Away Match Day Thread +++ 26/12/2017 Gillingham v OUFC match day thread +++

Whatever the result the players must put in a performance, if they play like they did last game there is no way back and pep will have to consider his position

Gillingham in form, we have very little confidence. Silly kick off time. Probably 600 or so away fans.

We will probably win knowing Oxford.

We’re a few days older and with that comes more experience.... we’ll be fine ?

3-1 Gills.

Biggest challenge for the players today will be getting over the mental hurdle saturdays result will be playing on all of their minds or at least it should be! All of the players are professionals and should be able to concentrate on the game at hand and If Clotet plays a sensible team I think we could snatch a win. All depends on what team comes out. That defeat on Saturday is gone and we all need to move on, but if we have another poor performance serious questions need to be asked. I’m going for a 2-0 win.

Back four need to play 10 yards further up the field, that would help the midfield get a foothold in the game, also helps Wes with Payne/midfield closer to him. Sadly Williamson & Tiendalli are too slow for this to likely happen and we’ll get over run in the middle of the park again.

After Saturday I think it would be very fair and reasonable for Ledson and Rothwell to start in place of Xemi and Ruffels. Any other change is probably just tinkering and unlikely to make a huge difference. However I wouldn’t mind seeing Obika get a run of games.

If Xemi starts I’ll be questioning Pep’s sanity.

Heart says 2-1 Oxford, head says 3-1 Gills. I’d take a draw after Saturday.

Never predicted us to lose before and don't plan to now:
Eastwood
Carroll Mous Williamson Ricardinho
Ledson Ruffels
Henry Payne Rothwell
Thomas
1-2 to us, with Rothwell and Wes getting the goals. COYY

That’s the team I would play, Tiendalli and Xemi are obvious drops after Saturday but Mowett deserves to be left out as well, so many times he is near invisible in games that it’s like having ten men, he is far to slow to play as a left winger and if we can send him back January and use whatever he is costing towards a pacey, athletic left sided attacker the we should, he hasn’t worked out here.

Can Williamson play two games in a week? Ordinarily after shipping 7 and a centre back playing like he did that wouldn’t be a worry but the only possibility (assuming Raglan is still unavailable) is Aaron Martin, bringing him into a defence that just got torn to pieces given how bad he has been here could be disastrous. On the other hand I suppose it shows that Nartub needs to leave here for the good of his career if he is unpickable as a replacement for an aging defence that just got torn to pieces.

Changes are needed especially in CM
Eastwood
Carroll Mousinho Williamson Ricardinho
Ledson Mowatt
Henry Payne Rothwell
Obika
Thomas played full game Saturday so expect him to be rested, Mowatt wasted outwide so should be moved centrally, Carroll in for Tiendalli who was poor on Saturday.
Need a response urgently and think we will be good enough to do so. 2-1 Oxford Obika,Ricardinho scorers

I think it was Gillingham that played us a while back and hadn’t won for a record number of away games until they visited us.

Not feeling too hopeful and think it’ll be 0-1 to Gills. I reckon a few of ours enjoyed Christmas a bit much which will impact on the performance.

527 away fans

Dreading this game. I know after a bad defeat you want another game soon to get it out of the system, but this may be too early. If the players are still as shellshocked as I am I don't rate our chances.

BUT , If they show guts and show up there is no reason not to continue our recent record against Gillingham.

No score predictions from me. Just a small sliver of hope that they will prove they are men, not mice.

I reckon we’ll get a resolute draw out of this and hopefully build up some much needed confidence with a much improved display. Unfortunately Amersham Dave’s dog won’t be invading the pitch as he picked up a thigh injury on Christmas Eve trying to mount Rudolph!

As has been mentioned, Williamson probably knackered after Wigan. Can't say I saw that lineup coming, hopefully neither did Gills!
That is probably the case however,i'm not comfortable with Martin at CB and Carroll at Rb especially after Martin's assist for the winner against Northampton. If i remember correctly that's the right side that played against Northampton. Surely PEP will be hanging by a thread of string if we lose today? Okay we've haven't been the worst results wise until Wigan, but the performances have been woeful ever since the start of November, and something needs to change.

Quite an attacking line up that. Needs to be after the Wigan disaster.

Not even going to predict!

We’ll to be fair to Pep he’s done what most people were asking for with his team selection. All he needs to do now is work out tactics to win a football match and not pee everybody off with his post match interview...

Is Clotet doing his best to ensure that Jack Payne gets recalled?!?!?!

Back
Top Bottom