Away Match Day Thread 27/01/2024 L1: Bristol Rovers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just got back and this was my first time seeing a Des side in action, and I have a few thoughts about the game.

Normally I defend Des and want to see him given time, but that first half was dreadful. Woeful. Pathetic. Playing three at the back in the way Des wants us to play just doesn’t work.

I know we’re short on wingers meaning our options are limited, but swapping in an extra centre-half and pushing our fullbacks up a bit is poor tactically - all we do is pass it round the back and then hoof it up for Harris or Goodrham to try and win aerially. If we wanted to play like that, at least start O’Donkor.

Playing an extra defender in lieu of an attacker also gives the players more of an excuse to pass backwards. The players want to keep the ball and build the attack, but with fewer forward options it makes that so much harder. I feel like most of the half went like this: Moore > Negru > Stevens > hooked up looking for a striker, possession lost.

The 3-4-3 also leaves too many square pegs in round holes, and is reminiscent of the end days of Robinson. No clue, no plan and no idea of even how we’re trying to play. That formation needs to go in my eyes.

The two goals we conceded were pathetic, and also both came not long after we had possession. One of them was a freekick to us, how the hell are we conceding a goal 20 seconds later?

Second half was much much better and is how we should be playing, with a 4-2-3-1 with attacking full-backs, actual wingers and Ruben in the number 10 role. Burey had a good impact with his pace and direct running, positioning can be improved as he was too close to Leigh at times, but that’s something to work on. Needs to start in the next game for me.

Should have had a penalty for a trip on Burey, and we did get one goal back - but you feel like because of the lack of attacking options we needed to score twice in that 20 minute spell to get something out of the game. After that we ran out of a bit of puff, and the third Rovers goal killed it really.

Moore was MOTM for me, Bran was solid too. Negru probably didn’t deserve to be taken off at HT, but Des got it wrong by bringing him in to start instead of Burey, and persisting with the three at the back.

I hope this game is a wake up call to the management - because performances like that simply aren’t good enough, and the tactics today were completely wrong in the first half. We should be starting games like we want to actually win them, like in the second half, rather than looking to pass teams to death without any bite.

Let’s get a couple more attackers in and regroup, with more of what we saw in the second half and much much less of what we saw in the first.

Just got back and this was my first time seeing a Des side in action, and I have a few thoughts about the game.

Normally I defend Des and want to see him given time, but that first half was dreadful. Woeful. Pathetic. Playing three at the back in the way Des wants us to play just doesn’t work.

I know we’re short on wingers meaning our options are limited, but swapping in an extra centre-half and pushing our fullbacks up a bit is poor tactically - all we do is pass it round the back and then hoof it up for Harris or Goodrham to try and win aerially. If we wanted to play like that, at least start O’Donkor.

Playing an extra defender in lieu of an attacker also gives the players more of an excuse to pass backwards. The players want to keep the ball and build the attack, but with fewer forward options it makes that so much harder. I feel like most of the half went like this: Moore > Negru > Stevens > hooked up looking for a striker, possession lost.

The 3-4-3 also leaves too many square pegs in round holes, and is reminiscent of the end days of Robinson. No clue, no plan and no idea of even how we’re trying to play. That formation needs to go in my eyes.

The two goals we conceded were pathetic, and also both came not long after we had possession. One of them was a freekick to us, how the hell are we conceding a goal 20 seconds later?

Second half was much much better and is how we should be playing, with a 4-2-3-1 with attacking full-backs, actual wingers and Ruben in the number 10 role. Burey had a good impact with his pace and direct running, positioning can be improved as he was too close to Leigh at times, but that’s something to work on. Needs to start in the next game for me.

Should have had a penalty for a trip on Burey, and we did get one goal back - but you feel like because of the lack of attacking options we needed to score twice in that 20 minute spell to get something out of the game. After that we ran out of a bit of puff, and the third Rovers goal killed it really.

Moore was MOTM for me, Bran was solid too. Negru probably didn’t deserve to be taken off at HT, but Des got it wrong by bringing him in to start instead of Burey, and persisting with the three at the back.

I hope this game is a wake up call to the management - because performances like that simply aren’t good enough, and the tactics today were completely wrong in the first half. We should be starting games like we want to actually win them, like in the second half, rather than looking to pass teams to death without any bite.

Let’s get a couple more attackers in and regroup, with more of what we saw in the second half and much much less of what we saw in the first.
Sounds like a reasonable and balanced summary. No doubt you will get shouted down

Cummings
Long Moore Brown Leigh
Brannagan
Rodrigues Bodin
Murphy Goodwin Harris

This formation to start playing attacking football like we did in the second half

I don't blame him with Burey. When you have only one pace merchant available, you have to decide whether to bring them on as an impact player or not. Maybe he did well in the second half as the Rovers players were more tired. Maybe he wouldn't have made the same impacting if starting.

I am wondering how Short did so well and des isn’t considering short is still here. Does suggest there is a bit of a rift. The players seem a bit tactically lost. Worrying times

Burey done well in my opinion see what happens when u have abit of pace and run pass players gaps open up for everyone on the pitch

Need two fast wingers to join on loan or permeant and one powerful midfielder

We have 3 wingers who can do that but they are out Browne edwards and Murphy

Sounds a spitting image of KR at the minute can't decide which one is better 🤔
No one can be on par, least of all worse than KR. That man nearly ruined this club with contracts handed out like confetti regardless of age, ability, or injury. Des does seem to be sinking currently, but he’s several times the man Robinson is and was!

I am wondering how Short did so well and des isn’t considering short is still here. Does suggest there is a bit of a rift. The players seem a bit tactically lost. Worrying times
Short was also here under Robinson when we were playing our worst football in years. I don’t think we can treat Short’s short spell as a barometer of anything.

Short was also here under Robinson when we were playing our worst football in years. I don’t think we can treat Short’s short spell as a barometer of anything.
The short caretaker role is not a barometer as you note - neither is working alongside KR based on Mousinho / Portsmouth one might suggest.

Back
Top Bottom