Home Match Day Thread 26/02/2022 L1: OUFC v Cambridge United

Cambridge fan here in peace, chaps. Wanted to echo our manager’s words really. Thought you handled a very difficult situation with class today and I’m sure Joey’s family were extremely touched by the tribute. Can only apologise for Smith’s behaviour - an embarrassment and certainly not representative of our club or what we are about. Hopefully he’ll have had a word in his ear from the manager and some of the more experienced players (Hoolahan etc). Anyway, all the best for the rest of the season. You have a very good side - dangerous going forward and you’ve every chance of going up, in my humble opinion.
Your fans were great this afternoon, thank you.

Cambridge fan here in peace, chaps. Wanted to echo our manager’s words really. Thought you handled a very difficult situation with class today and I’m sure Joey’s family were extremely touched by the tribute. Can only apologise for Smith’s behaviour - an embarrassment and certainly not representative of our club or what we are about. Hopefully he’ll have had a word in his ear from the manager and some of the more experienced players (Hoolahan etc). Anyway, all the best for the rest of the season. You have a very good side - dangerous going forward and you’ve every chance of going up, in my humble opinion.

Thanks so much for this.

Your fans were very respectful on a difficult day. We all respected that.

Good luck for the rest of the season - it was certainly a good contest.

It’s very nice of you to come on and say that. I thought your lot were pretty good and certainly hard to beat. They reminded me of Cheltenham, who we also struggled to deal with. You should certainly get a top half finish and then press on next season.

Cheers .
I think your team have a good future in league one .

FMh-1U9XIAEcIfJ

Thanks for your kind words, your fans were a credit to your club today, as was your manager, who spoke very well after the game.

Good luck for the rest of the season, and thanks again, your fans and manager are a class act.

A shame the same can't be said for that half-wit Sam Smith, who let your club down badly today, and was, like you say, an embarrassment.

Still, at least we can take comfort in the fact that when his career ends, he will be very quickly forgotten, just like he was when we sent him back from his awful loan, he was so forgettable, I'd forgot all about him, until I saw his name on your team sheet!

Sam Smith actions were an embarrassment to both himself and his club, which is a shame when you see the class of their manager post match, the comments from a Cambridge fan earlier, notwithstanding the respect I understand the Cambridge fans showed (iFollow disappointingly didn’t show the pre-match tribute). This said, in respect to Joey, and many who suffer from mental health, I’ll leave it there on Sam Smith. We don’t know his backstory and therefore who knows the impact comments on Twitter, may or may not have on the individual. It wasn’t good, and hopefully his management team will address it in the most appropriate way.

Can I keep echo the sentiments of others, you were a credit to your team and very respectful. You have a good team. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Very well spoken. Not the usual nonsense you get from beaten managers, he said it pretty much how it was.

The only thing I'd disagree with is his comment about our 2 opening goals being poor yet their goals were good. If he is saying our goals were poor from a defensive standpoint then the same can be leveled at their 2 goals, as the 1st was poor defending and we gave them the ball for the 2nd while Jack Stevens didn't exactly cover himself in glory either for it.

Putting Smiths dimness to one side, I thought he was one of the most threatening strikers we’ve faced this season. Unrecognisable from the immobile, heavy touch, non scoring player we had. I was edgy every time the ball was played towards him.

McNally is going to be immense. So much time on the ball, just glides across the turf. Will we be able to keep hold of him, that is the question. We had the stats on Stevens last week regarding goals conceded low into the bottom right corner. Same again today. Need to see EFL to get clearer picture.

Smith was a tool for reacting like that on a day like today. That said, he was so forgettable when he was here that I was getting him mixed up with the young lad (Carlton Morris - had to check that out to find the name) we had in Mapps first half season. In all he's really not worth worrying about. He's come on as a player, but obviously not matured as a person. Other than that Cambridge were class today in all the stuff celebrating and remembering Joey, manager a class act too during game and in interview afterwards. Seemed to get on well with KR too, but think they have a common link in Shaun Derry. Thanks Cambridge and have a good rest of season.

Due to some back pain issues that was the first game I've been to since the first covid lockdown. Worth every bit of pain to pay tribute to Joey, a fantastic football match but such an emotional day.

We are very lucky to have Karl Robinson, a class act off the pitch, a rare gem of a manager who gets the club and puts in so much time and effort into every part of our club.

He gets us playing high tempo, attacking, passing football and although that doesn't always work against more physical sides I'd much rather be a team that plays in such a style. He deserves more patience than most managers receive in the modern game.

Back
Top Bottom