Tickets 2022/23 season tickets

I would have expected a marginal increase in price for this season, after all, the club has kept any rises to a minimum in recent times. However, the marketing approach to encouraging existing ST holders has not been particularly exciting nor has the package appeared to be complete - discounts, U's cash, 1893/lounge etc.
If the club are serious about encouraging new ST holders to come forth and existing holders to renew, where are the "early bird" discounts? Where is the enticement to purchase once existing holders have had their renewal period? It is always said that ST's are the crucial cash flow for the club and yet, here we are again with a very weak and understated campaign. Why can we not be now reading about the new kit, the offers incoming to the shop?
It's come to something that we don't even get anything physical to show our support unless we fork out an extra tenner. Oh yes, pardon me, I forgot the "Supporter wall" We all remember that, don't we? Our names on the wall in the tunnel - that bit we didn't get to see. (and, don't forget, that was a cock up initially. All those who had donated their ST cost to the club were left out, in favour of new ST purchases.) At least that is to be moved to "more public facing location" - we shall see.

I don't like being so critical and coming across as a moaner but, if the club has a marketing section, what do they do all day?
It's a good point, OUFC is a big concern but seems to do less marketing than many far smaller companies.

.... if every single home game - including PJT and early round League cup ( and FA cup ) are not attracting crowds of around 10K , the marketing department- IMO - arent doing enough marketing ...... ;)
We must bear in mind it's different seasons so other Owners/People are involved but it's still the club and I recall a few seasons back the Drive after Winning said 1st Round League cup match was a request to shell out £100 on a flexi or similar.

Interest has dwindled for The Cup games across the whole game and we'll all have similar ideas as to why that is but again i believe it was IL who kept prices at Full price for a cup game against Charlton (There was a Discount previously ) using they were once a prem club as the USP which was a massive own goal.

it doesn't take a Genius to work out that some matches simply will not be an attraction BUT The game itself can be just as attractive / full of drama Goals etc as any other Yet there appears over the years a sit back and let there be empty seats rather than try fill the place that could lead to returning paying customers.

I agree that marketing is no where near as good as it should be for a club with our aspirations.

We saw from the dot counting and attendance threads how much can be achieved by word of mouth and social media engagement, but this was driven by individual fans. The club were aware of this threads and responded by responding to things discussed on here, but it always felt a little reactive rather than proactive.

Season ticket sales are so important at driving up attendance and revenue. We saw that the bigger games can generate their own interest and we should still see several 10k+ games next season. But an increase in season ticket sales will add numbers to the wet Tuesday night Accrington games. We should be aiming to get the average attendance up around 9000, and healthy season ticket sales will be essential in doing this.

The frustrating thing is that we've had 12 months to plan for this season ticket launch. We could have looked at those that we're targeting to upgrade from casuals to regulars, regulars to season ticket holders.

The media launch, which is usually very good, could have featured families who attended for the first time this season but will now be looking at getting season tickets (and showing how these are affordable with the family stand and installment payments). They could have featured older fans who may not have got an ST last summer because of covid concerns but now feel safe enough to return. They could have featured lapsed ST holders or those who have returned in good numbers since Christmas.

And in every way, the language could have been better to present that an eTicket is cheaper rather than a traditional card costing more. Other benefits could have been included, pre-ordering shirts to arrive before the first home game, kids being mascots, season ticket days at the training ground etc. A little imagination and forethought could snd should have made the season ticket launch something that gets everyone talking for all the right reasons.
I’m thinking Niall Mc Williams maybe to blame here regarding the marketing

He is the MD after all, I would of thought we should be targeting the extra fans who turned up especially since the turn of the year.

It shouldn’t be hard to target those 2/3000 people who attended those games, if we can’t there is something drastically wrong.

There are many people on this forum who come from a marketing background who would be only to willing to put forward ideas.

Our friends down the road have had a kid goes free with adult scheme this season. It may have cost them a bit but their average attendance is a thousand more than ours and they are a league below. Not saying it has to be this but some incentive must surely be looked at

I have to say that if there is no early bird discount (which used to be used to encourage us to renew back in March!), then I cannot see the logical reason for making new ST holders pay 30 quid more than those of us who have had one for years. Aren't the non-ST holders who boosted the crowd towards the end of the season *exactly* those who we want to encourage to buy one?

I worry that due to the current financial strains, non ST fans will be unable to afford £359 and we might not have as many ST's as last season.

Does it also mean ST holders who might not have renewed last season due to Covid, will need to pay the extra?

I worry that due to the current financial strains, non ST fans will be unable to afford £359 and we might not have as many ST's as last season.

Does it also mean ST holders who might not have renewed last season due to Covid, will need to pay the extra?

Yes I'm in the category of your second point. I never asked for a refund and I didn't get one last season because of the uncertainty but now im expected to pay £30 extra than current season ticket holders. 😐 Think the club made a big mistake here by not having an early bird for new season tickets.

And for anyone with doubts about what can and cannot be done:

Pompey - Prices frozen

And Ipswich don't have one early bird offer, they have two!

At the end of the day. The numbers won’t lie when it comes to how many season ticket holders we have for our first home game.

That lot from down the road have just passed 2,500 -
5,000 is our target… let’s see if it’s met.
This is good marketing by them, we should be doing this for every 500 sold, making a big point of it.
Same with home gates when we get past 6000 make a big announcement, our own dot counters Colin and the Curragh do it to great effect our club should be doing it too

Same as.
The way its been marketed i really dont see a massive hike in new season ticket sales beyond existing/ current holders.
Yes I'm in the category of your second point. I never asked for a refund and I didn't get one last season because of the uncertainty but now im expected to pay £30 extra than current season ticket holders. 😐 Think the club made a big mistake here by not having an early bird for new season tickets.

And for anyone with doubts about what can and cannot be done:

Pompey - Prices frozen

And Ipswich don't have one early bird offer, they have two!
Using the Pompey example, their cheapest adult ST (before 8 July) at £389 is still £60 more than our cheapest adult renewal of £329, and £30 more than our full price general sale ST price of £359.

So should we have put the prices up more to match our competitors?

Their "executive" at £499 is presumably similar to our SSU Premium at £500.

I’m thinking Niall Mc Williams maybe to blame here regarding the marketing

He is the MD after all, I would of thought we should be targeting the extra fans who turned up especially since the turn of the year.

It shouldn’t be hard to target those 2/3000 people who attended those games, if we can’t there is something drastically wrong.

There are many people on this forum who come from a marketing background who would be only to willing to put forward ideas.

Our friends down the road have had a kid goes free with adult scheme this season. It may have cost them a bit but their average attendance is a thousand more than ours and they are a league below. Not saying it has to be this but some incentive must surely be looked at
I can assure you it's not down to Niall McWilliams, nor is it down to a lack of desire and effort on his part to get certain departments to perform as we all think they should. That's all I'm prepared to say on the matter, so please don't ask for details.

I can assure you it's not down to Niall McWilliams, nor is it down to a lack of desire and effort on his part to get certain departments to perform as we all think they should. That's all I'm prepared to say on the matter, so please don't ask for details.
I would concur with @Colin B on this. Nial McWilliams has his hands full with all that is going on around the club.

As to the individual departments, I would hope that performance and results are being considered with some diligence.

Using the Pompey example, their cheapest adult ST (before 8 July) at £389 is still £60 more than our cheapest adult renewal of £329, and £30 more than our full price general sale ST price of £359.

So should we have put the prices up more to match our competitors?

Their "executive" at £499 is presumably similar to our SSU Premium at £500.
It was more the principle of getting things done and having an offer but, yes, their prices do seem excessive!

I think our marketing team needs a shake up they seem abit pants N MCw said he wants record numbers of ST holders this season but then the club put the prices up for people who renewed from last season doesn't make sense then they go and charge you an extra £10 for a piece of plastic

I still find £420 for the North stand expensive when the South lower is the same price, North Stand needs to be in the middle of £330 (OM) and South Lower (£420).

£380 would be a good price for the North Stand!

I'd argue the North Stand has a better view than the South lower.

I'm more than happy with the price of £329 for a good seat at back of East Stand. If I use it 18 times it works out at £18.27 a match (Only £14.30 if you go to every game). Priority for away tickets and easy reserve of my seat for big home Cup games. To me that is very good value for money.
But then it is during the season they need to offer extra gimmees at various intervals depending on circumstances eg £1 for pizza pot group games, voucher for club shop, bring a friend for £5 (say Accy on a Tuesday night) as and when they think it is appropriate etc, etc.

It was more the principle of getting things done and having an offer but, yes, their prices do seem excessive!
That’s probably down to the players wages. They may have almost 20k home crowd but I bet to live within their means and the keeping within the rules

Back
Top Bottom