Home Match Day Thread +++ 25/9/18 OUFC v Manchester City Match day thread+++

Slightly disappointed that we didn't show them our physical side a bit more. I would have liked to see us clatter into a couple challenges and rough them up. Incidentally, didn't Hanson have a reputation for this kind of thing before he came here? Not really seen it.

He has just come back from a 4 game ban!

Amazed by some of the comments on here, i wasn't there but did watch it on French tv and i think a bit of realism is needed..to suggest we could/should of had more of a go at them when is so alarmingly obvious there is nothing up front to go at them with and not only that but the last 2 goals showed that when you do have a few more forward they'll tear you to pieces in the blink of any eye.

we kept men behind the ball kept a shape and tried to make it as difficult as possible similar to Atkins against Arsenal...we are not talking about beating a swansea or Newcastle 2nd string, this was a team that walked the toughest league in football breaking records along the way.

Think some are being churlish on here. An enjoyable evening.

Thought we defended very well and the decision to pack the penalty area and give them the flanks generally worked.

Long was up to the pace - a pleasing performance.

Like 3 in midfield as well.

As for City, their pressing and muck and nettles stuff is unbelievably good. Far better at the basics than us.

All their players blend into team ethic, there are no stand out players. A pleasure to watch them. And also a pleasure to see us try our damndest.

That volleyed pass by Zivchenko in second half will not be forgotten. Brilliant.

COYY
Ps Obika is far more effective than Smith.
Yes I liked City - incredible athletes and so fast, disciplined, and professional. Seemed a sporting bunch and it was good to see Guardiola taking it very seriously and getting a bit wound up.

was disappointed by smith surely he can be better. Baptiste is a gem he has got the lot only faded once the match was lost one of the few rays of light atm

To be honest by the end I was glad it was over.

We didn't disgrace ourselves against comfortably the best players to grace our stadium. We were never really a threat against a team who played in 2nd gear but 3-0 is better then a lot of teams in their league will do.

I know their style is lauded by people the world over but I was shocked how bored I was watching! It was the equivalent of watching a Wladmir Klitscko fight in his pomp when the opponent had no chance.

Massive games coming up now, time for the players and manager to roll up their sleeves and earn their crust.

Reasonable report online in the Independent (sorry, no idea how to link) but a glaringly obvious error to amuse Looton and irritate me. Does it really take that much effort to get the facts right?

Better than I expected. Thought we looked pretty solid defensively, bar Long but seemed like KR chucked him in the deep end anyway. I thought Baptiste stood out (again) + Whyte looked dangerous.
Without wanting to repeat what I read on here five times a day, we need a ST. Beeks had a great chance to score from that throw in after the GK missed it, just didn't look like he wanted to attack the ball. I know he was offside but terrible effort when 1-on-1 first half.
Hopefully Brannagan's knock wasn't serious + hopefully tonight's performance will give us a boost for Saturday.
Long played very well, for a lad who hasn't been playing week in week out, he was my MOM.

Foot all is a game of managing space. You can't cover the whole pitch. You therefore decide to be narrow or wide. As a massive underdog against a team like City you have to concede something somewhere. Conceding the wide areas was the percentage call and it worked. In the words of Guardiola himself, " the touchline is the world's best defender"

"you cant cover the whole pitch"

They have 11 players covering the whole pitch,why can't we ?

It's OK saying you set out to defend narrow,but in the few times that Foden got closed down,he knew all he had to do was hit it wide,either side to an unmarked player,same with Stones and Kompany.

If you set out to lose by as few as possible,then ok it worked,if you want to have even the smallest chance,then it doesn't.

If you say you lose because they had better players than us,fair enough,if you say you lose because we aren't as fit as them,then we have a problem.

Last edited:
It was fun enough tonight, good atmosphere and a pleasure to have some (more!) quality players playing our lot. It is in some way a testament to us that, in this game against the champs, we saw exactly the same Oxford we've seen all season.

Our weaknesses tonight have been our weaknesses all season. The keepers kicking, ponderous bringing the ball out from the back, the lateral passing, the lack of options, players going off injured, Obika holding it up occasionally but not having a single shot, no real attacking threat, the insistence on 4231 even with both Smith and Obika on the pitch... All same old same old.

It's testament to us because, despite some geniune scares, had we done something about those things, we'd have REALLY given City something to think about.

So whilst RadOx were talking of 'Just what we needed' in terms of performance, I'll be unusually pessimistic and say it was more 'exactly what we've been getting'.

Robbo now has, imo, games against Wimbledon, Luton and Southend to save his job...
I am not sure that you watched the same game as me?
The same 4 2 3 1? Really?
I thought that there was a clear change in formation. Branaghan came in for Henry giving us three in midfield with Hanson and Shandon. So 43 2 1 which changed to 2 up front when Smith came on for Holmes (not that playing 2 up front against Man City does you much good!)

I am not sure that you watched the same game as me?
The same 4 2 3 1? Really?
I thought that there was a clear change in formation. Branaghan came in for Henry giving us three in midfield with Hanson and Shandon. So 43 2 1 which changed to 2 up front when Smith came on for Holmes (not that playing 2 up front against Man City does you much good!)

Brannagan played the middle of the three between Holmes and Whyte, but I expect with the proviso to drop into support Hanson and Baptiste.When Smith came on Obika took up a wide role on the right, Henry down the middle and Whyte left.

KR is an idiot. The crowd were chanting about hating Kassam and he claps the crowd. Sorry, but that is just ridiculous from a manager.

Anyone notice the difference in the warm up procedures ?
We had kick abouts,a drill(that my kids team does) of a player passing to another one,who lays it off to a player who shoots(usually into the East stand)

They were in 4s and 5s,doing muscle work with them stretchy things,then a little short passing work,keepers working with individual coaches,no goals no shooting

If we need to practice shooting prior to the game,WTF do we do all week ?

Anyone notice the difference in the warm up procedures ?
We had kick abouts,a drill(that my kids team does) of a player passing to another one,who lays it off to a player who shoots(usually into the East stand)

They were in 4s and 5s,doing muscle work with them stretchy things,then a little short passing work,keepers working with individual coaches,no goals no shooting

If we need to practice shooting prior to the game,WTF do we do all week ?

Here’s what City we’re doing in their pre-match warm up;

Back
Top Bottom