Away Match Day Thread 23/03/2021 L1 Northampton Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is maybe so, but there were equal amounts of posters on here with praise when the team went on a record breaking winning run. The test was always going to be if the manager was capable enough when the team finally did lose a game to get them back into a winning mould. We bounced back from the Doncaster defeat well with 2 scrappy wins, but we have never recovered from the Tranmere defeat and the manager has now completely lost the formula to pick these players back up, his constant tinkering with the team, formation and tactics demonstrate that he doesn't really know how to deal with it.

And it was obvious that the January transfer window required back up at right back and left back (after Obita was sold) because if either Long or Ruffels got injured the team would be seriously deficient in how they could play bearing in mind both of these players were really the catalyst for the 9 game winning run. Failed to get cover, Long got injured, we haven't been the same team since. Many of the team's current problems were foreseeable by any competent football coach or analyst, so could have been avoided if jobs were done properly. Whether there was a lack of support from the top is another question, the fact that we got McNally, Lee, Barker and Grayson in January suggests they were supportive, it's just that we got the wrong players in the wrong positions in. We didn't need Lee, Henry and Sykes already covered his position. We did need someone to cover Centre Back so signing Grayson was understandable, but he has proved really disappointing so good intention, wrong player selected. McNally was a long term project so is accepted and was never intended to be a part of this seasons promotion push. Barker is a player any team would want, but he has gone into Shodipo's position from where he was scoring for fun albeit maybe his overall performances were patchy, and since he has lost his left attack role Shodipo has turned rubbish, whilst Barker hasn't exactly set the team alight either when he really should be bossing every game at this level with the quality he clearly has.

Can't agree with the highlighted, Henry has been injured and Sykes doesn't have a goal or assist to his name!

Speaking personally I'm not usually pissed off enough to bother after a win.

But it's not just a defeat, it's both the nature of the defeat and the timing. Having lost to Blackpool on Saturday, who were clearly a better team on the day, we still had the chance of getting into the play off spots. (as it transpired Blackpool won and took the spot)
For KR to come out and declare that his intention was to 'achieve' 0-0 after 60 minutes against a side short of victories and edging towards relegation and, to boot, a team that we trounced 4-0 at home, is just a red rag to supporters.
We actually have a manager who considers 0-0 an achievement. No wonder we are negative, we've been inspired by KR himself.
Do you honestly believe that was his intent or could what he have meant been, given how poor we were he was content that we were not losing?

Did he just have everyone get changed quickly and straight onto the bus or was the changing room door locked and words exchanged?

Were the players not told to "stop" all this backwards and sideways passing and going backwards when we have a set piece, which he followed up with if that's what they were going to do Dan Agyei may as well not been there and remained sat next to him.

Was it not made clear what is expected over the next 10 games and the players responded and everyone has a positive mindset

it was also made clear how much the players like and wish to play for him, something mentioned by Sk and Beano after the game

Sooner Robinson fucks off the better that was an absolute shambles,so arrogant of him to put that side out just so he can look good in front of the cameras Friday night. Post match interview was a farce, you got a yes man asking shite questions and not 1 question was asked on the starting 11
I think the current 'media' interviews are being done by club officials due to C19. Hopefully we will be back to the external media doing the post-match interviews in the new season as they can be more objective and ask the occasional difficult question.

On any given day, Robinson can be a superb or an appalling manager. Just like them all.

Start to judge over a longer period, say a season, and I would say that his first was a huge underachievement (made to feel better than it was by the run at the end), the second he met expectations of a playoff place but couldn’t get them over the line, and this one is another underachievement, but one that feels to me more frustrating the the first.

Why?

Because he’s had time and resources to ensure progression in the playing squad, its style, tactical flexibility and know how. We’ve regressed in all areas this season, and badly at that. I’d argue that L1 is poorer this season, too.

After 3 years, he’s got us to the lofty heights of a mid-table L1 side that has not progressed. For me, that’s not good enough and I am very surprised that it’s good enough for the owners.

I think the current 'media' interviews are being done by club officials due to C19. Hopefully we will be back to the external media doing the post-match interviews in the new season as they can be more objective and ask the occasional difficult question.

Not just that, the fans will voice their displeasure at the final whistle. At the moment the manager and players put in a shite performance and can hide. Imagine that scum game at home with a full house it wouldn't of been a nice atmosphere for sure.

I'm as disappointed as everyone else after last night - but I'm not going to call for KR's head by any means. The last manager overhaul we had when we were flirting between midtable and playoffs gave us Pep and a close run relegation battle with easily the worst Oxford side since MApp took over (Xemi, GvK, Mehmeti, Pekalski and Tiendalli, anyone?!). Thankfully Karl came in, steadied the ship, beat relegation, gave us lower mid table the following season, a brilliant season last year where we smashed expectations only to be stopped by first Covid, and second a masterclass in how to throw a big game from Henry and Easty, then this season back to where we probably should be given the budget and, more importantly, stadium restraints.

I think KR's biggest issue when it comes to recruitment is he seems to look for potential in every player he signs. We seem to sign a lot of "this player could be amazing if he lives up to his potential". Often it works, Whyte, Browne, Moore, Atkinson, Fosu, Cadden, Gorrin. But equally it has lumped us with a number of players who once were very solid championship players, but now can't stay fit enough to walk out the treatment room ie Holmes, Carruthers, Winnall, Thorne, Lee, Hanson, or players who are wildly inconsistent or downright rubbish, ie Garbutt, Sinclair, Jonte and Sam Smith, Woodburn, Kelly, Grayson, Shodipo. One thing that we don't seem to do anywhere near enough is sign reliable, fit league one quality players. Sure, they probably won't do much in a Championship side, but they'll give you 7/10 performances every week in League 1.

When MApp took us up, he lost some cracking players in Hylton, CoD and Roofe. But he made sure to bring in solid League 1 players in Easty, Nelson, Martin, Edwards, Marvin Johnson, Wes Thomas, Rob Hall (not so much now) as well as the punts (Lego, Rothwell, Hemmings etc.). 7 players in one window. In the three seasons, 6 windows Karl has had the only players he's brought in that could be seen the same light are Forde and Matty, and maybe Kashi. 3 in 6 windows. That is where our big issue lies in my opinion. In this squad the only solid, reliable L1 players we have are Matty, Ruffs, Long and Forde. Cam, Moore, Atkinson and Stevens will go onto bigger and better things, but the rest of the squad are either far to inconsistent, injury prone, or both. You can't get promoted with only 8 consistent performers.
Yes Karl will never sign a good solid lad, he’s always got to be clever. Which is fine unless you end up with half the team permanently injured because we took a gamble on them.

Of course the intention was not to play for a 0-0, the inference is to not be behind after 60 minutes after which we could turn the screw if we hadn't already got a lead (and if Jack hadn't gone off script, we would probably have done that).

Whether that was the right way to approach the game is a far bigger stick to beat the manager with rather than his clumsy attempts to be clever with words which are so easily taken too literally.

Of course the intention was not to play for a 0-0, the inference is to not be behind after 60 minutes after which we could turn the screw if we hadn't already got a lead (and if Jack hadn't gone off script, we would probably have done that).

Whether that was the right way to approach the game is a far bigger stick to beat the manager with rather than his clumsy attempts to be clever with words which are so easily taken too literally.

A listen to this excerpt from his post match interview leads me to think otherwise. What other interpretation would you take from this?

What i still cant get my head around, even after sleeping on it, is that a man who days earlier stated ambitions to take us into the top 30 sets up for a nil nil against the team 4th bottom. It just does not compute.
God knows. Suddenly putting a reserve defender into midfield is what you do if you’re away to Liverpool during an injury crisis.

God knows. Suddenly putting a reserve defender into midfield is what you do if you’re away to Liverpool during an injury crisis.
In fairness, Grayson was touted as a utility man.

"I’ve known about Joe for a long time and I want to thank Blackburn for their help because they have been excellent with us. He has a very good left foot and covers us at left-back, left sided centre-half or in a holding role in midfield. I even saw him play left wing on loan at Grimsby but I don’t think that’s really his best position."
KR

Cold harsh light of day after the shitstorm of last night... Im feeling almost as low as I did after the collapse at home to scum. .. no team will win every game at l1 level, and in this weird season theres been more than a few eyebrow raising results, as the cliche goes, anyone can beat anyone. Putting that to one side, I dont like it when Oxford United lose, Even though as another cliche goes, you cant win em all. Losing to Blackpool hurt, but the U's lost to a much better footballing side.
Last night KRs sheer arrogance and tactical naivety was the main factor in losing to a very poor northampton side, who nicked a win. He evidently thought he knew best . Its not the losing, albeit I don't like it, is how the team play and how they lose (on the occasion of defeat) that is a huge factor for me. Doncaster away losing 3-2 and playing really well is one where a decent performance didnt win any thing, last nights debacle was a capitulation and poor team performace ( with one or maybe 2 individuals giving it thier all to no avail)

Whats the odds of getting 3 draws and 7 wins from the remaining 10 l1 matches?

It IS a funny old game....especially so this mainly behind closed doors season
@Sarge I don't think Blackpool were a much better "footballing side" they took advantage of 2 poor defensive errors.

We played very well away at Doncaster and yet when we beat them last week convincingly we read it was because they were poor

KR is often accused of having no Plan B yet gets slated for actually trying something different last evening (from the outset) Now with games every 3/4 days players have to be looked after more than ever. Would fans prefer the side last evening that on paper should have been good enough against Northampton without risking injuries to resting players but knowing sides are well capable of beating one another or against a much stronger on paper Lincoln side.

You can bet a pound to a penny that if we beat Lincoln what we will likely read is those players should have played Tuesday

In fairness, Grayson was touted as a utility man.

"I’ve known about Joe for a long time and I want to thank Blackburn for their help because they have been excellent with us. He has a very good left foot and covers us at left-back, left sided centre-half or in a holding role in midfield. I even saw him play left wing on loan at Grimsby but I don’t think that’s really his best position."
KR

He might be a utility player, but he isn't good enough for league 1.

@Sarge I don't think Blackpool were a much better "footballing side" they took advantage of 2 poor defensive errors.

They were better drilled, better organised and more competitive. Overall they were more competent.

That's what matters.

I agree but weren’t there a few on here who were saying we need a RB as long isn’t good enough, they need to gone themselves a wobble. Long has been immense although Gorrin we do know of his importance of being in the team but the last few games haven’t been his best.
Bazzer
I was one saying that. Long is a decent right back and Gorrin is a decent holding midfielder but if we want promotion we need better and indeed have had better not so long ago

Karl should be able to swap the players and expect a performance they train together most days you listen to the style of play wanted most days. And let's be honest we were better in the first half last night when we made changes to the team we should have started with ? We were worst it is a squad game. I have Avery good friend who played for Spurs in the late 60s who played over 40 games before Xmas when there was only one sub different days.

Bazzer
I was one saying that. Long is a decent right back and Gorrin is a decent holding midfielder but if we want promotion we need better and indeed have had better not so long ago
They’ve been two of our best players, Long is probably poty. You can always improve but I’m not sure why you’re focusing on them.

What an interview with KR. The interviewer hardly got a word in. What rubbish spouted by the manager. And as for.Jerome Sale. Talking more about goal line technology than the abject performance dished out last night. I was just sitting there praying he would put the boot in, but as usual, no. SK got it right. They never came out of the dressing room after half time. I am sure you all heard that interview, but I just have to get it off my chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom