Away Match Day Thread 23/03/2021 L1 Northampton Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Long has been brilliant after his first injury, and your argument we need better for promotion then that will apply to all the first team needing to better.
Yes Bazzer

I would say Stevens, Moore,Atkinson,Branagan,Agyei and Taylor are good enough

Eastwood,Long,Ruffels,Gorrin,Clare and Forde
good back up players

Henry would be in this group but on this season his best days may be past him

It’s the rest where we need to really get quality players
Those players are out there and maybe some will have to be loans egBrowne/Barker etc but what we really miss is that Baptiste like player
Mc Guane may be that player but we didn’t really see enough of him

Yes Bazzer

good back up players

Those players are out there and maybe some will have to be loans egBrowne/Barker etc but what we really miss is that Baptiste like player
Sorry but none of those players you have listed are championship players, it may sound harsh and yes I do like them but they’re not championship players and there is no sentiment in football, you either are or you either not and if so time for you to move on.

Sorry but none of those players you have listed are championship players, it may sound harsh and yes I do like them but they’re not championship players and there is no sentiment in football, you either are or you either not and if so time for you to move on.
Sorry Bazzer

I mean those players are good enough to get us promotion as for the league above

Stevens and Agyei could become very good but are raw at the moment
Moore and Atkinson remind me of Dickie and Dunkley and they have made it in the Championship

Taylor hasn’t really made it in the championship I would agree

Sooner Robinson fucks off the better that was an absolute shambles,so arrogant of him to put that side out just so he can look good in front of the cameras Friday night. Post match interview was a farce, you got a yes man asking shite questions and not 1 question was asked on the starting 11
3 games in 6 days.

Don't matter to must as we must look like Champions League contenders every week or else we're just a s**t mid table team with s**t players and manager

How dare they have a poor performance or dare lose a game of football.

In what respects do you think the team have progressed during Mr. Robinson's tenure?*

* Please remember he's not in charge of paying bills or public relations.

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Brannagan Gorrin McGuane
Henry Taylor Barker

For me that’s our strongest XI, Only 6 of that started last night..

Win 7 of our last 10 and we finish on 74. Never write off the Ox

Yes Bazzer

good back up players

I've woken up in the wrong universe if we know Agyei is good enough and Long isn't.

Right, this.

I’ve said this dozens of times before and I’m glad somebody else has flagged this at long last. He’s constantly trying to retrain people and change their position, and banging on about how they need to learn to play a different way. Clare turned up in the summer with no idea as to how to play right back - he openly said he was having to study right backs to learn the role, watching videos and the like because he’s learning it from scratch - and then has to learn on the job against established League One players. And people wonder why he looked poor and stood out as part of another bad start to the season? He was an attacking midfielder at Hearts and even wore the number 9 shirt for a time, but of course we know he plays somewhere else really. There’s just no way he can’t be improved and moulded by our incredible coaching that sees things nobody else does, including the players themselves. If only we had Clare now, eh, given everybody is saying we need an attacking midfielder who can carry the ball forward with a bit of pace. Well, we signed one on a three year deal, but then we lobbed him at right back, moved him further forward after a while where he was instantly better, and then loaned him out.

We see this obsession with ‘improving’ players fairly often. Agyei can be a winger, Mackie can become a striker as his legs have gone, Hanson can go in at right back, same for Forde, Clare’s another, Woodburn can play four different roles, Sykes can go... well, all over the bloody place it seems. We’re regularly being told there are players who need to learn to play somewhere else or who can do a job. Here’s a thought... sign players who play in the position you want improving and just make them better at it? Sign a right back and improve them? Sign a winger and improve them? Sign a midfielder and improve them? Worst case scenario they’re a bit average and hopefully get better over time, best case scenario they’re decent to begin with and soon become very good. Maybe we would actually start a season fairly well if we weren’t always shuffling players around and trying to retrain some of them, and if on top of that we didn’t seem to regularly be bringing in players who aren’t fit or are carrying knocks that then turn into injuries. It’s always about potential. “They’ll be better when they learn a new role. They’ll be great once they get fit. They’re a real asset if we can get to the bottom of the injury.”

I would love to just sign players who play the roles we want them to play, and who are fit and ready. But maybe that just isn’t sexy enough.

EDIT: I’ve seen the squad cap cited as a reason why you need players moving all over the place. Even with a 20-man limit of players over 21 that’s basically two players for every role. You can have two keepers, four full backs, three centre backs, five centre midfielders, four wingers and two centre forwards who are all over 21, and that’s fine. That’s without anybody genuinely being able to play two roles or including anybody under 21.
I think there is definitely an element of some players being more than capable of playing several roles. Sam Long is a very capable RB and CB, and even half decent at LB. Mous had a really good season at CDM when we nearly went down, then moved to CB and probably would've played the entire season last season if not for the emergence of Moore. Forde and Hanson are both capable at RB too, although a lot more limited than Sam. But the difference with those four is they have proven they're capable and you can trust them to do a job. Where it get's really frustrating is when a player is consistently poor or consistently inconsistent in a/multiple positions, because clearly they haven't had the opportunity to properly learn each position. Sykes in particular is one that really suffers from this. He's played in the 6, the 8, the 10 and out wide on both sides, and never had a solid run in any of the positions. Because of this he is extremely mediocre in each position and rarely ever excels. That's not just a Sykes problem, because how can you learn if your position changes several times, sometimes in the same game? Injuries and squad caps are 100% relevant in this, but we have plenty of players in each of Sykes' positions; it's possible to allow him to focus on one and let Forde/Shodipo/Henry/Barker focus on the wings or Kelly/Bran/Gorrin/Hanson/Forde on the CMs.

For what it's worth, I'm not entirely in agreement with you on Agyei, I think he is a capable winger and any team in the bottom half would love to have him as a winger; but when Winnall is the other backup striker option Agyei should be nowhere near the wing. And I think he has definitely suffered from Sykes Syndrome too in that as a winger he's told to be a mean bastard and get angry and help the defence and support the attack, but then as a striker he's told to be selfish and shoot on site and bully the CBs. What we've now got is a capable player who often drops too deep to help defend when playing in strike and is too selfish when playing on the wing and taking on shots when a better pass is there. He needs to be committed to either winger or striker so he can develop the game in one position because right now he's very average at both with flashes of brilliance. I will agree that he's currently definitely a much better striker than winger.

And Clare... Clare has suffered from Cadden being bloody brilliant and Atkinson and Mous being injured. KR wanted Cadden back, didn't get him. So he tried to turn Clare into Cadden and it didn't work because Clare can't defend. Not his fault, he's being told to learn a brand new position in a bloody tough league. Ordinarily it would have been a case of oh well, Sam can go back into RB and no harm done. But then Atkinson gets injured, we spent the window chasing O'Donnell and didn't get him, then Mous's knees break down and suddenly we're left with only Sam with any CB experience, Hanson on the treatment table, Forde needing to cover Cam in CM, meaning Clare was stuck. In the end as much as people are vilifying KR for loaning out Clare, I think Clare needed to get away to get his confidence back because the chain of events above meant he was being rinsed every week and a fresh start with no lingering judgement will be beneficial as we're seeing now.

On the squad cap, I think we've really suffered from it because our youth academy is still a year or three away from containing potential league 1 talents. Other teams have been able to get around injuries by playing youngsters, whereas most of ours are only out on their first loans, or still under 18. We all know how the academy was gutted by Kassam and it's taken a long time to recover, and whilst we've had Shandon, Callum, Sam and Jack come through, they're four of hundreds who haven't made it. Whereas now I think we're looking at 8-10 players in our current setup who could genuinely make it, but they're all too inexperienced to be considered for league 1 (other than LCP who I think has looked decent in his cameos). Lofthouse is doing well this year, so I think we'll see him and LCP given a real shot pre season and hopefully they can prove themselves like Stevens and Atkinson did last pre season.

In what respects do you think the team have progressed during Mr. Robinson's tenure?
* Please remember he's not in charge of paying bills or public
Is that the right question? 10th in league one is about right for us in terms of size of club, but it takes a lot of work to keep us there, you can't just assume we can jog along and not be overhauled by new pretenders. It's hard to make substantive progress when you need to sell your best players every year. Where we haven't progressed is improving our recruitment process to make it less of a last minute panic every time. Where we have progressed is things like the training ground and the development of youth, which Robinson has at least had a hand in.

Right, this.

I’ve said this dozens of times before and I’m glad somebody else has flagged this at long last. He’s constantly trying to retrain people and change their position, and banging on about how they need to learn to play a different way. Clare turned up in the summer with no idea as to how to play right back - he openly said he was having to study right backs to learn the role, watching videos and the like because he’s learning it from scratch - and then has to learn on the job against established League One players. And people wonder why he looked poor and stood out as part of another bad start to the season? He was an attacking midfielder at Hearts and even wore the number 9 shirt for a time, but of course we know he plays somewhere else really. There’s just no way he can’t be improved and moulded by our incredible coaching that sees things nobody else does, including the players themselves. If only we had Clare now, eh, given everybody is saying we need an attacking midfielder who can carry the ball forward with a bit of pace. Well, we signed one on a three year deal, but then we lobbed him at right back, moved him further forward after a while where he was instantly better, and then loaned him out.

We see this obsession with ‘improving’ players fairly often. Agyei can be a winger, Mackie can become a striker as his legs have gone, Hanson can go in at right back, same for Forde, Clare’s another, Woodburn can play four different roles, Sykes can go... well, all over the bloody place it seems. We’re regularly being told there are players who need to learn to play somewhere else or who can do a job. Here’s a thought... sign players who play in the position you want improving and just make them better at it? Sign a right back and improve them? Sign a winger and improve them? Sign a midfielder and improve them? Worst case scenario they’re a bit average and hopefully get better over time, best case scenario they’re decent to begin with and soon become very good. Maybe we would actually start a season fairly well if we weren’t always shuffling players around and trying to retrain some of them, and if on top of that we didn’t seem to regularly be bringing in players who aren’t fit or are carrying knocks that then turn into injuries. It’s always about potential. “They’ll be better when they learn a new role. They’ll be great once they get fit. They’re a real asset if we can get to the bottom of the injury.”

I would love to just sign players who play the roles we want them to play, and who are fit and ready. But maybe that just isn’t sexy enough.

EDIT: I’ve seen the squad cap cited as a reason why you need players moving all over the place. Even with a 20-man limit of players over 21 that’s basically two players for every role. You can have two keepers, four full backs, three centre backs, five centre midfielders, four wingers and two centre forwards who are all over 21, and that’s fine. That’s without anybody genuinely being able to play two roles or including anybody under 21.
You can't tell me that it wasn't put to Clare that having covered RB before that he was wanted to develop that role and he agreed. Well he then got another offer too good to refuse.

Well then maybe Karl's not the best judge of quality then? Especially when our options on the right recently have been Lee (better as number 10), Barker (left side), Shodipo (left side), Hall (past it), Henry (out of form), Forde & Sykes (who knows where their best positions are). To loan him out specifically to free up space - only to bring in other players who weren't better suited to the right wing - was poor imo.
I do wonder how much of all that's being complained of here, and with much justification, is down to the fact that Karl has recently been given a new 4 year contract and clearly has a much more influential role in the football club, on and off the field, than merely Manager/Coach. It seems he's virtually bomb proof and has no reason to be looking over his shoulder when things go badly on the pitch. It's also possible that with all the off the field activity at present there is no particular desire to fund Championship football until "all the ducks are in a row".

And when we play well it’s luck or the other team is utter s**t.
We have played well this season but usually against the lesser sides
Last season I would say we we performed better overall
At times we played wonderful football, regularly scoring and if we did lose it was close
I think apart from the unbeaten run we have gone backwards this season
Number of factors not least injuries but we look disjointed at times

I find it quite concerning that a number of fans on here make much more sense and seem to say things much more common sense that I agree with than KR.

- Play players in their natural position
- Don't sign players with bad injury records
- Try and win a game from the start

No one on here can't handle a defeat. We all support Oxford United FFS we're used to it by now. The manner of last nights defeat was completely and utterly unacceptable. I should have trusted my instinct after looking at the team sheet and not wasted a tenner.

I find it quite concerning that a number of fans on here make much more sense and seem to say things much more common sense that I agree with than KR.

- Play players in their natural position
- Don't sign players with bad injury records
- Try and win a game from the start

No one on here can't handle a defeat. We all support Oxford United FFS we're used to it by now. The manner of last nights defeat was completely and utterly unacceptable. I should have trusted my instinct after looking at the team sheet and not wasted a tenner.
Oddly we did look really up for it and dangerous in the first ten minutes and I thought we were going to thrash them, but then we got nervous when we saw they had some nimble players, and it all fell apart from there.

Oddly we did look really up for it and dangerous in the first ten minutes and I thought we were going to thrash them, but then we got nervous when we saw they had some nimble players, and it all fell apart from there.

Apart from a couple of corners and chances for Atkinson I wouldn't say it looked like we were going to thrash them.

Don't matter to must as we must look like Champions League contenders every week or else we're just a s**t mid table team with s**t players and manager

How dare they have a poor performance or dare lose a game of football.

It’s about a trend, not a game or two in isolation.

Current trend has been downward and we no longer look like a team with the ability to challenge for a playoff place.

I think supporters are entitled to vent some frustration.

Champions League ! haha, overreaction on your own part = slightly ironic.

• React
Reactions: ljs
I do wonder how much of all that's being complained of here, and with much justification, is down to the fact that Karl has recently been given a new 4 year contract and clearly has a much more influential role in the football club, on and off the field, than merely Manager/Coach. It seems he's virtually bomb proof and has no reason to be looking over his shoulder when things go badly on the pitch. It's also possible that with all the off the field activity at present there is no particular desire to fund Championship football until "all the ducks are in a row".
I think there is something to be admired by the board sticking to their man, especially when you look at the likes of Salford sacking their manager after 4 months and a week after winning a trophy. And at the end of the day, it is up to the owners whether they think their money is being put to good use by Karl and the recruitment team for what they're getting on the pitch.

I think you're right in suggesting there's an underlying frustration that Karl has become too powerful in the club because there's not that public figurehead who's going to regularly come on the airwaves to talk about off-field stuff. Tiger and McWilliams do the fans forums every so often, but in terms of regular public-facing comms there has to be more from someone other than the manager.

The 4 year deal was massively overboard, and I think it strikes me as being reflective of Tiger as a person. He seems optimistic and a bit of a people pleaser, which perhaps isn't the best trait to have when owning a football club and being met with a brilliant KR run of form twice a season. The deal was borne of Tiger being on a high from the club overachieving the previous season (albeit losing pathetically to Wycombe) and him getting too excited. But if the other board members take control, they'll probably have the money to sack the manager (there'll come some point where lack of progress will hamper return on investment), and I doubt would be as easily impressed as Tiger seems to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom