final and we get to the championship. I hope so for Des ,the board ,the players and the fans .Or we carry on just being s**t.

Back
Top Bottom