Away Match Day Thread 27/01/2024 L1: Bristol Rovers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Defeat against Reading next week and things might get a bit ugly

This has been a pretty strong second half which Des must learn from. Absolutely infuriating that we set up as we did first half and didn't give smyth a go at CDM in the second. McGuane is *not* that player. Burley looks fun - the type of player we've not had since Whyte was in his pomp. Weirdly positive but Des really does need to stop prioritising theory over the obvious

The worst thing about this is not the result, it's the fact that we could have easily, easily won that. Every time we started playing the ball on the deck there was space open and the Rovers players (and fans) were sh*tting themselves.

Unfortunately you can't start from two goals down away from home and expect to get anything. A good manager sees that the set-up is wrong after the first goes in (a very good one does it before, a top manager doesn't play it to start with). Des has shown he can modify things and switch it up so I have no idea why we pootled along to half time before making a change.

As soon as the formation changed and Burey was given licence to run we made a better fist of things, but another Cumming error for the goal seals the deal.

F*cking p*ssed off right now. No excuses at all.

What really worries me is even when we are loosing we have no urgency in our play. We still don’t get the ball forward making 6 passes when 2 would have done. When the opposition attack we stand watching them. This is the same team (virtually) that started so well but they are also the same players that struggled last season. I feel it’s a good job we did start well or we would be in another relegation battle

Much better second half, got hit by a bit of a sucker punch. Based on the first half kind of got what we deserved.

Don't know what Stevens offers at this level. Still don't think Brown is good enough even if he is far better at CB than LB. McGuane I just don't understand as there's clearly a player in there but just 6/10 performances or lower far too often. Just hides.

McEachran being rusty only carries water for so long.

Harris works hard but is weak and isolated. Cumming poor today but will improve, likewise Leigh will get better with a few games.

Just very frustrating all in all.

The worst thing about this is not the result, it's the fact that we could have easily, easily won that. Every time we started playing the ball on the deck there was space open and the Rovers players (and fans) were sh*tting themselves.

Unfortunately you can't start from two goals down away from home and expect to get anything. A good manager sees that the set-up is wrong after the first goes in (a very good one does it before, a top manager doesn't play it to start with). Des has shown he can modify things and switch it up so I have no idea why we pootled along to half time before making a change.

As soon as the formation changed and Burey was given licence to run we made a better fist of things, but another Cumming error for the goal seals the deal.

F*cking p*ssed off right now. No excuses at all.
Burley was out on his feet after 45, no way he could have played the whole game. Not really many other options to change the system.

I know football is an emotive game but jeez …. And the alternative is, Baz? We’re not Reading going out of business. We’re a side just outside the playoffs having a rough patch.

Yeah, we lose matches and we’re not doing as well under Des as any of us hoped. However, if you cannot see that this side has some major limitations imposed upon from the manager before Manning, have a word. Did anyone really expect perfection? I never even predicted a playoff place. Just a top half finish as an anti tide to last season and steps in the right direction again.

A few days left of the window and I want some proper signings. Not ‘Tories counting hospitals’ style ‘signings’ by saying players who are already here are new signings. New players who are ready to play and start mucking in. All this talk of players being ready for April or bringing in injured players is B*****s. It needed a strong window and we haven’t had it yet.

You can forget the so many wins out of as the record is going downhill now somewhat

In the post match interviews i want to hear some honesty about where we are at the moment, performance wise.

We are nowhere near a promotion chasing team. Our level is bottom half, comfortably.

Empty rhetoric from boss and players isn't going to change things for the better. Right now the table IS telling fibs, so let's please not hide behind it.

Another awful performance. Really struggling for any positives at the moment . Beaten comfortably by a team that hadnt yet won in 2024 and hand on heart think we'll be lucky to finish top 10 . Personally think things run deeper than just blaming Buckingham, the whole assistant manager issue is an embassing shambles and if thats a gauge of general running of the club , no wonder theres a malaise.

I don't want to berate Buckingham (I think he's been dealt a poor hand) - but can't say that I have seen *anything* at all that makes me think he might be a good appointment as yet. They won't sack him though, even if he loses the next five games on the trot.

Dealt a poor hand ? What, taking over a team in 2nd ? What an awful situation to find himself in.

Back
Top Bottom