Home Match Day Thread 26/02/2022 L1: OUFC v Cambridge United

Why the large police presence at the end? They were even sat in unmarked cars.
The area was under a Section 60 following the stabbing on BBleys on Friday...was due to run out/ expire by 1pm , however TVP, once a section 60 has been issued, can extend it ...which it appears they did

was anyone stopped and searched?

Anyone else think Browne could play up front if we keep going with two forwards? I love Baldock and Taylor, but if we need a more counter attacking team, then I could see a 5-2-1-2 formation working. Browne is much better in the air than I remember too.

Stevens

Williams/Sykes
McNally
Moore
Brown/Long
Seddon

Kane
Brannagan

Whyte

Taylor/Baldock
Browne
I think after the last two games you have to start with Taylor/Baldock up front

I've not been on here since yesterday afternoon. I've posted something similar on another thread but wanted to say that whether Sam Smith:

• Had something to say about his time with us.
  • Wanted to make a name for himself
  • Was in the zone after scoring
  • Forgot what had gone on pre-match
... His actions were downright disrespectful and I'd be happy if I never saw him in Oxford again. I don't care about any apology on Twitter either.

The area was under a Section 60 following the stabbing on BBleys on Friday...was due to run out/ expire by 1pm , however TVP, once a section 60 has been issued, can extend it ...which it appears they did

was anyone stopped and searched?
I was patted down before entry to the stadium and I'm pretty pissed off about it. Wife tell me it's for my own safety as some may be carrying knives. I'm 73 FFS why search me and to start pat downs for this game in particular really irks.

I was patted down before entry to the stadium and I'm pretty pissed off about it. Wife tell me it's for my own safety as some may be carrying knives. I'm 73 FFS why search me and to start pat downs for this game in particular really irks.

Well I didn't going in to the east stand and haven't before. I did get patted down at mk dons though and I was with my 6 year old at the time..🙄

I would hope that we keep playing three at the back, with Long as one of the centre backs - he’s looked absolutely immense there, whereas he’s only been ok at right back this season.

Three at the back has brought the best out of Long, Moore and McNally and tightened up our defence. I don’t think it was a coincidence that we conceded two when we went back to a flat back four.

I agree about Williams though, I think he can play LWB/RWB in a back five, as well as in the hole behind the strikers if need be (but we have loads of players who can play there!)
I agree, I'd like to keep Long in a back three as, like you say, he's looked excellent there, and better than he's been at RB this season.

But Robbo has already said he wants to play a flat back four as his preferred choice, so I'd imagine he'll go back to that first chance he gets.

But I also prefer the 352 formation, as it means we can utilise Williams as a wing back, whilst allowing Brannagan more freedom, and allowing for two up top, which has really brought out the best in Taylor, who is so much better with a strike partner to work with.

I agree, I'd like to keep Long in a back three as, like you say, he's looked excellent there, and better than he's been at RB this season.

But Robbo has already said he wants to play a flat back four as his preferred choice, so I'd imagine he'll go back to that first chance he gets.

But I also prefer the 352 formation, as it means we can utilise Williams as a wing back, whilst allowing Brannagan more freedom, and allowing for two up top, which has really brought out the best in Taylor, who is so much better with a strike partner to work with.
I’m not sure if I agree tbh though I’m no tactician. Taylor is pretty great on his own and yesterday the wide players on the right seemed to get in each other’s way at times while we had litttle threat down the left. But it’s great that we now have a plan B and even a plan C.

Yes Browne looked really good in the air.
He could probably play as the number 10 in Whyte's position or one of the front 2.
Yes, going on yesterday's cameo showing, when fully fit, Browne should play instead of Whyte, who for me, apart from a couple of spells in a couple of games, when played on the right, hasn't really performed all season, and would probably be better as an impact sub, against a tiring defence.

Unless he plays on the right, for me, Whyte simply doesn't really offer much at all.

Yes, going on yesterday's cameo showing, when fully fit, Browne should play instead of Whyte, who for me, apart from a couple of spells in a couple of games, when played on the right, hasn't really performed all season, and would probably be better as an impact sub, against a tiring defence.

Unless he plays on the right, for me, Whyte simply doesn't really offer much at all.
... he’s got the second highest number of assists in league one

... he’s got the second highest number of assists in league one
How many of those assists have come when he's been playing on the right?

Genuine question, as I certainly don't know the answer to that, but I know he's provided assists when he's played on the right, which hasn't been often, but for me, he's been pretty ineffective when he plays more centrally.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm just not seeing the good work that he's doing, but I feel the only times I've seen him play well and really contribute, has been from the right.

It's so inconsistent. They didn't search my rucksack going into the East Stand.

I’m not sure if I agree tbh though I’m no tactician. Taylor is pretty great on his own and yesterday the wide players on the right seemed to get in each other’s way at times while we had litttle threat down the left. But it’s great that we now have a plan B and even a plan C.
Sorry but I can’t agree with any of this!

Taylor has looked great since being partnered with Baldock, I think one or both has scored in pretty much every game they’ve played together? Certainly Taylor has looked happier than when he’s toiling alone on his own up front at times.

Also lots of goals and chances against Cambridge came from Sykes and Williams combining down our right hand side, I’d say they played well together instead of getting in eachother’s way!

Just goes to show how differently everyone sees the game I suppose.

Whyte got assists for 3 of the goals at Charlton only a week ago.

Sorry but I can’t agree with any of this!

Taylor has looked great since being partnered with Baldock, I think one or both has scored in pretty much every game they’ve played together? Certainly Taylor has looked happier than when he’s toiling alone on his own up front at times.

Also lots of goals and chances against Cambridge came from Sykes and Williams combining down our right hand side, I’d say they played well together instead of getting in eachother’s way!

Just goes to show how differently everyone sees the game I suppose.
It worked out in the end and certainly worked at Charlton though that was a different formation. Great that we have these options

I've not been on here since yesterday afternoon. I've posted something similar on another thread but wanted to say that whether Sam Smith:

• Had something to say about his time with us.
  • Wanted to make a name for himself
  • Was in the zone after scoring
  • Forgot what had gone on pre-match
... His actions were downright disrespectful and I'd be happy if I never saw him in Oxford again. I don't care about any apology on Twitter either.
Just put it down to the fact the blokes a bit thick.

Whyte got assists for 3 of the goals at Charlton only a week ago.

Yes, and that was excellent.

However, at the risk of sounding like a nerd, out of curiosity, I’ve checked on the bbc sport website, and gone back on all our results, and of those 9 assists:

5 have come in two games, 3 against Charlton, when he was playing centrally, and one of those games he was on the right, and got two assists.

The rest have all come from him playing on the right wing, except for one, when he was on the left.

For me, with the exception of one great performance against Charlton, those stats suggest he’s much more effective when used on the right wing.

He wasn’t poor on Saturday, where he played centrally, but I certainly felt he was the weak link.

Yes, and that was excellent.

However, at the risk of sounding like a nerd, out of curiosity, I’ve checked on the bbc sport website, and gone back on all our results, and of those 9 assists:

5 have come in two games, 3 against Charlton, when he was playing centrally, and one of those games he was on the right, and got two assists.

The rest have all come from him playing on the right wing, except for one, when he was on the left.

For me, with the exception of one great performance against Charlton, those stats suggest he’s much more effective when used on the right wing.

He wasn’t poor on Saturday, where he played centrally, but I certainly felt he was the weak link.

Not sure i agree with your overall analysis here but i thought that your fact checking added weight to your argument and
while i don`t agree i can certainly see where you are coming from.

Back
Top Bottom