Away Match Day Thread 23/03/2021 L1 Northampton Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Staff member
Once more into the breech. This time the boys will bring 3 points home.

Season defining week.

Win & Blackpool fail to beat Peterborough... we go in to the Lincoln game on Friday in the play offs.

Chance to gain 6 points on everyone around us before Saturday. Won’t get a bigger chance all season to put our stamp on the play offs.

Come on Oxford 🤞🏼

I very much hope you are right. After what I saw on saturday it is very hard to predict anything for today. My main problem was the lack of movement up front. Whenever Barker or Shodipo had the ball everyone just stopped and watched them so not surprisingly they just shot. Absolutely no team play just individuals. This is something Karl must address right now, we have talented players but they need to play as a team. Players are not showing for the ball and not looking to make things happen. So many safe backwards and sideways passes not enough forward runs or passes. Not sure I can manage another first half like the last one I might just listen instead! COYY

Northampton were comfortably the worst team we have faced this season, IMO.
If we don't get the three points tonight then mentally I think that's promotion gone, however you spin it and no matter what the table looks like.
Massive, massive game.
Let's go mad and say 3-0 to the Yellows with an Agyei hat-trick (he is exactly the right fit for this game for me).

I think KR intends to play Agyei from the start, resting Taylor for Friday. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gorrin is also kept aside for the Lincoln game. And probably Barker too. Whether we fulfil everyone’s expectations about a win this evening will depend on whether the midfield slips into gear - and whether (please!) we START with the handbrake OFF.

I just hope that our players are far more respectful of Northampton than some supporters seem to be.
They were very poor at the Kassam.
But in March so far they have beaten Plymouth 2 0, Pompey 4 1 and have drawn at Donny.
They are scrapping for every point.
We just need to win. It really doesn't matter too much how we do it.

Northampton were comfortably the worst team we have faced this season, IMO.
If we don't get the three points tonight then mentally I think that's promotion gone, however you spin it and no matter what the table looks like.
Massive, massive game.
Let's go mad and say 3-0 to the Yellows with an Agyei hat-trick (he is exactly the right fit for this game for me).
I would give that accolade to Burton, not often i feel embarrased for the oppostion, at 0-3
after 30 mins i even said to my lad i was starting to feel sorry for them and that was a 1st !
A proper pub team that JFH has done brilliantly to turn around.

I`m not going to be calling it season over if we lose tonight, while you are absolutley right to
point out the mental effect i think that can work both ways, with returning players and in
front of the cameras i would expect a reaction v Lincoln.

Not having a go at you btw, i just thought you brought up some points that were worth
talking about.

I think tonight will be the game that extinguishes playoff hopes in honesty. We were wretched on Saturday and Northampton in some OK form. We need massive improvement.

Very much hope im wrong of course.

Players should be well up for this one. Karl was visibly peeved at the Blackpool performance and will have given them a rocket. That coupled with the potential to get into the playoffs with a win should be more than enough motivation to absolutely fly at them from minute 1 like we did Doncaster. As much as the fixtures are in our favour for a playoff run, we HAVE to be winning this game because the likes of Sunderland, Gillingham, Accrington and Lincoln will probably take at least 2 points from us each. Lose this and the need to beat one of those four may end up our undoing in the push.

Is it a "must win" game? Asking for a friend.................. :)

Feels like it.

We will... 2-1 to us.

I think tonight will be the game that extinguishes playoff hopes in honesty. We were wretched on Saturday and Northampton in some OK form. We need massive improvement.

Very much hope im wrong of course.
"Some OK form"

Lost at home to Crewe on Saturday
Drew 0-0 with Doncaster
Lost 2-1 to Charlton
2 wins in their last 16 league games.

Yep, that is some OK form alright. s**t OK form, to be precise.

"Some OK form"

Lost at home to Crewe on Saturday
Drew 0-0 with Doncaster
Lost 2-1 to Charlton
2 wins in their last 16 league games.

Yep, that is some OK form alright. s**t OK form, to be precise.
Northampton have 7 points from their last 6 games. We have 8 points from our last 6 games. They also did manage to beat Portsmouth 4-1 and Plymouth 2-0 which are decent results.

By all means criticise GUK for being a miserable negative Nigel, but if we’re going to say Northampton’s recent form is poor then so is ours!

Northampton have 7 points from their last 6 games. We have 8 points from our last 6 games. They also did manage to beat Portsmouth 4-1 and Plymouth 2-0 which are decent results.

By all means criticise GUK for being a miserable negative Nigel, but if we’re going to say Northampton’s recent form is poor then so is ours!

Did I claim otherwise?

Even a draw tonight could see us fly up three places! I also think we’ll edge this one 1:2 with abit of backs against the wall/defending like 🦫 towards the end!

Northampton simply don't have the players to press us like Blackpool did. If they play that way we will cut them to shreads. But time is also running out for them so they can't afford to sit back and steal a point.

We haven't got too many options, but I'd start with Dan upfront, Shodipo on the left and Sykes on the right. Dan and Mide have a style that compliments each other, and it gives us the option to bring Barker on to either flank later in the game. Midfield I'd stick with Gorrin, Brannagan and Kelly. It didn't work on Saturday but I still think they're our most effective 3.

Early goal of Mide, another from Dan before half time and a late one from Matty will do nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom